• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interviews with Monster Girls (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Oh and Succubus-sensei? Get a freaking car or a motorcycle. Then you don't have to get up at 4am and get home in the dead of night in order to miss the crowds.

Or even a bicycle which was the vehicle that crossed my mind when I watched her commuting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
I like the comedy of this show, but the social isolation of the demis is actually kind of painful to watch. I really felt badly about the loneliness that Sakie the Succubus must feel. Same with Yuki. Macchi has her crush on Sensei to occupy her mind so I guess she's okay for the moment. You have to wonder how much of Hikari's manic energy is just a cover for inner loneliness.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
So we got the focus on the succubus in this show. I like how they are keeping every main girl relevant so far.

The amount of storytelling about Satou was definitely interesting. (we even got a glimpse of her powers too!) What I find funny is that she dresses like the antithesis of a succubus. Glad to also see more of Hikari this episode too. I can never get enough of her interactions with Tetsuo and their moments were adorable.

That cheek kiss of Hikari to him was cute as hell. "Ehehehe"!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dlm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I am watching Katawa Shoujo the Anime except there's no Hisao. And Itami Youji is playing the part of Mutou.

I'm diggin' it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Tetsuo sensei is such a nice guy. I like how he comforts Yuki when she got depressed.
I also kinda like the small talk + character chemistry between him and Satou.

Also interesting to see Hikari stand up against those mean girls. You go Hikari!
Glad to see others standing up for Yuki. Hikari's personality is still so damn entertaining to watch in this show

That Himari girl is also more amusing than I had thought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Satou-sensei is showing more of her lurv for Tetsuo. I hope those two eventually hook up.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Looks like this show might be "maturing" into a story about diversity, bullying, and acceptance. I'd be much more happy to see it take this route than the more harem-y road it seemed to have started out on.

Still all the hugging and physical intimacy with students freaks me out a bit. Sensei is clearly well-intentioned, but these are adolescent girls, as he was reminded of when he hugged the amply-endowed Machi.

I do hope Satou-sensei will eventually confess her feelings for Tetsuo so she can stop acting even more immaturely than the girls. I understand the reasons for her restraint, and her intrinsic naivete when it comes to relations with men, but I think the two of them would be better off getting things out on the table.

Himari's wearing a crucifix seems rather strange, almost as if she were trying to protect herself from her sister. She obviously loves Hikari, but maybe they had some difficulties growing up together?

Did the episode director not have anything better to show us than a toilet for nearly half a minute? I wondered whether there was a reason for such a strange focus other than reducing the need to draw and animate the girls.

Other than the obvious plot reasons, isn't a bit strange there are no male demis?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Complaints about inappropriate student/teacher contact in 3... 2...

In all seriousness, sometimes a kid just needs a damn hug or a reassuring pat on the shoulder. But people are so paranoid that male teachers will take any opportunity to rape their students that said teachers can't give the help those kids need without fear of getting fired or worse.

There should be limits, of course, and it's clear Tetsuo knows what they are. Be careful when hugging busty students.

The morals and allegories to racism, homophobia, and the like are hardly subtle, but it's still a good message none the less. Don't judge based on difference, but don't ignore those differences either or you won't truly understand that person.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
If we could just get through one episode - one! - without any hugging, pecks on the cheek, "dates" between teacher and students, etc, I, for one, would be pretty thrilled.
dlm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Himari's wearing a crucifix seems rather strange, almost as if she were trying to protect herself from her sister. She obviously loves Hikari, but maybe they had some difficulties growing up together?

Her line about wanting Takahashi to say all that about "demis are individuals with their own merits" (paraphrased) to their parents, makes me think that there's friction between the sisters and their parents and not between the sisters themselves.

She wears a cross but she also has a bat strap on her bag. I'm thinking that she either doesn't think about the cross that way (Hikari even joked about how middle-school that was) or maybe it's the kind of ironic humor that teenagers like to get into?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'm guessing, but maybe its something that her parents make her wear and that's why she wanted the teacher visit? The way she's protective over her sister makes me think the issue maybe the parents and their not understanding that Hikari is not strictly a vampire from legends but an individual.

Quote:
Did the episode director not have anything better to show us than a toilet for nearly half a minute?
Agreed.

Quote:
Other than the obvious plot reasons, isn't a bit strange there are no male demis?
That would be a different demographic and it would probably be called Vampire Knight or something similar. This show is aimed at guys with a light harem overtone, male demis would just get in the way of that.

The show is walking a fine line with its light harem elements. The bullying angle was a good start, but I would have liked to see it not resolved so quickly. Many bullies don't stop when they get started. I did like the idea of a demi support group.

Vaisaga wrote:
Complaints about inappropriate student/teacher contact in 3... 2...
No, this was better. If this had been an episode where by the end Snow Girl started talking about teacher's muscles I would have dropped it like a rock. They needed to change it up a little bit and they did that. Still all of them chasing after sensei and asking why he was running away still smacks of light harem hijinks. I also would like to see Succubus-Sensei start acting like an adult and not an enabler. She should have admonished Hikari and not try to get into the action herself.

Quote:
In all seriousness, sometimes a kid just needs a damn hug or a reassuring pat on the shoulder. But people are so paranoid that male teachers will take any opportunity to rape their students that said teachers can't give the help those kids need without fear of getting fired or worse.
Agreed. Unfortunately, that's not where society is. I had a friend back in college who wanted to be an elementary school teacher. He was a very kind and gentle person, but he got no end of flak and undermining by female teachers who didn't think a male should be in charge of children. Of course it didn't help that we lived in the bible belt and also that in the 1980s the country was discovering sexual abuse existed with the result that we now had police officers coming into elementary schools aggressively asking confused children if someone had "touched them". On the other hand, sometimes the rules are to protect teachers and schools. You have a student conference with the door open and in some districts if there's a student fight you call security not try to break it up yourself, because its not unheard of a teacher being falsely accused of injuring the student breaking up the fight or touching them when the door is closed. Also acts of physical kindness can be misconstrued by confused kids. Its not an easy thing to try to protect both kids and teachers from misunderstandings let alone keep the wrong people trying to take advantage of such situations out.

TL;DR: Its complicated.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
Understanding that they are like a normal person, but not ignoring how their nature can also form a part of them that should not be ignored for its effect. I don't think I paraphrased it perfectly, but I can really highlight this as something big that I can tie back to my own experience. My autism can and has caused problems through much of my schooling, my high school (years 8 to 12) had a special needs department that was a lot of help, providing support when I needed it. And from recalling I can say support was nice for the problems I had, but there might have been some problems with assumptions, the thing was that unlike what they might expect and like the others around me, I was actually pretty smart, I did not really have trouble paying attention or in general my behaviour. It was actually pretty big mistakes when they did things like put me in classes that were for that type of students, it ignored me personally.

But it was not like there was no help I needed. This might sound weird to people, but for some reason a memory always sticks in my mind that I once got "corrected" when I said that I was Asperger's, to instead that I was a person with Asperger's. I kind of knew the intention, that they were saying I was not defined by it, but the way it was said made it feel like they were saying that it was not a part of who I was as a person, that it was kind of separate, and I don't think that was quite right. I kind of connect it to a time high school that I was bullied, and I was internally shouting at myself that I would be happier if I was normal and I was who I was supposed to be if I was not so different. I consider it personal growth that I have come to think that I am myself, and there are a lot of different things that make me who I am, and they don't stop me from being happy and I can embrace them.

Okay, I have gushed about my own high school days, focusing on the show. Hikari is cool, yeah her physical contact can be a bit I imagine trying, but she is fun, essentially how is as an individual beyond just being a vampire, I think that is actually one of the saving graces of the show. I have my own thoughts/theory that maybe their parents either don't see the concerns she has, or the individual through her nature, and that Himari joining Hikari in some vampire things like the strap and choker as being part of her sister. The first might be just brought on from my own experience from one parent saying there was nothing wrong with me, and the other focusing too much on what was.

I think that I have talked too much about myself this time.

Takahashi having to draw the line with hugging Sakie was funny. And actually only raising my curiosity of what trouble she had through school.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Nom nom nom..

Looks like Yuki made an effort to make friends, even going with the gossip girls.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
yuna49 Wrote:
Quote:
Himari's wearing a crucifix seems rather strange, almost as if she were trying to protect herself from her sister.

The whole basis of a vampire being hurt by a cross is that the vampires are some sort of demon and, as such, anathema to Christianity and vice versa. In many vampire stories it is the faith behind the cross that repels the vampire. If you don't believe the cross doesn't help. What will work depends on your religion. Since it is unlikely that either of the sisters is a believing Christian, Himari's cross is just a decoration.

Further since in this story vampires are simply a mutation and not a human shaped demon the question of religion doesn't matter.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

I think a lesson here is that Himari is right in that Hikari is maybe being a bit too coddled by attention given by her nature and needing to be more responsible. Being a little tough on her might be required. Among the worst I was thinking was putting parts of herself in the fridge meant for her blood packs, but maybe runs into being explained that she heats up easier than others or prefers to be cool due to her nature. Maybe a bit of seeing what she actually needs help on, and what is maybe excessive.

As someone who has prominently in schooling deserved getting a certain concession of help and tended to often make myself go without because I did not want others to think I was abusing it, I kind of understand. A bit of laziness might have partially been in, I kept avoiding through university actually signing up for consideration. I think that I kind of empathise with Hikari in some ways I might not want to admit to.

Actually, I have been thinking, Machi's body is actually really tall, like she would be much bigger than any other female character in the show if her head was placed the same as everyone else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5