• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Columnist Criticizes Japanese Environmental Ministry's Moe Girls as Sexist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
slau783 wrote:
I think if Morooka really wants to make a difference she needs to tackle the issues of gender inequality and sexism in Egypt and other middle east countries before going after this.

But countries in the Middle East and the like are a bastion of gender equality already, didn't you know? That's why so few attack them or criticise them. Saudi Arabia are even on the human rights council of the UN for further proof of their love and respect of peoples rights and beliefs, others will surely follow. That's why they have to go after the real problems such as this.

In all seriousness this type of thing needs to be dealt with swiftly. It is already infecting western countries and Japan, like most rationable countries should try and keep it away. Reminds me of the Stacey Dooley (ugh) interview she had with Takeshi Nogami where she tried to force her agenda on them. Disgusting was that. He shot her down and countered her perfectly but that interview was strangely left out of the programme. Odd.
Rainbowlink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
slau783 wrote:
I think if Morooka really wants to make a difference she needs to tackle the issues of gender inequality and sexism in Egypt and other middle east countries before going after this.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that, mate. I'm half Japanese, but I'm not particularly interested in flying halfway across the world to campaign against its labor practices—I'd rather do the same in the place where I already live. Considering she is a columnist in a Japanese newspaper and is half-Japanese herself, I think the same logic fits.
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
omegaproxy wrote:
They need to add male muscular characters to this environmental ad thing.

Exactly. That way they would also satisfy women and gay men too. (Not everyone is hetero).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Yep, just what I expected from anime fans - a bunch of butthurt over the truth. Look, I'm an anime fan myself, but I can easily see how people could find the images to be sexist. Things that make otaku go, "dawwwwwwwwww!!!" are likely to strike non-otaku as sexist - like making female characters look child-like. You may not agree with the opinion, but it is hardly a wacky, way out there point of view. A lot of anime is sexist. This is no huge secret. No point in being ostriches with our heads stuck in the sand about it.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yep, just what I expected from anime fans - a bunch of butthurt over the truth. Look, I'm an anime fan myself, but I can easily see how people could find the images to be sexist. Things that make otaku go, "dawwwwwwwwww!!!" are likely to strike non-otaku as sexist - like making female characters look child-like. You may not agree with the opinion, but it is hardly a wacky, way out there point of view. A lot of anime is sexist. This is no huge secret. No point in being ostriches with our heads stuck in the sand about it.

*sigh* your one of those feminists aren't you. Shudub and leave this forum.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
The only problem I saw is that there was no male counterpart. I'm a straight man and I can see that this could have been totally avoided if they just added a guy to it.

Whether it's sexist or not doesn't concern me, but this was clearly ONLY aimed at young adult men.
fathergoat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
You know I used to think the world was a rough place. I was wrong. Apparently there is so little going wrong in the world that people are devoting time, any length of time, debating the the "sexism" of a drawing. Considering this is what people are worried about right now I can only conclude that the world must be f**king amazeballs and I am going to go out and enjoy it.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Instead of having knee-jerk reactions to criticism, maybe we should acknowledge that there are a lot of non-otaku who view this kind of thing as "problematic". It isn't just newspaper columnists and twitter communities who have a problem with this kind of stuff; your average "man on the street" is going to see moe girls as pretty ridiculous when encountering them out of context.

The idea that we can't be presented with criticism without turning it into a big diatribe about larger social and political issues makes us look reactionary and hostile to non-anime fans at best, and like fragile, frightened little children at worst.

fantaselion wrote:

Get off my lawn.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:
Blood- wrote:

And you are of those losers who talks tough on an anonymous message board. Why don't you leave this forum and actually talk to a real, live human female for once.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
The only problem I saw is that there was no male counterpart. I'm a straight man and I can see that this could have been totally avoided if they just added a guy to it.

Whether it's sexist or not doesn't concern me, but this was clearly ONLY aimed at young adult men.

Yeah, no. The presence of a male figure does not magically erase the presence of a sexist image. Look, the whole appeal of moe characters is to make male otaku feel protective towards them. These are fragile females that need our help. The whole concept is inherently sexist and that includes making female characters look more child-like than they actually are. Again, I repeat: I am a moe fan. I love cute girls doing cute things shows (generally). But if you can't recognize the inherent sexism in a phrase like "cute girls doing cute things" then what I can I say?
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
It's anita sarkesian in disguise.

You can't fool me.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Reminds me of the Stacey Dooley (ugh) interview she had with Takeshi Nogami where she tried to force her agenda on them. Disgusting was that. He shot her down and countered her perfectly but that interview was strangely left out of the programme. Odd.

I kept waiting for ANN to report on this interview/twitter exchange since ANN typically loves to delve into the twitterverse of the anime industry, but I don't think I saw an article about Nogami's tweets regarding the BBC interview. Did I just miss it?
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Nicely done. A mixed-race Muslim university-lecturer/mainstream-media-writer accuses government-bureaucrat global-warming proponents of producing sexist artwork.

I couldn't write better flamebait if I tried.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Then they should find a better target instead of going after something as tame as this.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:

Yeah, no. The presence of a male figure does not magically erase the presence of a sexist image. Look, the whole appeal of moe characters is to make male otaku feel protective towards them. These are fragile females that need our help. The whole concept is inherently sexist and that includes making female characters look more child-like than they actually are. Again, I repeat: I am a moe fan. I love cute girls doing cute things shows (generally). But if you can't recognize the inherent sexism in a phrase like "cute girls doing cute things" then what I can I say?

Except for "cute girls doing cute things" or "cute boys doing cute things" aren't sexist. Just like "sexy men beating each other up" in MMA isn't sexist either. The problem with today's culture is throwing around words like "sexist" or "racist" without understanding what it actually means. Being uncomfortable by the way an image looks, doesn't make it sexist; that's not how it works. Please explain to me how the image provided is enforcing a gender role on women? Because someone finds it objectively attractive that makes it sexist? ..... Think about what you're saying.

Guess we should never take pictures of pretty people and only use what are deemed "ugly people" for any sort of advertising medium. Since anything cute or remotely attractive is automatically sexist according to the columnist. I am all for gender equality and have participated in multiple women's rallies across the US. But portrayal of sexuality IS NOT the same thing as inequality and the argument that portrayal of sexual men or women is sexist, hurts the legitimacy of true feminism. I find it incredibly offensive.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7