• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shaman King Creator: Turned Down New Anime Plans Because Original Cast, Music Could Not Be Use

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:34 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
What a dumb choice, he should've taken notes after seeing the success of the HxH reboot, it had new va's as well. Lost any respect I had for him. He still hopes for another opportunity, lmao, he can wait because he won't be getting another one. Hopefully we get a Kenshin remake instead.

Success of HxH reboot? Mind explaining what kind of success you're talking about? Because it neither boosted the manga sales that much nor did it sell any BDs. Heck even the ratings were unimpressive compared to the original series and it was moved to late night timeslot. I forgot the source ( I'll try to find it) but even Shuiesha bailed out of the production committee in the middle of the series and Madhouse owners Nippon TV had to fund the project.

you don't even get more than 1 cour without being a success let alone 148 episodes.

so clearly something was going on to make them continue to produce the anime for nearly 3 years straight.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:37 am Reply with quote
I won´t have cared either way (the sequel manga is still axed, i think) but the royalties for him must have been pretty low to decline. Using new people for a remake isn´t a negative too.
This still shows how much power Japanese creators have over their IP, if they choose to use it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nekelen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I respect this stance, honestly. He has a vision of how the characters should sound, what the music should be like (though the music should be somewhat negotiable). If he's got the money to just say, "Nah, I'll pass, I don't need the extra cash", then more power to him. It's his creation. But full disclosure, I'm not nor have I ever been into Shaman King, so this is just my outsider's perspective.

Pretty much sums up how i feel and im a fan of the original.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:01 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Success of HxH reboot? Mind explaining what kind of success you're talking about? Because it neither boosted the manga sales that much nor did it sell any BDs. Heck even the ratings were unimpressive compared to the original series and it was moved to late night timeslot. I forgot the source ( I'll try to find it) but even Shuiesha bailed out of the production committee in the middle of the series and Madhouse owners Nippon TV had to fund the project.

No need, it's in the episodes themselves.

Episode 100
Episode 101

Though it's believed that they pulled out because the series did get moved to late night, which started at episode 99.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:04 am Reply with quote
There's probably other reasons, but gave these excuses to be polite. He'd probably be considered rude if he said "yeah they wanted to do a new Shaman King but the royalties sucked" or "the director they had lined up is an ass and the character designs are awful."
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:12 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
I knew this would pop up, not getting into this discussion with you again, all I will say is that if the HxH reboot weren't a success, it wouldn't have lasted for as long as it did.

Is this what they call denial? Lol. It lasted long enough because NTV wanted a long running anime in their channel and because of the two movies that were still in production. No way the production committee would have canceled the anime while the movies were still in production. The first movie performed well in the box office unlike the second one but the BD/DVDs still didn't do well and only sold 7k copies if I recall correctly. The other reason is because of Togashi. He just came back from a long Hiatus and it was the perfect time for Shueisha to reboot the anime since they had a lot of material this time and to increase manga sales. Shueisha however dropped off from the production committee since Togashi went into Hiatus again and no volumes were being released.

They weren't listed anymore after episode 100.
http://i.imgur.com/kfrCFyi.jpg

If you really think the anime was successful then it makes no sense for the publishers to bail.
Tylerr wrote:
you don't even get more than 1 cour without being a success let alone 148 episodes.
so clearly something was going on to make them continue to produce the anime for nearly 3 years straight.

Difference is Togashi is the creator of HxH and Yu Yu Hakusho. Both of those anime were huge back during their time and had amazing TV ratings. The producers probably wanted to emulate its success again by making a long running anime and air it in Sunday mornings but it didn't work out quite well since it got moved to Tuesday late night slot which is cheaper in comparison. Not saying the ratings were extremely poor but they were below average. Other series like Toriko used to have better ratings on similar timeslots.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:02 am Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOO!!!

I'll just rewatch the original then. lol

Honestly....I do respect his decision. Because we've learned remakes are NOT always a good thing. *coughmostofthem*
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
I think it was a valid reason, to some degree. The original cast would've been a nice touch, but I think new music would've been fine. And at the very least, 4Kids wouldn't have been able to bastardize it with name changes like "Trey Racer" and "Zeke" and those goddamn cheeseburger references.

Still waiting for that Eyeshield 21 remake, though...
Bruce91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote
I think it's a dumb reason to hate him for it. That is at least a valid reason compared to yotsuba.

Didn't the author of yotsuba declined a anime adaptation because of his own storyboard? Thinking it wasn't fit for a anime adaption or something? that is what I call true BS.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:12 am Reply with quote
It has been over a decade since the original ended. I doubt Hayáshibara could still voice Anna
Enturax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
Shocked WHAT?! There was another SK in works?!?! Goddamnit!!! It was one of my very 1st and fav Anime!!! The excuse for not making it is especially stupid to me because I didn't like the Japanese. ver. to begin with, I loved my polish dubbed version more (which is probably the only time I liked my country's version of an Anime).

DAMN IIIIIIT!!!!

EDIT: Oh, it's just a remake. NVM.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
Everyone begs for a remake, but it´s not like it has a complex story(FMA) or universe(HunterxHunter) to begin with. It´s a battle royale mostly. The only thing the remake could do is please the fans. Now that I think it, the battle royale conccept probably wouldn´t sit much well with people today as it did at the time, so that would mean that the series is cancelled without much capters, and thus it was a failed remake. Not that I say that I don´t like it. I want the remake too, but is it only me who thinks this?
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
I don't care if I'm in the minority. The trend of changing VA in a sequel is sh*t to me! Besides, I strongly believe the newer generation VA are inferior to that of the previous generation. Koyasu and Hayashibara, in particular, they're peerless legends far better than anyone in the industry.
Anpanmon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
I don't care if I'm in the minority. The trend of changing VA in a sequel is sh*t to me! Besides, I strongly believe the newer generation VA are inferior to that of the previous generation. Koyasu and Hayashibara, in particular, they're peerless legends far better than anyone in the industry.

Don't worry pal. I'm with you. I'm also hate with changing casts in sequel. People nowdays seems to like newer generation VA than the older VAs. They should know that older generation VA is always better than those younger VA.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
I agree. Wholeheartedly. The music especially. Maybe those who watched the English dub don't care much since that one had it's own music arrangement, but Shaman King's music is excellent, not only the OP and EDs, but the insert song Brave Heart as well.

SkerllyF wrote:
Everyone begs for a remake, but it´s not like it has a complex story(FMA) or universe(HunterxHunter) to begin with. It´s a battle royale mostly. The only thing the remake could do is please the fans. Now that I think it, the battle royale conccept probably wouldn´t sit much well with people today as it did at the time, so that would mean that the series is cancelled without much capters, and thus it was a failed remake. Not that I say that I don´t like it. I want the remake too, but is it only me who thinks this?

The battle royale is only the first phase of the Shaman King ritual, after that it's team tournament-based, though the tournament itself gets broken by circumstances, after that it becomes a race-against-time fighting mini-bosses.

The people who want a new Shaman King anime (like me) is because they want a faithful adaptation of the manga. The anime had an original ending and development. It already had some changes here and there, but in the middle of the series it shifts to a completely different route than the manga, which is not exclusively bad, but underwhelming in comparison. Though, part of the reason was that the manga was on hiatus and they had to make do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4