• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's Your Biggest Guilty Pleasure?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
almost every 4Kids dub ever made. this probably because I used to watch them as a kid, with the possible exception of Shaman King (namely because the first ep. I saw of that was the first one with Faust the VIII). when I watch them nowadays, i'm either laughing at the terrible dubs, reminiscing, or enjoying the awesomness of the eps that actually made it to America/Canada.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
@BodaciousSpacePirate

If that is what entertains them, that is fine. To each his own. I always thought that the basic concept of MST3K was mean spirited. It is the same basic attitude that causes bullies to attack the weak.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what scares me more... The fact that people don't know what a guilty pleasure is(even though it's explained in the first paragraph) or that good anime like: The World God Only Knows, Saekano, School Rumble, Yozakura Quartet are in this list... it gets even worst in a list with School Days in it!
This article is cr*p.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
I don't know what scares me more... The fact that people don't know what a guilty pleasure is(even though it's explained in the first paragraph) or that good anime like: The World God Only Knows, Saekano, School Rumble, Yozakura Quartet are in this list... it gets even worst in a list with School Days in it!
This article is cr*p.

It sounds like you're missing the point a lot of posters are making. How the term "guilty pleasure" is nonsensical and can borderline pretentious at times. To insist that objective qualities exist, or even if you find enjoyment in something it's still "bad". Clearly those people think those "good" anime are "bad" and you disagree. Perhaps it stems from social issues like peer pressure; you really like a show but a lot of people love making fun of it so you feel shame and insecure about liking it, either privately or publically.

-Stuart Smith
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Blue Gender. No one ever talks about this series, but I still really enjoy it.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

If that is what entertains them, that is fine. To each his own. I always thought that the basic concept of MST3K was mean spirited. It is the same basic attitude that causes bullies to attack the weak.

I don't believe the makers of MST3K ever watched/riffed these movies out of hate or to truly be mean and actually had real affection for them(Frank Conniff, who did most of the film choosing through the first 6 years of the series certainly did). And they've always held that not everybody will like what they do and are complacent with that fact. Just had to add my 2 fan cents(or sense).

Now, on topic:

I'm also not comfortable with "guilty pleasure" as I feel that pleasure is pleasure so just let it be pleasure. Still, I would have to say the most recent thing to illicit anything close to such feelings(at least before I fully got over it) was for the enjoyment I get out of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Perhaps it stems from social issues like peer pressure; you really like a show but a lot of people love making fun of it so you feel shame and insecure about liking it, either privately or publically.

It's not perhaps, it really does stems from social pressure. Which by that logic the shows that I mentioned shouldn't be on that list(attention they aren't even my favorites).
If you would tell me shows like Yosuga no Sora, Happy Bread or every harem flop I would understand, they are considered bad by the majority of watchers and the few who like them would be their "guilty pleasure", that's how the term applies.
Well maybe this article is made as bait to create disagreement so that more people come here or something.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Mine is a genre more than a specific show.

The Magic High School Battle Show, there are usually one to three of these a season, and I generally complete at least one of them.
They mostly share the same 'plot' and execution. Sometimes I will drop the show during its run, but I am shocked at the number that I complete.

This season it is Schoolgirl Strikers. Not great, pleasant enough 'characters', though it does seem to be one of those Strawberry Panic universes where males do not exist.

I did watch Arcana Famiglia to completion for the sole reason that Felicitá's character design was tailor made to my tastes.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:

It was popular in the early-mid 2000's. Adult Swim air it like in 2003 or 2004, so people kinda forgot about it.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Huh, *anime* is my guilty pleasure. Once I accepted that, it was all easy going.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
taster of pork wrote:

It was popular in the early-mid 2000's. Adult Swim air it like in 2003 or 2004, so people kinda forgot about it.

A worthy show by its own right! I fondly recall Funimation's cheap compilation release thereof, composed entirely of laminated card and highly liable to warping in transit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:58 am Reply with quote
There's not really a flawed show I like that I rewatch THAT often, but I found that my "guilty pleasures" fall into two categories:

There are the old, dumb, comedic anime like Kyou Kara Maou and Karin (Chibi Vampire) that managed to pull at my heart strings

And the unpopular Isekai anime like Kiba and Arata Kangatari that I can't help being enamored with despite their flaws

I'm also currently watching A Certain Magical Index and despite it being soo chuunibyou it hurts at times, I'm finding it pretty entertaining.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
I'm also currently watching A Certain Magical Index and despite it being soo chuunibyou it hurts at times, I'm finding it pretty entertaining.

From all the special powers animes, Index is the most that ain't chuunibyou.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
My top guilty pleasures are Tenchi in Tokyo and Gundam Wing. I always thought In Tokyo was funny and I liked it's unique art style and never understood the vehemence for Sakuya. I know Gundam Wing is like considered blasphemy to the UC purist fans but it was still my first Gundam show and one of my first mecha anime. To me, the cheesy over the top angsty drama is part of the fun of the show but admittedly I still love the series for the shallow reason I think the guys in it are hot especially Trieze and Zechs. Gundam Wing was also my gateway to the world of slash fanfiction and yaoi doujinshi in my younger years.
ThatFaintingGoat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
These guys make me feel bad about my Guilty Pleasures. My guilty pleasures are stuff like Love Hina and Flame of Recca, those shows that I know in my heart are horrible, but that I keep coming back to over and over again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9