• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Grimoire of Zero, Kabukibu! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
boznia wrote:
It amazes me that some people don't understand the Crunchyroll/Funimation partnership was a response to Amazon entering the market in a big way. They knew this was coming, and instead of competing against one another, banded together to remain competitive against Amazon.

I knew it was coming but i didn't think they would work so closely with Sentai and get so many titles in one season
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
This is hilarious, that's what CR and Funimation get for trying to establish a monopoly, this is Sentai's revenge. Sentai got lucky with Amazon.

I dont see how this is good. We already knew before the crunchy funi partnership that Amazon was getting into the anime game. I just dont think any of us expected them (amazon) to get this many high profile shows in one season. And it sucks for dub fans like me as well as for people who dont to pay through two walls

I was expecting this to happen eventually, don't you think it would'be been weird for Amazon to go out of their way to make a dedicated streaming service for anime and not try to nab all the new hot titles as soon as possible? This was inevitable. Sure, I don't agree with a double pay wall, but there's nothing that can be done about it, at least right now. This isn't great but a monopoly from CR and Funi wouldn't have been better either. The US anime industry is in a weird place right now and I can't wait to see how things develop.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Sentai can stuff it with Amazon and Strike!, I'm still watching Grimoire of Zero.

Hopefully it won't be exclusive to Strike! or only for US, for those who prefer more legitimate ways of watching...
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
The thing about seeing a train wreck, at first it doesn't look too bad ... then the rest of the train gets there.

So, we are seeing the rest of the train arrive on the scene. It does not look good at all.

Mark Gosdin
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Sentai can stuff it with Amazon and Strike!, I'm still watching Grimoire of Zero.

Hopefully it won't be exclusive to Strike! or only for US, for those who prefer more legitimate ways of watching...

It's confirmed already that both of these are exclusive to Strike.
(you can find the info on Sentai's website)
WikiSonic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
After consistently watching simulcasts for several years now, I think I might actually take a break this season. I've accepted that I can't get every show on one service; that's perfectly understandable and streaming anime up to now has always been very inexpensive. That being said, Anime Strike requires me to pay for Prime which I simply do not have a need for. Just to support anime I need to pay towards a service I don't want, and that's an awful value proposition. Competition is great but Amazon isn't concerned about treating anime fans fairly. It's just a business to them, which is fine, but to a potential customer like me their business practices have turned me off from streaming anime for the time being.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
bs3311 wrote:
YESSSSSS! So glad they got Grimoire! Now to have Jovan Jackson voice the furry!

Are you really expecting a dub from Sentai?

No. The last comment was a joke poking at a potential trend if it gets dubbed. That black actors would be used to voice anthropomorphic characters. I would like a dubbed just for that. But I wouldn't mind that it doesn't get dubbed either. Hell, certain titles got dubbed because of fan requests rather than just stream numbers so there's a silver lining. Plus license costs is another factor.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
boznia wrote:
It amazes me that some people don't understand the Crunchyroll/Funimation partnership was a response to Amazon entering the market in a big way. They knew this was coming, and instead of competing against one another, banded together to remain competitive against Amazon.

I knew it was coming but i didn't think they would work so closely with Sentai and get so many titles in one season

I think CR-Funi partnership was a response to the sky rocketing of license prices, which they might have caused with their aggressive bidding. If Amazon was going to make big push on anime, I rather seeing working alongside Sentai than just doing things in their own.

Some of you might get the impression that I am looking at the Amazon-Sentai partnership with rosy eyes, but I also want CR-Funi to do well. I want to see them, alongside Netflix, engage in a healthy competition that bring more money to the anime industry and benefits the fans.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Hate to watch Kabukibu illegally like I did with Scums Wish but if it's good I'll totally buy it along with Flip Flappers (if Sentai is still gonna release on BD).
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The Anime ecosystem, if you will, is not terribly robust. Historically it's been smaller businesses here in the US, in Japan, and elsewhere that make it up. Competition is great most of the time, but it can have unintended consequences. I think we are seeing that.

Mark Gosdin
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
boznia wrote:

I think CR-Funi partnership was a response to the sky rocketing of license prices, which they might have caused with their aggressive bidding. If Amazon was going to make big push on anime, I rather seeing working alongside Sentai than just doing things in their own.

Some of you might get the impression that I am looking at the Amazon-Sentai partnership with rosy eyes, but I also want CR-Funi to do well. I want to see them, alongside Netflix, engage in a healthy competition that bring more money to the anime industry and benefits the fans.

Except for a previously uninterested, non-invested, 3rd party company coming in and using their buying power to completely undermine the largest international Anime community which is already very niche, is not "Healthy Competition"... While myself and 1 million other users pay for Crunchyroll's subscription, the vast majority of their userbase are free users watching with ADs. CR pays the anime industry for every view of their episode, which goes directly back to industry. Taking away all those free views for shows hurts the industry, not helps it, as the same amount of viewers aren't going to pay to watch the show on Amazon. And what about when CR subs drop below 1 million? 500,000? 250,000? Hope it's worth having "healthy competition" then.

You want to know how to destroy any industry? Take a small market with an organized buyer base, introduce a massive company to destroy the existing agreements with money. Then watch it crumble as they walk away when it's not profitable anymore.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I there goes two more shows I will probably never be able to see.

Sentai/Amazon, good luck dealing with low traffic and piracy this season.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Anyone claiming Crunchy and Funi were going to have a "monopoly" is delusional. The partnership was made clear to be a response to amazon and netflix getting involved in the market. There was never going to be a monopoly with those kinds of players to compete against.

Sorry, Sentai. I've not cared for your dubs lately and if your subs will be behind amazon's double paywall, you've just killed any interest. I'll be catching up on my crunchy backlog in the meantime.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Oh wow, did Funiroll sleep on their laurels just because they had secured HeroAca and Titan? Sentai's taking a lot of the big titles whilst CR's left with a lot of scraps. Funi didn't even manage to peg that second season of Bahamut, which makes me worried about Uchouten Kazoku getting to Crunchyroll

I don't think it was so much that they relaxed as Amazon has the money to completely outbid them if Amazon so chooses. Given that Amazon is expecting anime fans to pay even more on top of Prime, I'm sure they realized that they would need to stock it with lots of exclusive content. At this point, I'm hoping that people do truly "vote with their wallets" if they are unhappy, since the Amazon has no incentive to make anime part of regular Prime again if people cave and subscribe to Strike.

The CR/Funi partnership is, in large part, an effort to try to keep licensing costs down by not directly competing with each other, but that might go out the window if Amazon simply offers more than anyone can reasonably match, and I'm sure that the production committees are all too happy to see a company that can afford to pay more than many shows are probably worth.

Personally, this has gotten old real quick. I'm not paying more to get Strike since I don't like that Amazon is charging even more just for anime, and I've come to enjoy simuldubs, which obviously isn't happening with Strike, and Sentai may not dub these shows at all. The only good thing is I might catch up on my backlog since I won't have as much to watch this season.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
This is getting VERY annoying. I think at this point it's almost obvious there's some Amazon money going around these parts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6