• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf to Release Sound of the Sky, Junjō Romantica Anime on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Nozomi/RS have finally entered the age of Bluray Surprised

Please do BDs for Tamayura too. That's another anime whose backgrounds simply beg for HD.

Thanks to Nichijou, I have one sub only title on BD but thanks to Funimation adding the DVDs for free I don't have to watch it. I did try it, just one of them but the experience was worse than I thought it'd be. What's the use of a better background if you can't turn off the clutter in the foreground? Are Rightstuf BD subs burnt in as well?

It's taken many technological upgrades but we've finally made it back to the days of the sub only VHS tape. Thanks Japan.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
Wow. I hated the fact that Sound of the Sky was released as DVD-only, and I had given up on ever getting it on Blu-ray without buying it from Japan - particularly since it's an Aniplex title, and I figured that it would get the axe soon. Maybe they're actually doing this in part because they're expecting it to get the axe soon and want to get what they can before they lose it.

As I recall, back around when Sound of the Sky was initially released by Nozomi, Shawn Kleckner did an interview with ANNCast and basically said that Blu-ray wasn't selling well enough at the time to be worth releasing stuff with it (and since he runs Right Stuf, he obviously sees what's selling), which was incredibly annoying given that I was already at the point where I didn't want anything on DVD if I could help it, and Sound of the Sky clearly had a Blu-ray release in Japan. However, more recently, when he did an interview with ANNCast, he was talking about how Blu-rays are definitely outselling DVDs and how they found that with the various Gundam series, there was a huge demand for Blu-ray - to the point that they re-released at least one Gundam series that had been DVD-only. So, I guess that on some level, we can thank Gundam fans for this. Smile

Regardless, I'm definitely in favor of replacing my DVD version with a proper Blu-ray version, so this is great news.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Wow. I hated the fact that Sound of the Sky was released as DVD-only, and I had given up on ever getting it on Blu-ray without buying it from Japan - particularly since it's an Aniplex title, and I figured that it would get the axe soon. Maybe they're actually doing this in part because they're expecting it to get the axe soon and want to get what they can before they lose it.

After what happened with FUNimation and the Darker Than Black & Fullmetal Alchemist Blu-ray sets, I can imagine this being the case, especially since Nozomi has had Sound of the Sky since 2010 so It might be a good idea to buy it ASAP when it's out since the set might not be in print for very long.

Speaking of FUNi, it'll be interesting to see what they do with Junjo Romantica 3 with this Blu-ray announcement since they had just released Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi on DVD-only.

Quote:
As I recall, back around when Sound of the Sky was initially released by Nozomi, Shawn Kleckner did an interview with ANNCast and basically said that Blu-ray wasn't selling well enough at the time to be worth releasing stuff with it (and since he runs Right Stuf, he obviously sees what's selling), which was incredibly annoying given that I was already at the point where I didn't want anything on DVD if I could help it, and Sound of the Sky clearly had a Blu-ray release in Japan. However, more recently, when he did an interview with ANNCast, he was talking about how Blu-rays are definitely outselling DVDs and how they found that with the various Gundam series, there was a huge demand for Blu-ray - to the point that they re-released at least one Gundam series that had been DVD-only. So, I guess that on some level, we can thank Gundam fans for this. Smile

Pretty much and hopefully there's more non-Gundam BDs coming. I would love to upgrade my Space Adventure Cobra & Rose of Versailles discs, especially with the former since we already have Blu-ray releases for the movie & the recent series. I'm also waiting for a release date for the Utena BDs so I can buy that series again.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
While it takes very few chances in its premise or themes, Sound of the Sky is certainly lavish enough to justify a higher-definition release. Doubtlessly there will still be an audience for it.

Yeah, I wish they'd take this opportunity to go back and dub it. The visuals definitely deserve the blu-ray treatment. Though if they are doing it to beat out potentially losing the license it kind of makes sense not to further invest in it with something expensive like a dub.

luffypirate85 wrote:
Noice! I missed out on Gundam Thunderbolt as I was between jobs when it was released (it seems like it was an incredibly small batch) Props to those that got a copy. I'm be forever jealous.

Yeah, it's very cool that they are going to give it a US release beyond the import release, especially with the announcement that more of it is being made so it would help that as many as possible get to see it.

Can't wait to finally get Wing on blu-ray and the Igloo stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2