• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kizumonogatari I: Tekketsu-hen

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amagee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Man..this movie seems so fantastic. Shame Aniplex hates Omaha

If there are some small, independent theaters around your city, see if you can speak with their acquisitions person (or whatever they might call them). If there is enough available interest that single showings could fill them a theater, they might look into trying to jump on the bandwagon.

Alternatively, yours may be like my city where the only small theater that could show this stuff doesn't allow anime unless its Ghibli or an Oscar-nominated short.
Realization

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
This movie seems like it'd be pretty interesting to watch. I wonder when it'll release outside of theater showings.
AholePony

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I just got back from seeing the movie. Loved it, but I'm a diehard monogatari fan. I enjoyed the different style compared to the series. It helps the movie stand on its own; and since it's a prequel, the broken-down more raw style gives it a "primitive" feel which really worked for me. Lots and lots of small details like a motion blur effect when hanekawa jumped on a curb and such.

After the credits there was a "preview" sequence of sound bytes and it said part 2 summer 2016.
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
I just got back a little while ago as well. For me it was a bit frustrating and not really due to the "inconsistent" animation style. (though this kind of thing, hand drawn on CG backgrounds drives me nuts because it feels superimposed and flat to me) But because they took "a novel heavy on internal voice" and made it "visual" -or- otherwise tossed out all the monologue and word play.

For me that is the charm of the monogatari series.

About 10 minutes in I literally said to myself, "Is this how the light novel is written?" All in 5-10 word sentences?

I will agree with Nick here that it is really not possible to judge this being that it is just an opening, but seriously all the "literariness" that made the series so good to me is purged.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:25 am Reply with quote
Sounds like this will be an interesting watch. Highly doubt that it will be in cinemas over here in Australia (hell, the Monogatari series doesn't even get simulcast streaming over here), so I assume it'll be awhile before I can buy this on disc. Even longer if they don't release the movies separately.

I did finish the novel last week, and there were a lot of scenes in that novel that I look forward to seeing animated. And, from this review, some of those scenes are mentioned, and the review makes them sound like good pieces of work.

The wait will be excruciating...maybe I should rewatch the series while I wait...Laughing
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
What is this doing on the front page? O.o'
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

The blu-ray just came out. This is an updated version of the review with details about the blu-ray release.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

The blu-ray just came out. This is an updated version of the review with details about the blu-ray release.

Got it boss.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
This release is indeed quite nice and looks rather luxurious. It almost makes me feel justified in paying 70 bucks for it. I've seen parts one and two so far and, while part two was great and had a lot of awesome fight scenes, I think I prefer part one overall for its masterful execution of tone and suspense. It's actually kind of funny to consider that out of all the various stories and series, one of my favorite Monogatari anime is the one with hardly any substantial dialogue at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2