• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Apocrypha TV Anime Reveals New Promo Video, Cast, July Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Based on the info you provided, ultimatemegax, I'm going to assume AoA will have the NA physical release rights. I really can't see AoJ licensing this to another publisher.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Netflix actually bothered to get this? They must really want to cash in on the Fate fame. Rolling Eyes I'd prefer they go for more interesting projects like Masaaki Yuasa's Devilman adapation but hey can't blame them. Money talks.

Uhh, you're already getting a Netflix produced Devilman anime. Why complain that they want to stream something else as well? Seriously confused by this logic.. Confused

I meant to say this: "I'd prefer they go for more interesting projects like when they got Masaaki Yuasa's Devilman adaptation." I was careless and left out some crucial words. That's my error, sorry.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Considering they already have Zero and UBW, I dare say they have already cashed in on Fate fame. And of course a streaming site that is not primarily concerned with anime will go for popular series. Look down on it all you want. That doesn't change the fact that many find it interesting to say the least.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:

I meant to say this: "I'd prefer they go for more interesting projects like when they got Masaaki Yuasa's Devilman adaptation." I was careless and left out some crucial words. That's my error, sorry.

Even so, does them getting this inherently mean they can't get another show that you consider interesting? Having a wider variety of stuff seems like a pretty good idea to me. And they still have quite a lot of money and plenty of other movies/shows coming down the line.

ultimatemegax wrote:
Blood- wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Not that they aren't involved, but just because A-1 is animating it doesn't mean it is automatically an Aniplex show.

The question is if Aniplex is on the Production Committee and that I don't know. It was for Fate/Zero and F/SN UBW the TV series. A-1 does good work, of course, but when it comes to the Type-Moon stuff, ufotable is my studio of choice.

Aniplex hosts the official website (look at author for site).
Aniplex streamed the promotional video linked on their Youtube account.
Aniplex mentioned it at their AnimeJapan 2017 booth.
The show is airing on the stations Aniplex uses for their prime Saturday night block.

They're likely leading the production committee much like Fate/Zero, Fate/Stay Night UBW/Heaven's Feel, and Fate/Grand Order. We don't know if they held international rights for this or not though.

So I found the author of the site by literally inspecting the code of the webpage, but there is an easier way to do that, right? I checked the webpage pretty thoroughly(I thought) the other day, and didn't see it anywhere...
But yeah, like Blood- I'm definitely expecting this to be AoA now, especially.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
@relyat08

but that Devilman production has nothing to do with streaming licensing situations like the case is here. Just because Netflix licensed the stream doesn't mean they funded the actual show. The studios, directors, animators were already paid before Netflix even negotiated. If anything, Aniplex (of Japan) deserves some credit for continuous production/financing of the Fate franchise.

Anyways, I see it as unfortunate. Only Japanese viewers get to see it on their usual late night TV broadcasts, while everyone else globally is left out in the cold until a year or more later for the physical release, which I'm assuming would either be from Aniplex or Sentai.

Personally, I see this as their experimentation phase. Trying out what titles or type of titles work and what doesn't. Just look at Hulu and their purge last year of most of their entire anime catalog. It's odd that they would license this now when they haven't done anything for the other shows. What is the crossover between Type Moon fans and Netflix subscribers? I don't think Fate viewers will sign up just for this.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote
^At worst, I don't see us waiting more than 6 months for Netflix to stream it, and that's only if this is two cours and they don't do what they did with Kuromukuro and stream each cours after it's finished. If this is one cours it will almost certainly only be three months.

Given that they have been doing this for years, I don't think of this an experimental phase but how they approach the medium at this point. Hulu actually didn't end up purging a lot of their anime catalog.

As mentioned earlier, Netflix already has Fate/Zero and the Unlimited Blade Works TV series so this is far from their first experience with the Fate franchise.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
@relyat08

but that Devilman production has nothing to do with streaming licensing situations like the case is here. Just because Netflix licensed the stream doesn't mean they funded the actual show. The studios, directors, animators were already paid before Netflix even negotiated. If anything, Aniplex (of Japan) deserves some credit for continuous production/financing of the Fate franchise.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here? They are both going to be on Netflix. And I don't see how this is a problem for people who like Devilman, and similar stuff, but dislike Fate. That's really all I have been saying.

Quote:
Anyways, I see it as unfortunate. Only Japanese viewers get to see it on their usual late night TV broadcasts, while everyone else globally is left out in the cold until a year or more later for the physical release, which I'm assuming would either be from Aniplex or Sentai.

It seems extremely likely that it will be AoA at this point. But I agree. I am not a fan of waiting for Netflix streams. I don't personally mind waiting and marathoning stuff, but I know many people who do. And many who won't wait. And I hate to see what it does to the discussion of a show, as I've mentioned before.

Quote:
Personally, I see this as their experimentation phase. Trying out what titles or type of titles work and what doesn't. Just look at Hulu and their purge last year of most of their entire anime catalog. It's odd that they would license this now when they haven't done anything for the other shows. What is the crossover between Type Moon fans and Netflix subscribers? I don't think Fate viewers will sign up just for this.

Well they already streamed most of the major parts of the Fate franchise at some point, so regardless of whether or not hardcore Fate fans are subscribers, they certainly have plenty of users who have seen Fate stuff, and will no doubt check this out. And yeah, I don't really think this is experimental anymore. They have a show pretty much every season, and it seems soon they'll probably have even more looking at the various projects in the works(kinda curious whatever happened to Perfect Bones). And they continue to do the wait till the end of the season thing, so clearly it is working on some level. I guess the sentiment that there are enough Netflix-only anime fans, is probably true, and they really just don't need to rely on hardcore fans that will go pirate it rather than waiting.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Netflix, over 14 months ago we were told they would stream a 12-episode original anime called "Perfect Bones" in over 190 countries. How about an update, Netflix?
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
Again i dont see it being Aniplex of America. All other Fate works up to this point while done by AoJ were all done by Sentai. I dont see that changing yet. Just a guess though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Again i dont see it being Aniplex of America. All other Fate works up to this point while done by AoJ were all done by Sentai. I dont see that changing yet. Just a guess though.

A real bad guess. It was already mentioned in this thread that AoJ was on the production committees for Fate/Zero and F/SN: UBW the TV series. Those physical releases were handled in North America by AoA.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
For Legal streaming, the Fate franchise is spread to a few different sites, Viewster has the original Fate/Stay Night 2006 and the 2010 UBW movie along with 2014 UBW. Crunchyroll only has the new series, including Kalied Liner Prisma Illya, but not Studio Deen's original anime or the movie, and Netflix is the only place you can see the new 2014 UBW English dub. It's gonna be weird waiting for Fate/Apocrypha but I'll binge watch it for sure! Fate is one of my favorite franchises and I've watched everything except Kalied Liner Prisma Illya, mainly because I'm focusing on other anime at the moment.

I also imported the UBW 2014 DVDs from the UK, because they were super cheap, now I need to get Fate/Zero.
kotelo_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote
TMfans will just wait for fansubs (if there are any left) or watch it RAW.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3