• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hand Shakers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Fun fact of this week's Hand Shakers: The first 30 seconds is reused footage and the parfait they served in the café has real strawberries that look more unsettling the more you look.

Holy crap, they just photoshopped the slice of them onto the drawn one, except not even well with an awkward border around. This is... next level of badness! Laughing

How do you even get to that? Why even do that?
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I guess they expected for no one to notice and they thought it would be cool. Sure, on a fast view you do not pay attention particularly because all parfait in anime look the same, I realized after re-checking something because my attention drifted completely and I didn't know what was going on.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Valhern wrote:
the parfait they served in the café has real strawberries

I think you and I have different definitions of the word "real." oO

It's only the inside of a strawberry, they photoshopped that and drew over it. If I'm not wrong they used the same inside for the other two.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
What makes you think it's photoshopped? Why do so, and then omit all the details that would make it look realistic, when it would be simpler just to draw it? The only reason they didn't just make it vague color gradients is because this series is obsessed with vaginal imagery, and a sliced strawberry is pretty evocative. So they drew in those details to the exclusion of others. But I don't see any level of detail that couldn't be accomplished without shopping it.

But whatever they did, it still looks like crap.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
It was an ok episode, got better when the fight happened.

At least they can now let go of each other for a short amount of time.

Hopefully Kyori does something next episode, I don't think Tazana can handle those 2 on his own.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I heard that Hand Shakers isn't as hard to watch anymore. So I opened up CR for episode 3 and started watching to put put that to the test, and it's true! No longer does the show give me motion sickness or actually hurt my eyes from the garish overuse of camera gimmicks and awful CG.

Now it's just hard to watch because it's boring and stupid, and the garish camera gimmicks and awful CG are used less often, so they merely hurt me mentally rather than physically. Progress!

I skipped through to the end and then watched some of the fight scene, that was hilarious. I like the part where he got thrown and then skidded for about a quarter of a mile down a city street in only his sneakers. Probably gonna want to replace those soles when you get home kid, you're lucky they didn't catch on fire or grind your feet down to stumps. I don't know, maybe he was wearing wheelies.

Pointing out everything stupid and ugly in Hand Shakers is like trying to tidy up during an avalanche at a manure storehouse. There's just too much shit flying around.

I do hope Hand Shakers tries to be more spectacular in its badness as the season continues. As James points out, it's more entertaining to read someone being snarky about something truly horrendous, while there are only so many ways of saying "I wish I wasn't watching this crap".
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:

I do hope Hand Shakers tries to be more spectacular in its badness as the season continues. As James points out, it's more entertaining to read someone being snarky about something truly horrendous, while there are only so many ways of saying "I wish I wasn't watching this crap".

To my credit, I got through both Big Order and Hand Shakers, and I only repeated myself two, maybe three dozen times tops.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
To my credit, I got through both Big Order and Hand Shakers, and I only repeated myself two, maybe three dozen times tops.
I have faith. Faith in you, that you'll keep finding ways to make me laugh while insulating me from having to watch the show myself, and faith in Hand Shakers that it has yet-undreamed of depths of badness left to plumb, especially once they get towards the middle of the season and feel the urge to start excreting some 'drama' at us.

As a side-note, I did watch through a chunk in the middle of the ep specifically to see what you meant by an "odd corn-themed eatery"...yup, you described exactly what the episode gave us. My family lives in China so I'm used to that odd desire to dump corn on things like pizza and spaghetti and somehow think it's amazing, so in a way it rang oddly true...

It's possible that's the Stockholm kicking in, though.
Sean R. Harris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Whoa!!!

I see many people are really digging their claws into how Go Hands handled this fantastic series. Well, I have been watching Anime since I was 7 years old, and I'm 42 now. Now don't get me wrong, the camera angles need work and the storyline is a bit jittered, but let's be honest, this is a wonderfully-animated series. I love the style and the visual effects. The last time I had seen anything THIS good was Gyo: Tokyo Walking Fish, or even Garden Of Sinners, which really blew me away. Go Hands is still in its infancy and they've room for improvement no doubt.

You might be the kinds of cats that like Yuri On Ice, lol. Copellion was exquisitely done. Now I might not be a BIG fan of Go Hands, but I was very impressed and am looking forward to more of their work.

Not everything that comes out from Japan will appeal to the eye; not every movie made in THIS country will appeal to people world wide. Look at the Resident Evil Movies; the were HORRID!!!

I didn't understand 11 Eyes UNTIL EPISODE 11, and then watched it again to gain a full understanding. Even though this is JUST Episode 3, I'm sure there is much more to delve into when the series continues on.

Come on peeps, give it a chance!!!! I understand how everyone is looking for that Diamond, and you get a Ruby, or a Sapphire or something of that nature. I have my selection of Anime that I like, and I am always willing to give the underdog a try.

Anime smile
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
^While there is more that I disagree with there, I will point out that GoHands is not in its infancy. The studio is nearly 10 years old (founded in 2008) and has been making TV anime since 2009 at least. By comparison, MAPPA and Trigger are three years younger, and are generally better regarded. GoHands has some talent, but with this project it seems to be obscured and wasted. This is not what a wonderfully animated series looks like.
Sean R. Harris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
APPP, Studio Deen, AIC, AIC Plus, Pioneer LDC, Shogakukan, Toho Animation, Toei, Studio Bird, and countless others date back (Some more than others) as far back as 1989, even being with BAOH, and Hades Project Zeorymer. What I was trying to convey is that you have your hits and misses. What I am trying to figure out is just what PEOPLE consider "Good" Anime, as there are thousands upon thousands of titles out there that have different types of Animation style. People thought Robotech was nice for its TIME, along with Devilman, Witch Blade,Tenchi Muyo, Silent Mobius, and countless others.

I'm not getting paid to do Anime, so why should I banter and belittle something that is a form of entertainment anyways? Cats I know liked God Eater, and I thought it was absolutely atrocious, but it was an attempt at a style that I haven't seen before. If its that god-awful, then why did you even bother watching it then?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
The first episode of this show gave several people including some of the reviewers motion sickness. I'm certain that very few if any of the Sakuga community would consider this good animation. I've seen many animation styles/techniques and I'd say I'm open minded, but this is bad on its face. If you like it, that is fine. Just don't be surprised when many many people disagree. Moreover, animation is not the only flaw. The story is the dross of LN style stories and I like many (but not all) LN based anime.

I brought up other studios to counter your argument that GoHands was just in its infancy so you can cut it some slack. They are not and they have no excuse for this mess.

As for why I and others are watching, that has been I think well documented here and elsewhere on the site, but to put it briefly, it is an exceptional and remarkable show, but not because it is good, but because it is so god-awful, and I will watch exceptional and remarkable shows.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Hand Shakers might be a first for me. I don't think I've ever been minutes into the first episode and thought that a show was bad. I've had some where it was clear that I wasn't part of the intended audience for an otherwise alright show, but I've never reacted to one this negatively from the start.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
Sean R. Harris wrote:
I'm not getting paid to do Anime, so why should I banter and belittle something that is a form of entertainment anyways? Cats I know liked God Eater, and I thought it was absolutely atrocious, but it was an attempt at a style that I haven't seen before. If its that god-awful, then why did you even bother watching it then?
For many of us, seeing something fail so gloriously is entertainment in its own right. See Mystery Science Theater 3000 and its many descendants for more evidence of that kind of anti-fandom. I love a good riff on a truly bad anime (or movie, or book), because it's constantly surprising and impressive when the studio manages to exceed your expectations and find new ways to be terrible that you had never even suspected existed.

That said, I'm actually enjoying this bad anime second hand, as I'm one of the people who hasn't been able to watch a lot of Hand Shakers without getting physically ill.

Sean R. Harris wrote:
What I am trying to figure out is just what PEOPLE consider "Good" Anime,
Well, that's a huge and ongoing question that consumes not only the entire anime industry but broad swathes of fandom, and is the entire raison d'etre of art criticism itself. If you want the short answer, it's "it depends," and everyone has their own opinion, including you.

If you want the long answer, well, looking for that is what has led to so many people spilling so much ink and pixels trying to analyze why some anime succeed while others fail. Including these reviews, which, if you read them again, give a lot of good arguments about why people have such a visceral (at times intestinal) reaction to this show.

That's in between the snark, of course. If you're a fan of this show, you'll have to forgive the snark, as it's the reason most of us come here to read the episode reviews, and for James I suspect it's a coping mechanism that is his spoon full of sugar to help the bitter, sticky poison go down.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
[quote="steelmirror"]
Sean R. Harris wrote:

Sean R. Harris wrote:
What I am trying to figure out is just what PEOPLE consider "Good" Anime,
Well, that's a huge and ongoing question that consumes not only the entire anime industry but broad swathes of fandom, and is the entire raison d'etre of art criticism itself. If you want the short answer, it's "it depends," and everyone has their own opinion, including you.

Hallelujah, and amen!
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Divisive opinion: I hated the second half more. I expected the fight scene to go on all levels of awful, and boy it did, but I didn't expect the second half to be so extremely unengaging.

My whole reaction to the second half was "Why". Why are these two people being buddybuddy with these two guys who are supposed to be competing for meeting God or whatever? Why do they even try to be their "Guardians"? They lost two fights and Koyori and MC Whatshisname won twice! Why have we spent ten minutes of exposition AND choosing a goddamn chuuni name?!

I was seriously confused, what the hell was supposed to be the resolution of that fight? Now that they're beaten they don't fight in the Hand Shakers competition? I don't understand, they switched from enemy to ally so fast that I don't get it. The scenario reminds me a lot of Fate Stay Night, except that in Fate Stay Night we're explicitly told that two (and eventually three) competitors in a Battle Royale join up either knowing that they will have to fight each other or resign from the competition, or, in some cases, the allies are out of the Battle Royale completely.

Like, it's probably just as contrived, but it's explained and the circumstances make sense. Here...not really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12