• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
You hit the nail on the head, CrescentWolf! I (falteringly) attempt to restrict myself to wholeseome material, something that could hardly be said of the games of Twister and "Vegetable Racer" we saw, especially considering the latter's means of playing. And this was before Lucoa had even appeared in the episode!

I should note that my Cruchyroll application crashed halfway through watching. It was as if my device was trying to cry "careful now" or words to that effect.

Okay, that's fair enough, different people have different limits so I understand. I don't mind fanservice to a point myself, as long as it doesn't distract from the rest of the show or get too ridiculous.

I actually just got my mom to start watching Dragon Maid with me (plus Demi-chan and, of all things, Konosuba) and it's kinda funny how wrong I was about things I thought she would and wouldn't like or find to be "too much".
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
CrescentWolf wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
You hit the nail on the head, CrescentWolf! I (falteringly) attempt to restrict myself to wholeseome material, something that could hardly be said of the games of Twister and "Vegetable Racer" we saw, especially considering the latter's means of playing. And this was before Lucoa had even appeared in the episode!

I should note that my Cruchyroll application crashed halfway through watching. It was as if my device was trying to cry "careful now" or words to that effect.

Okay, that's fair enough, different people have different limits so I understand. I don't mind fanservice to a point myself, as long as it doesn't distract from the rest of the show or get too ridiculous.

I actually just got my mom to start watching Dragon Maid with me (plus Demi-chan and, of all things, Konosuba) and it's kinda funny how wrong I was about things I thought she would and wouldn't like or find to be "too much".

People often (try quite hard to) forget that parents are sexual beings and were young once, too. It (doesn't?) help that most parents don't really....advertise their particular.....interests and limits? To their kids.

If I may ask, what, if anything, has CrescentMom found 'too much' so far? Smile
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:
CrescentWolf wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

People often (try quite hard to) forget that parents are sexual beings and were young once, too. It (doesn't?) help that most parents don't really....advertise their particular.....interests and limits? To their kids.

If I may ask, what, if anything, has CrescentMom found 'too much' so far? Smile

I dunno, me and my mom have always been pretty open about things like that but I understand what you're saying. To me she's not just my mom, but my best friend I can talk to about anything ya know?

As for her limits of "too much", nothing as of yet but I try to pick and choose what we watch together based on common sense. Meaning nothing too over the top violent or sexy (which would be awkward anyways), or a setting I know she wouldn't care for. But even that doesn't always apply, she's surprised me a couple times. I usually watch a show's first few episodes to judge for myself if it's something we both would enjoy.

To be clear she's no stranger to anime, hell we used to watch it together when it would come on the SyFy (then SciFi) channel (showing my age with that statement lol).

To give you an idea here's what we've watched/are watching together recently:
Konosuba
Dragon-Maid
Demi-chan
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
One Punch Man
Little Witch Academia
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Ghost in the Shell (movies and the series)
Akira
Howl's moving Castle
My Neighbor Totoro

Sorry for the essay response, and I hope this wasn't too far off topic. I'm gonna have to mention the CrescentMom thing to her though, she'll get a kick out of that.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Konosuba's definitely the most...questionable thing on that list, unless you count the sheer WTFery of Akira.

Ever consider showing her like, Mitsudomoe, or Gugure! Kokkuri-San? :3
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lucoa accidentally hitting on a little boy.

accidentally, yeah, right.
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:
Yeah, Konosuba's definitely the most...questionable thing on that list, unless you count the sheer WTFery of Akira.

Ever consider showing her like, Mitsudomoe, or Gugure! Kokkuri-San? :3

Well, the reason I wanted her to see Konosuba is simply because of how funny it is, and she loves it for that reason. She also really enjoyed Akira, go figure right?

As for the shows you mentioned, I'll check them out myself and see if they'd be something she'd enjoy. Thanks for the recommendations. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Ok, I can suspend my disbelief for dragons, magic, inter-dimensional travel, etc., but I'm sorry, when Elma gets hired at Kobayashi's workplace without even knowing what a computer is, let alone how to turn it on, the thread is broken. Snapped! I say! If she can't travel between dimensions on her own, then she doesn't have enough power to magic her way into that job.

Unless! Kobayashi's boss realizes she's a dragon and wants to keep her as a familiar...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:06 am Reply with quote
My assumption is that wizard boss put her in knowing that she is a dragon. I would not be surprised if it came out that he knew pretty much everything, like not just a coincidence that Kobayashi happened to meet Tohru in the forest. Maybe they are the third group which are the sit and watch that they mentioned, and they are seeing how quick things like dragons can intergrate under circumstances.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:23 am Reply with quote
I remember reading articles from about two years ago where Japanese managers were complaining that new college graduate hires had next to no computer skills. Part of the explanation is Japan's overall low computer literacy, and another part is the fact that even the internet-savvy kids mostly use smartphones to access it, which doesn't translate to the ability to type on computer keyboards due to the default keyboard layout on Japanese smartphones. So I guess Elma's complete lack of familiarity with computers wouldn't be entirely surprising. But then, it would be a problem for someone who is joining outside the formal new graduate recruitment process, so my first thought was also that the mage boss must have given her a helping hand.

Anyway, I've been looking forward to this episode, not just because it had promised the introduction of Elma, but also because it was going to be storyboarded and directed by KyoAni's star director Naoko Yamada. And man, did it deliver! From Yamada's signature expressive leg closeups, through Elma's mannerisms to the touching scene in the end, this was a beautiful episode even by this show's standards. Even the Shouta gags were rather restrained (and actually kinda funny). Now I'm really looking forward to seeing A Silent Voice, since that was the first direct collaboration with Yamada as director and Futoshi Nishiya as animation director.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
^ Heh, no wonder Elma's mannerisms felt clumsy cute; Naoko Yamada was involved in this episode! And yes, on the leg shots which is quite funny how it became her director's signature.

I have to say the thing that sort of drags this series down so far are the Shouta x Lucoa bits. Frankly, Lucoa is fine by herself but once Shouta is involved it pretty much devolved into "don't molest me!" boob jokes which gets old fast. Though this episode's with the sumo dream did made me giggle for some reason.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I have to say the thing that sort of drags this series down so far are the Shouta x Lucoa bits.

I haven't liked this part of the show since it was first introduced. In the current episode these scenes felt entirely gratuitous. They had no connection with the main story line and were the ultimate in "fanservice." Watching an adult woman sexually harass a minor boy doesn't provide much "service" to this anime fan.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, I can't help laughing every time I read people complaining about the gratuitousness of the shotacon stuff. I'm commenting here somewhat in jest, but it does make me laugh given the absurd amount of lolicon content in this show and others that often gets excused as innocent and fun or otherwise comedic.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
^Beyond the twister scene, which has been complained about in much the same manner perhaps even to a greater degree, what other examples do you have to substantiate your claim that it has an "absurd amount of lolicon content"?

I'll wait until you provide them to assess any specific examples, but I will say generally, just because some find things appealing in non innocent ways does not mean that content is inherently or intentionally not innocent as well.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Tohru has been persistent about getting Kobayashi to eat her meat.

I'm sorry I just had to say it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of Lucoa, but since there was no molestation going on this episode, I did get some good laughs out of the stunned expressions on everyone's faces.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9