• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Saga of Tanya the Evil

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Theron Martin
" I'm not an expert on identifying tank designs, but those looked much more like WW2-era designs than WW1-era ones. (Of course, engaging in military equipment anachronisms has practically become a regular feature of the series.)"

The Tanks are Panzer III J/Ls and yes as the story/war progresses more WWII equipment&tactics&people etc gets thrown into the mix.

Not Frances fall is a version of the original Manstein Plan(1940) combined with Napoleon's plan for Austerlitz, with the added touch of 'The Mines in the Battle of Messines'(1917).
Oh and those V1s on steroids.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Theron Martin
"though Tanya's personal squad didn't get the glory target, interestingly enough; that leaves me wondering if what they missed will come back to bite them next episode, since it seems odd that the story would deprive its protagonist of such a sweet job without good reason."

Well the anime,to me at least, is trying to disprove "You can't have your cake and eat it".
In other words the anime has trimmed/changed a number of plot points&backstories but has left open ended bits of the original story.
I really get the feeling that the anime's story started getting rushed after episode 6.

In the Anime during episode 6 Tanya takes out a not-United Kingdom observation post(in the LN she sank a not British spy sub).

That 'unidentified bunker' Tanya's squad found in episode 10 was another not-United Kingdom observation outpost/command post.

These actions lead to drawing the not-British into declaring war on the Empire-also the not-British come to the conclusion that there is a mole/spy,feeding intel to the Empire.
but again the anime has left the bare-bones in without the meat.

And on that note, the anime by having Anson live and part of the non-British, will cause confusion on how the not-USA enters the war.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Anson better stay dead this time after Tanya shows him what a real death battle is! As for this episode tho yea that explosion would have made even megumin jealous, so awesome. Looking forward to the final two.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
yes, a lot of weapons in this series are more world war 2 designs (or at the very least post world war I), the tanks, the planes, the automatic clip fed rifles, flamethrowers etc. It's basically the settting of world war 1 with world war II equipment...that and mages.

I'm curious as to being x's motivations, if he gave Anton Sioux a power boost (which he seems to have considering he took down one of Tanya's men with a single shot) what happens if Anton actually kills Tanya, and only thanks to being x's power. That would seem to go against the whole point of what's happening to her.

btw, I love Vikoriya, the after credits scene with her sleep casting/punching was pretty hilarious, the fact that's she's like a loyal puppy to Tanya is cute also.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Theron Martin
" I'm not an expert on identifying tank designs, but those looked much more like WW2-era designs than WW1-era ones. (Of course, engaging in military equipment anachronisms has practically become a regular feature of the series.)"

As Nordhmmer said, it is a PzIII lang, which, unlike the earlier anachronisms, makes no sense at all (both the Me323 and Super Fi103 were unnecessary as both could be replaced by time-appropriate equipment, but at least they fit the role). The Pz III was a tank killer, it was useless as infantry support (the 5cm could fire HE rounds, but they were too fast and too light, so in this role it is pretty much a very large machine gun carrier) and in this case, there were better time-appropriate designs, the StuPz Oberschlesien (I'd love to see that animated) and the Grosstraktor, both of which would work better as infantry support.
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I'm curious as to being x's motivations, if he gave Anton Sioux a power boost (which he seems to have considering he took down one of Tanya's men with a single shot) what happens if Anton actually kills Tanya, and only thanks to being x's power. That would seem to go against the whole point of what's happening to her.

Still not certain if Anton has a power boost. The fact that the mages' eyes glow when actively using magic is just that - a show magic is being used. As for one-shotting one of Tanya's men.... well, we saw him charging shells at the very beginning of the episode. Seems more likely to me that Anton's shot worked because he brought extra-powerful ammunition to the field. So for now, I am holding Anton as being the same amount of power as before Tanya appeared, just hyper-focused now.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
yes, a lot of weapons in this series are more world war 2 designs (or at the very least post world war I), the tanks, the planes, the automatic clip fed rifles, flamethrowers etc. It's basically the settting of world war 1 with world war II equipment...that and mages.

Um, flamethrowers did exist on the WW1 battlefields. Or are you referring to this particular design for them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote
I find myself kind of digging Tanya's humour, like the coffee bit, or more with how she talked her troops up a bit in the submarine over none of her men better have messed with Viktorya, and then we get the ending where Viktoriya apparently almost blew up the sub in her sleep. You really have to wonder about Viktoriya, that despite her appearance and all, she has kept up along Tanya, she has to be pretty dang dangerous. Is it actually kind of creepy that she can stay so much the same after being through so much?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
#844391 wrote:

Um, flamethrowers did exist on the WW1 battlefields. Or are you referring to this particular design for them?

The anime seems to be portraying the Wechselapparat M1917 'Wex'
or the flammenwerfer model 40 ( I lean towards the 'Wex').
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:57 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
You really have to wonder about Viktoriya, that despite her appearance and all, she has kept up along Tanya, she has to be pretty dang dangerous. Is it actually kind of creepy that she can stay so much the same after being through so much?

Not really, we all are different. Some people adapt better than others. To survive a war you must keep your wits, and clarity of mind, otherwise you are going to die, you still might die even though, but at least your chances are better than the other cannon fodder who are depressed and suffering from other mental challenges.

Not to mention, all senior personnel are required to set an example for their juniors.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I find myself kind of digging Tanya's humour, like the coffee bit, or more with how she talked her troops up a bit in the submarine...

This whole experience has definitely changed her from the salaryman she used to be. From what we saw of her former life, he just did his job and viewed his underlings as disposable tools. It would never have crossed his mind to joke around with them or try to raise their morale (even if it improved their performance), let alone give a damn about their lives. Tanya's still a practical, results-oriented hard-ass, but she's developed a bit of humanity somewhere along the way in this lifetime.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
Don't think I can say enough about this episode and how great it was. One of the highlights for me in this episode that wasn't mentioned in the review is the fact that Tanya was genuinely worried about Weiss when he did that suicidal charge to the point that she didn't hesitate to pray and use her orb at full power even tho she hates doing that.

Aside from the 2 minutes of recap I can even overlook the 2 seconds of rehashed footage from episode 6. Also Aoi Yuuki was totally on point with that tantrum in the locker room.

A+ episode.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
A little disappointed after the reveal of Anson Sioux's miraculous recovery and new mission that he "blows" his chance to take out Tanya (twice?) by hesitating. However, I'm not one to quibble, the action and ending drama are amazing. Indeed, how many times in history have politicians restrained the military in obtaining total victory only to have a new war happen a few years later? Patton/Russia, Schwartzkopf/Iraq as two contemporary examples. I'd guess this means we will get a second season where maybe we'll see Mary Sioux as the hero (?) unless they pull another Marvel and have Anson pop back up after pulling Tanya's number from Ep2. I doubt the writers are so dumb as to do that though...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
^Considering how total victory against the Saddam regime turned out, I'm not sure the politicians were wrong the first time for your latter example, especially given how voluntary the second Iraq war was. Sometimes going for it can be worse than holding back. For another WWII Russia example, one need only consider the German invasion of Russia and how well things turned out for them, not only in that campaign but its effect on their overall war effort. The point isn't to always hold back, just that it is sometimes warranted.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
I think this episode just won episode of the year. The ending was just so powerful, independent of context. This is the personification of knowing the right thing to do and being prevented from it by people who have very good arguments against it. In my career I have been in that spot twice and THIS WAS IT (the only difference is that I talked myself out of the firing squad (unemployment line) rather than depend on Viktoriya).

On the comparison to the real world side of things, the only way Hitler's stop at Dunkirk is wrong is in hindsight. The British (and French - who were mostly left behind) were beaten, why spend a few tanks he did not have (German armaments production did not reach war levels until 1943 and he would need every tank he could get for Russia) on slaughtering troops running away, let the Luftwaffe have them (one of the many promises Goering could not keep, but they still caused quite a bit of damage). Also slaughtering helpless Brits would make a peace treaty with the UK all that more difficult (Churchill, a visionary as always, was just about the only thing that stood in the way).

So the General Staff is "right" and Tanya is "wrong." Only we know that she is right because we know history, and that is the tragedy of the episode (and why I think its theme is so universal).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15