• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Hell's Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
The problem with Hell Girl is that you can skip the first 20 episodes, and still get a good story. Actually, you'd get a better story. You'd skip all of the episodes that are just, "Sending people to hell" while at the same time getting to see the story of the Hell Girl. It's a bit frustrating in that regard, especially since the reasons for calling her get pretty weak after just the first handful of episodes.

That said, it's still a very interesting show, and I'll be purchasing it once November begins. I'll probably go ahead and preorder it all.

Not a good idea. Hell Girl...ah, screw it, Jigoku Shoujo has two stroylines going for it, the "sending people to hell" bit and the Shibatas. It's like having two narratives at the same time but it never fumbles each other telling it. Plus in the later episodes, there will be some twist with the people calling the Jigoku Shuushin, my favorite episode of the series is Episode 23, which is just epic.

Me, I personally loved the first season and my sister who saw both perfers it.
shirou.sama

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
evilnekohilda wrote:
I am now the proud owner of a 1990 Nissan 240sx and I couldn't be happier XDDD

my favorite race was the Kai's MR2 v. Takumi's AE86. Only because I own both of those cars. haha. my 85 Liftback Corolla GT-S is a huge piece of crap, but i'm proud to call it mine.

in sport news, i'm quite happy the Red Sox won =D
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
I love Initial D!! Of course I wouldn't drive my Subaru Impreza in that kinda regard... I like the emphasis is on technique over machine.

I think I admire Jame's shelf collection. Sweet and to the point!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
That collection makes me, a poor college student, feel good about my own meagre DVD shelves. I spend most of my money on music CDs. Darn you, VGM obsession!!!!

Good column; I found the description of Hell Girl interesting, maybe I'll rent it or something.

In sports, I'm not much into it personally, but where I come from, this'd be a major event. As in, sign of the apocalypse major. My creative writing professor will certainly be happy today, as well!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
Suddenly, I heard the words, “She's evil! She's evil!” somewhere within my immediate area. I looked to the row of seats diagonally in front of me, and there was a little 2-year-old, staring at me. “She's scary!” she exclaimed. It was only more awkward when the father turned to look at me, and said, “No, she's not scary.”
This reminds me of a conversation my mother related to me. One of the children in her Sunday School class said that there was a witch living in our neighborhood who comes out late at night walking a dog. Specifically, the witch lived in an old two story house (which happens to be my family's home.)

The kid was talking about my sister, who owns a Yorkshire Terrier that has been sick for some time, meaning he had to be taken out for bathroom breaks a lot. My mother calmly informed the kid that he was talking about her daughter, that she had a sick dog, and that it was very impolite to talk about people like that. (The kid was fortunate my mother has a good handle on her temper.)

Children can be real jerks sometimes. Although I think the father's comment was almost worse. He pretty much dimissed you while implying it was perfectly alright for his kid to say such things if the person were "scary."

I swear, sometimes I think we need to have laws against unlicensed breeding.

Anyway, great column, though I was sad to see Hell Girl listed as a Rental instead of Shelf Worthy. It's one of the few series I've seen fansubbed and liked so much I almost bought R2s. I was actually in the process of saving up for them when the license was annouced.

It's got an episodic and reptitative element, but the individual stories are very interesting to me and once the Shibatas come in (Volume 2 of Funimation's release will introduce them), you get a new angle that, personally, I thought really added something to the series. For me, the series is on my shelf because I loved the concept, the characters, and the stories.

For Japanese fans, you have the fantastic Mamiko Noto in the lead, providing an extremely memorable performance. In English, the capable Brina Palencia, who suprisingly pulls off Ai and almost makes you wonder if she's channeling Mamiko Noto despite her still being alive. Plus, each episode is filled with VAs that are numerous people's favorites in both language tracks.

Ah well, you might not think Hell Girl Shelf Worthy, but I won't pull the string on you Bamboo.

As for the rest of the titles, I'm planning to continue School Rumble, but I was a little disappointed by some of the problems with Volume 1. (Like the lack of a narrator in the Cats Go Meow part of one of the episodes. That really didn't work.) And Nobody's Boy Remi sounds like exactly the kind of show I should never watch. I get depressed just getting out of bed some days, if I watch this one I might slit my wrists.

Initial D: I've heard good things, I've heard bad things, and I probably wouldn't enjoy it that much. Maybe someday I'll give it a whirl, but for now, I'll save what little money I have. (Hell, I'm broke right now anyway.)

CCSYueh wrote:
Is going to hell oneself worth sending another?
Check out Pumpkinhead. Great little horror title starring Lance Henriksen as a dad whose son is accidentally killed. They made at least one sequel, but I didn't see that one.
The sequel isn't really worth watching, so you're not missing much. Far inferior to the original.
Circle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I was getting tired of Hell Girl by ep5. But I'm glad I stuck with it. Tsugumi and Hajime-chan is what gives it more of a plot and saved the first season.

The second season is when you finally learn more about Hell Girl's posse, and it gives a good sad closure to the whole series.
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it's nice to see someone with a smaller collection than mine. Smile Good taste, though, definitely, except that for me Evangelion is a must-watch (seen it twice) but not a must-buy...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Speaking of ID, I talked to the director of "Tokyo Drift" last night for "Finishing the Game", and he admitted that he and one of the writers(or producers) were familiar with the show. Cool

You got to meet Justin Lin?? You're so lucky. Better Luck Tomorrow is my favorite movie. I can't wait to see Finishing the Game.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I still hate Tokyopop for messing with the dub. FUNi should take the license from them and redub it with the original soundtrack.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I must commend you Bamboo. You perfectly summed up the Pro's and Con's of Initial D. And I did like Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift! I'll have to refer to your comments the next time I am trying to get someone into the show.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Now, see, Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift was about my favourite live-action movie that I saw last summer (which, other than Cars, I found to be a very weak summer), but I just could never get into Initial D.

But maybe that's because FatF:TD had Keiko Kitagawa (Rei Hino/Sailor Mars in the live-action Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) in it, while Initial D just always seemed like a straight shounen action series with cars instead of swords or fireballs, and I've never really been into shounen action shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Also, I felt each time like these people were awfully stupid. It would have been much better if they were actually truely out of options. They were definitely in a pickle, but resorting to that seemed pretty silly. If they just had some balls they might have actually been able to solve their own problems.

This is not accidental.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Also, I felt each time like these people were awfully stupid. It would have been much better if they were actually truely out of options. They were definitely in a pickle, but resorting to that seemed pretty silly. If they just had some balls they might have actually been able to solve their own problems.

This is not accidental.

That doesn't stop it from being a bad thing. Maybe it serves some purpose in the end, but in the short term it just made an already repetive anime even more unenjoyable because most of the time I was just rolling my eyes at these people.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Sakechan: I think he and his crew are touring the country, so you might be able to catch him eventually.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
That doesn't stop it from being a bad thing. Maybe it serves some purpose in the end, but in the short term it just made an already repetive anime even more unenjoyable because most of the time I was just rolling my eyes at these people.

Well, yeah.

There's some interesting comparisons you can run with the superficially-similar Vampire Princess Miyu, if you're familiar with that show [TV; the OVA does the same thing, but it's shorter so it's harder to notice]. That is, the human 'victims' in VPM are very much agents in their own misfortune, they've made bad [selfish] choices through which they've wound up having their fate entwined with a demon-god and it really serves them right, but then our honey-eyed heroine comes along, kicks the shinma in the abyss, and ultimately makes things better for the people, best you can do with the situation at hand sort of stuff.

Whereas... in Hell Girl, it's the act of invoking the 'heroine' [say, perhaps, protagonist, but this is debatable...] that really kicks things into a pool of suck.

In both cases, it's very much a case of 'careful what you wish for', but we see different ends of the problem [I haven't seen any of S2, though].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3