• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Attack on Titan Anime's 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Ugh, complaining about the site instead of talking about the topic. Crunchyroll will also do it, since they also handled the last season and, in case you forgot, they're married to Funimation still.

You are probably right, but, for example, CR is not streaming the sub of Tales of Zestiria the X despite their "marriage" with Funi so it seems like wonky things can still happen.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
scowler wrote:
Not sure if this was mentioned, but the subscription cost of VRV (which includes both Funimation and Crunchyroll, as well as a few other things), is lower than subbing to Funi and CR separately.

Which isn't very helpful for those of us who don't watch our anime on our phones or tablets, or who don't own one of the (only) two non mobile devices they have apps for.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
What time is it airing? This series already ruined Toonami's ratings. I don't want it to ruin MHA's too.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
What time is it airing? This series already ruined Toonami's ratings. I don't want it to ruin MHA's too.

What do you mean by "ruining" Toonami's ratings?
peno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:59 pm Reply with quote
It seems like Attack on Titans will unfortunately follow in the steps of Blue Exorcist, where Keiji Fujiwara was too originally announced as part of the cast for season 2, but eventually was replaced by Hiroaki Hirata. Only in this case it seems like they will omit his role altogether. Which, in a way, is respectful to the original seiyuu, but also quite sad.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

What do you mean by "ruining" Toonami's ratings?

Some network executive thought it would be neat to air reruns of it at the beginning of the block. Combine that with the encore airings of OP when it was in the middle of a filler arc, it caused the block to be cut by two and a half hours.
romanmack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:16 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

What? What kind of sense does this make? How would it ruin My Hero Academia's ratings?

First off, AoT did great ratings on Toonami.

It was only when Toonami stupidly decided to air reruns of it did the ratings plummet, because... ya know... RERUNS. Any show starting the block in reruns would have done that.

So don't blame the show. And your logic is weird and random. So because the reruns of AoT did poorly at the forefront of Toonami, a block on American television, that somehow translates to the show randomly making another show on Japanese television plummet in ratings...? Like wtf?? Lmao, where is the logic, man?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
First off, my fear is that AOT and MHA air in the same timeslot, which will threaten the latter's ratings. AOT is a pop culture phenomenon, where as MHA is only moderately popular.

Second, it messed up Toonami because airing reruns early into the block was one of the contributing factors to it getting cut from six hours to three and a half. Since then, they made the wise decision to put their reruns at the end of the block.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
Even though I saw this coming from a mile away I'm still excited as hell for the dubbed version of Attack on Titan season two/ Very Happy
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
It seems like Attack on Titans will unfortunately follow in the steps of Blue Exorcist, where Keiji Fujiwara was too originally announced as part of the cast for season 2, but eventually was replaced by Hiroaki Hirata. Only in this case it seems like they will omit his role altogether. Which, in a way, is respectful to the original seiyuu, but also quite sad.

They don't omit a character because of a VA, they just recast them. They're probably keen on him returning and I bet he's keen on it too - so they're probably still in negotiations on how to work it out. Sort of like how Maggie Smith acted in the last Harry Potter movie despite her illness because her role was important but brief.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
Since it'll be a broadcast dub It'll also be on toonami, 99% sure. They might even release the english on par with the japanese or a week or two late. Cant wait.

That would be huge if they could do it.

romanmack wrote:
First off, AoT did great ratings on Toonami.
It was only when Toonami stupidly decided to air reruns of it did the ratings plummet, because... ya know... RERUNS. Any show starting the block in reruns would have done that.
So don't blame the show. And your logic is weird and random. So because the reruns of AoT did poorly at the forefront of Toonami, a block on American television, that somehow translates to the show randomly making another show on Japanese television plummet in ratings...? Like wtf?? Lmao, where is the logic, man?

Yeah, it's weird to blame the show. The show did fantastic. And would do even better than it's great first Toonami run (before they tried opening the block with repeats) if they could somehow simulcast the new episodes within a week or two of the Japanese airing.
Since he brought it up, I'd love to see MHA on, even more so now that it's getting another season too, so it could air for more than just 13 weeks.

Edit: Hmmm, doesn't mean anything but, I just noticed April 1st is a Saturday (Toonami)...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Hopefully they will dub this right away

I think that their attempt to have Akiba's Trip dubbed and available within 30 minutes of the Japanese broadcast is mostly a test to see how fast they can have Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia ready.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3