• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gabriel DropOut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I was very surprised when the ending credits came, I was like surely it can't be over already it felt way too soon.

Love to know where that dog keeps coming from.

We don't need to see Gabriel 2 the fall, we already know from the 1st episode.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm amused that by actually showing Gabriel and Vigne's backstory the episode earned a lower grade from the reviewer when the reviewer had wanted to see how the two met in prior episode reviews.

The thing is that there was no actual punch line, the scene seemed to lack direction. it just seemed to be there for being there
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Why would there need to be a punch line? A backstory is a backstory. It's how the characters met. There's no punch line needed.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Why would there need to be a punch line? A backstory is a backstory. It's how the characters met. There's no punch line needed.

Yeah. I don't see why everything in the show has to be done for comedy. That backstory was a pretty heartwarming moment, which satisfies me just as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I laughed quite a bit during the Satania/Tapris encounter, especially the beginning where Satania is stuck in the locker, falls down, and then still tries to be evil/intimidating with her "Welcome" as she's cramped and prone on the ground, Other than though, I'd agree that this episode's other parts could have been shortened without much of a loss.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
it's nto germophobia as used in usa comedy, it's more of something like fear of the unknown, since earth is unknown to the tapris.

and it seems like datenshi while normally used as fallen angel in this case is moreof a shorthand for dametenshi/useless angel ( like knosuba's aqua who is a damegami ).
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
and it seems like datenshi while normally used as fallen angel in this case is moreof a shorthand for dametenshi/useless angel ( like knosuba's aqua who is a damegami ).

Yeah, I had been wondering why they had subtitled it "faillen angel" but had already gotten to realize there was probably a kanji pun in there. Looking it up, it's 駄天使 in place of 堕天使, so yeah, same meaning as the initial kanji in Aqua's moniker 駄女神.
dash56

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
I absolutely adored this episode.

And yay! Satania got a check in the win column.
BethanyP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
Got to say, I had completely the opposite opinion to Amy - I found the first half of the episode terribly boring, and the second half sorta giggle-worthy.

The episode really leans too heavily on the Satania torture, especially given that this time round she is so stupid it's become Homer Simpson-esque. The knock-on effect is that Raphiel doesn't come across as especially manipulative either, given that all she has to do is grin and say something vaguely sweet to fool her. Your mileage may vary I suppose (Well, obviously it does), but the joke just wasn't snappy enough for me

Well, that and Vignette's character is rapidly becoming a waste. Too much of the cookie-cutter straightman, not enough of the demon who's terrible at her job. Have we seen anything demonic out of her since episode 2?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Does Satania remind anyone else of The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Wait, how have you ever gotten anything out of Vigne's character to be a demon who is terrible at her job? Vigne is the eager wide-eyed girl who wants to experience life on Earth in all that entails. That's why she went through the extra effort for the beach trip guide and sewed up Halloween costumes for the whole gang. The "demon who is terrible at her job" is Satania. She attempts to be evil, cut-throat, and menacing but fails nearly every single time (Tapris seems to be her only prey). Satania's pride as the self-proclaimed future leader of hell will never admit that she is inferior at anything. That pride is what fuels her stupid decisions. It's not a simple lack of intelligence as with Homer Simpson. If Satania would engage in a miniscule amount of humility then the large majority of the 'torture' would end. However she cannot let go of her pride and thus will continue to suffer throughout the entire show.
michizure

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
After Satania's interactions with both Tapris and the Class Rep, I think my assertion that she's chuunibyou is validated -- just look at the poses.

I did find it an interesting bit of self-awareness that Gabriel's idea for a "costume" was re-assuming her angelic form.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Gabriel's ruthlessly shooting Satania was pure gold. Even though I saw it coming the moment the ad popped up on TV it still had me burst out laughing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Satania's pride is certainly part of her problem, but it's not the whole deal. For starters, she has a very poor understanding of what evil is and therefore her "evil" schemes end up being laughably lame. Plus, she's way too naive for her own good which makes her easy pickings for those angel thugs, Gabrieal and Raphiel. She is, in summary, totally adorable.

Vigne is a terrible demon, too, but for very different reasons. She simply has no desire to terrorize either humans or angels. Fail. She is, in summary, totally adorable.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
did not really like that the subs changed charisma to something else, since the class president was striking a jojo pose AND charisma is a jojo concept :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5