• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Often Do Japanese Teenagers Live Alone?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Um....*laughs ruefully*

I think you guys are insane....you can't turn on the news today without hearing about someone getting shot, kidnapped, molested, or killed in a fire every single freaking day.

If I had a kid, I would probably keep them out of public school because everything is so backwards and corrupt and it keeps getting worse now. There is no respect for authority here whatsoever.

I'm terrified of even driving to the mall by myself. Gangs keep rioting over there and shooting people even though there's a police station IN the freaking mall!

Yeah, as others have pointed out, there are over 320,000,000 people in the US of A. With that many people, even at very low probabilities, things will nonetheless happen. The Press, bless their hearts, are only too happy to shove it down our throats whenever something bad *does* happen. This leads to an emotional impression that there is danger around every corner, which in turn leads to paranoia and over-protectiveness.

But aside from all of that, I think kids *have* to be exposed to the real world, and that keeping them under your wing out of an excessive sense of protectiveness will actually harm them in the long run, because they won't mature properly. Yes, there is a certain amount of risk letting them explore the world on their own, but *not* letting them do that creates a far greater risk of social/emotional ignorance and an inability to navigate the various things that adults need to handle. A good parent, IMO, knows how to balance the need for safety with the need to let kids develop, and these days, I think that few parents are able to do that.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
If I had a kid, I would probably keep them out of public school because everything is so backwards and corrupt and it keeps getting worse now. There is no respect for authority here whatsoever.

I moved to a less-expensive home in a relatively upscale suburb so my daughter could attend public school there. I think you're making vast unwarranted generalizations from wherever "here" is for you.

And, as for violent crimes, the rate has been falling consistently for over two decades now.

Unfortunately the public's beliefs about crime have little to do with facts and more to do with media pandering and fear-mongering by right-wing politicians.

Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

I moved to a less-expensive home in a relatively upscale suburb so my daughter could attend public school there. I think you're making vast unwarranted generalizations from wherever "here" is for you.

And, as for violent crimes, the rate has been falling consistently for over two decades now.

Unfortunately the public's beliefs about crime have little to do with facts and more to do with media pandering and fear-mongering by right-wing politicians.

Yes, yes, I'm sure the media quota is a high contributing factor to scare people but seriously, if you just WALK around the mall near my town, if you talk to police officers or know people who have witnessed all the violence and drug abuse happening, it does not feel like paranoia at all; it feels real.

I live in western PA and there has always been drug problems here. I mean, I saw a teacher get arrested for having heroine. I saw it, okay? It feels somewhat safe in my neighborhood but if you just travel about ten miles, it doesn't feel like that anymore. I can't just handwave it away with "the media is overexaggerating".

Last edited by Chiibi on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
One thing that I am proud of with my church is that they send out 18 and 19 year olds and have them live on their own for a couple of years far away from home, usually in a very different environment than what they're used to (I lived in El Salvador for instance). It's a way to see the world for how it really is and ensures that our childhood which may have been coddled in a protective bubble is no longer chaining our individuality down. As a society, we cannot live in a bubble. Kids today who never get the chance to experience independence until university are going to have real troubles when they finally exit their bubbles.

In just a matter of a decade Halloween has gone from a time where I bought 10 big bags of candy to hand out to where absolutely nobody knocked on my door this past year, a first. All you have to do is look at what we've done to Halloween to see that America at large is fueled by irrationality, mistrust, and paranoia of our fellow neighbors. It's ridiculous.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I live in western PA and there has always been drug problems here. I mean, I saw a teacher get arrested for having heroine. I saw it, okay? It feels somewhat safe in my neighborhood but if you just travel about ten miles, it doesn't feel like that anymore. I can't just handwave it away with "the media is overexaggerating".

I'm not saying that you are exaggerating the situation where you live, but the US is a vast and diverse country. Perhaps you would choose to move elsewhere if you had children. I would.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I'm not saying that you are exaggerating the situation where you live, but the US is a vast and diverse country.

That it is. Cities are probably the most unsafe places....every city has its good spots and bad spots...but some are worse than others.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
The boogeyman now, rather than pedophiles or druggists, are terrorists. I have seen commercials unironically asking viewers if they know their children will be safe in the event of a terrorist attack, treating them as if they were natural disasters. Though frankly, if children are unsafe from terrorists, I'd say adults would be too.

However, something no one here has mentoned is that I think what some parents are just as afraid of--the trouble that can fall on these children--is the trouble they themselves might cause. Who's to say their kids aren't jumping on other people's cars or vandalizing storefronts when they're not away?

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I never would've imagined that the relationship between adolescents and the general public would be considered so safe that it's not uncommon for teens to actually live alone.

Fascinating. It sounds ludicrous for a huge American city like Chicago, New York, or LA.

Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine, as I live in an urban area with high crime and where the gangster lifestyle is still popular. I've always wondered how kids in Japan can keep free of bad influences. Surely there must be a few of those delinquents everywhere doing some recruitment.

DerekL1963 wrote:
One has to wonder how this ties back into the school having such a large involvement in the kid's lives outside of school as was the subject of a question recently.

If I were to take a guess, they're probably quite heavily tied: Since a lot of kids in Japan live without their parents, I'll bet teachers and other school staff function as their parental substitutes, considering they take up parent-like roles of being role models, assisting the kids when they need help or emotional support, and otherwise being there when the kids need it.

Re:SOUL wrote:
I think it's a matter of opinion. I was independent from an early age and was going to school by myself by the time I was 8 which my partner thinks is shocking. Even before I hit my teens I could do things for myself that parents probably did for their kids and as a university student I don't see what's so lonely about living by yourself. Maybe it's the western culture of having to go out on Fridays and Saturdays to have fun with friends.

Also depends on the parents. Some want to put some independence into their children (which I'd guess yours was like), whereas some other parents prefer to keep their children dependent, either as company, out of fear something bad could happen to them when they're not looking, or, in some more troubling cases, to keep their wings clipped and remain submissive.

John Thacker wrote:
In reality, the United States is easily safe enough for similar practices as Japan (maybe not as young as two), considering that the US crime rate is far, far lower than it was from 1960 through the 1990s, time periods when children and teenagers moved unaccompanied far more than now, including on trains and airplanes. It doesn't have much to do with the crime rate, rather it has quite a bit more to do with what is seen as socially acceptable, and as part of that, what will get you arrested or informed upon to CPS.

I'd have to disagree with you there, at least where I live. The specific neighborhood where I live is at the border between the territories of two gangs, and while the gangsters will leave you alone as long as you leave them alone (but if you help them, they'll help you tenfold), I would be too afraid for kids to get caught in a bad situation. Especially since there are a lot of crazy drugged people on the streets. The school bus stop where I used to get off at had this one homeless guy who was always drugged up, who was incredibly creepy and once tried to climb onto the bus. The driver had to physically stop him.

Well, there's also how very automobile-dependent this area is. A kid COULD walk to and from school...if they have the time, the stamina, and the dedication to walk 8 miles or more, which is the distance I had to travel from home to my elementary school. (It was 15 miles with my middle school and 13 for my high school.) It really is just miles and miles of neighborhood with no non-residential places except churches, surrounded by mountains, horse ranches, and empty fields before you find any place to actually travel to.

On the other hand, the town where I went to college was pretty safe. It was full of people high on marijuana, but they were harmless (if sometimes physically intrusive). I stayed right next to a police station, and it didn't seem like they had much to do besides catching drunk drivers (which is still pretty dangerous though--which reminds me, there are a lot of reckless drivers here, but that's a matter of concern for adults too).

rinmackie wrote:
While I haven't heard of any teens living alone, when I was growing up, it wasn't unusual for kids to be left alone at home after school while their parents worked. (This was in the 80's, and I was born in the 70's.) They were called "latchkey kids" by the media. And kids in general, had more freedom then they do today. Of course, it was during the 80's that the medial starting sensationalizing child abductions and all other sorts of horrors that could possibly befall a child. Also, this is when a lot of mothers were working outside the home and divorce rates were skyrocketing.

As a result, by the 90's, parents were frightened of the idea of leaving their children alone and this gave rise to the "helicopter parents." So things that were "normal" when I was kid like letting your school-age child stay home alone or letting your kids play outside by themselves, even until dark! are now a thing of the past. Though I'm not sure it's the same everywhere; there are places that are relatively safe and despite what the news tells you, the crime rate in general, is lower then it's ever been. And not everyone lives in a crime-infested, dangerous neighborhood. But the things I was able to do as a child could nowadays get my parents in trouble with the law!

I think I grew up right during the transition, as I knew about the concept of latchkey kids, but they were viewed negatively--or at least, the parents of latchkey kids were views negatively as being negligent and uncaring. I also knew about the "Won't anyone please think of the children?" political campaign, though I didn't really know what it was in relation to.

Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Actually, I'd consider that less of a problem in areas like suburbs and cul-de-sacs than in neighborhoods that aren't well off. I'd think that the bigger problem is the distance and in many cases, lack of sidewalks.

In my area, at least, it depends on the social strata. Kids from the higher classes may not need to do much, other than study, and school buses will pick them up until a certain age, where they may get a car, or if they stay late, they may call their parents to pick them up. They're seen as somewhat sheltered.

I was more of a middle-class microbe, so I took the school bus until I was 15, and later on, I took normal buses, especially when I had to go to my university. Nowadays, the bus system is just slightly better, though. Confused. And I started doing errands at around the age of 12, when I bought groceries, and later on cigarettes, for my mother (illegal as hell, but people looked to the other side).

Kids from poorer areas, on the other hand, may be sent to do errands at young ages, but the risk of them being kidnapped or endangered exists, and lately, there have been nasty news about a girl who was abducted and killed. But that is a topic for another day.

I'd say that the prevalence of drug dealers is really more about population density and ease of travel. Logically, a drug dealer will get the most profit if there are a lot of clients, and where are there a lot of clients? Where there are a lot of people. If you ever check out Drugs, Inc. on the National Geographic Channel, you'll see that a drug network exists in pretty much every major city in the United States and Canada (though how visible they are varies a lot). It's small rural towns where they're less common or even nonexistent. There just isn't a viable market out in the sticks even if you're the only dealer around.

I really have no idea how it works in Japan though. Maybe the Yakuza handles most of that. In any case, there isn't the same kind of urge to rebel in Japanese kids as there are in American kids.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Parents these days are *far* more (over-)protective of their kids. From Soccer Moms to Helicopter Moms, parents seem to want to know what their children are doing at all times, and to keep them busy doing something all the time. This is the *opposite* of freedom and individuality that an earlier posted commented on, and IMO is a bad thing because it limits the maturation process of kids.

Sometimes, that's intentional. I once met these parents whose son continued to speak like Elmer Fudd well into middle school because they thought it was so cute.

Afezeria wrote:
Just by reading a few comments here, I didn't know that english speaking countries/western continental are THAT overprotective of their children. I'll also still kept tagging along with my family throughout my 23 years worth of life but they never really cared about what I did once I grew up to reached high school, as I'm free to make my own decisions. They still supported me with whatever necessary, but my daily activities are not limited to anything at all. I'd used to lived in an university's dormitory for a few years, with new friends that I'll never got into contact with now except for one sole person and being away from my family by hundreds of miles, though still in the same country, that is. I really enjoyed the feeling of living alone, and wouldn't mind keeping it up for long if I've given a chance to move away. Of course, communication with friends and families should be expectedly continuous, as long as I'm able bodied and the person being communicated at is alive and well too.

In shorter summary, I wouldn't mind being alone and independant, and from what I can see in this country through personal observation, parents aren't overbearing and protective most of the times, and there's quite a lot of teens that lived alone too because of their parents being busy in working. I don't know much about the subject here to expand further into the horizon.

Despite the general super-protective stereotype of parents here in the Unites States, there's been an increase in households where both parents work (due to a combination of wages not keeping up with inflation and the exploding price of land, especially after the real estate bubble burst), meaning that their children will have to be by themselves for extended periods of time. This is treated as a reluctant fact of life.

You can also see the desire for independence here in how so many teenagers look forward to going to college because they can be by themselves for once.

Interesting you have such accepting parents though. Is that normal in Malaysia? There's the stereotype of the Asian parent here, who railroad their kids into high-paying, risk-free jobs and treat the arts and other creative fields like poison.

RestLessone wrote:
Also important to remember that much of the US population live in the suburbs and has reliance on cars. I'm sure kids living in, say, NYC have more to do after school than someone who has to drive a decent while to get to anywhere halfway interesting. Cities also make movement a lot easier, and you'll always be in eyeshot of something. Speaking of cars, though, there's a responsibility most countries don't give teens that the US does. Depending on the state, people can get full licenses anywhere from 14 to 17 years of age.

It's 18 years of age in California. I strongly suspect this is due to huge amounts of underage drinking. Those under 18 years old can only get a permit, which allows them to drive under certain conditions, such as having someone 25 years or older accompanying them.

Chiibi wrote:
[I think you guys are insane....you can't turn on the news today without hearing about someone getting shot, kidnapped, molested, or killed in a fire every single freaking day.

I'm terrified of even driving to the mall by myself. Gangs keep rioting over there and shooting people even though there's a police station IN the freaking mall!

Heh, sounds like that decaying mall in Chicago--the police station there was made BECAUSE there was so much gang activity there.

In any case, you speak like a lack of respect for authority is inherently a bad thing. (My stance is that respect for authority must be earned: Blind obedience is just as bad as anarchic rebelliousness.)

Alan45 wrote:
Chiibi Wrote;
Quote:
you can't turn on the news today without hearing about someone getting shot, kidnapped, molested, or killed in a fire every single freaking day.

That is because of modern news media. It used to be that most such crimes were only reported locally. Now with 24 hour stations as well as Internet news outlets almost any crime anywhere gets reported as if it happened next door. All you have to do is follow the news and get scared to death. If you actually read the deeper news you will see reports that violent crime in the US is at a rather low level. Certainly there are hot spots. Almost any city will have areas you should avoid. That said, even in the largest cities most of the area is safe.

Nah, my local news IS like that. There are at least five news stories of someone who was killed, seriously maimed, arrested, or abducted every day.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
In any case, you speak like a lack of respect for authority is inherently a bad thing.

It IS....when you want to keep people safe on the streets but I'm not just talking about police here. It's like kids don't respect any adults now. A local teacher told me that when she asked a student to "please pick up" a folder he purposely threw on the floor, he told her to "go f**k herself".

.............there's something wrong with that. When I was in school, I didn't DARE speak to my teachers like that and I never heard any of my classmates talk that way either....not even the more rebellious ones.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Nah, my local news IS like that. There are at least five news stories of someone who was killed, seriously maimed, arrested, or abducted every day.

Nobody is saying that there aren't any localized bad spots - only that the vast majority of the country (contrary to popular opinion) is pretty safe. You and others keep trying to generalize from your local conditions... which doesn't work all that well. IIRC, you live in a large metro area with a population in the millions - coming up with five such stories a day isn't that hard even if the vast majority of the people don't live in bad spots.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
In any case, you speak like a lack of respect for authority is inherently a bad thing.

It IS....when you want to keep people safe on the streets but I'm not just talking about police here. It's like kids don't respect any adults now. A local teacher told me that when she asked a student to "please pick up" a folder he purposely threw on the floor, he told her to "go f**k herself".

If you're seeing kids performing any erratic manners this severe, then the parents might done something nightmarish to them and/or they might have experienced a horrific event involving other malevolent adults. Kids (at least most of them) don't just go into an outrage right out of the blue.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

.............there's something wrong with that. When I was in school, I didn't DARE speak to my teachers like that and I never heard any of my classmates talk that way either....not even the more rebellious ones.

Yeah, that's pretty extreme...but at the same time, I have seen that behavior myself. If adults don't have any real means of discipline, that's how the kids are going to behave because they know the adults can't really do anything to them.

DerekL1963 wrote:
Nobody is saying that there aren't any localized bad spots - only that the vast majority of the country (contrary to popular opinion) is pretty safe. You and others keep trying to generalize from your local conditions... which doesn't work all that well. IIRC, you live in a large metro area with a population in the millions - coming up with five such stories a day isn't that hard even if the vast majority of the people don't live in bad spots.

Of course. But my point is that there are places where keeping children protected at the cost of their freedom IS an understandable thing to do, that this is what I experienced growing up (which was the 90's, right around the apex of that chart put up earlier--and on top of that), and that it exists, as some people here seem to be saying that such levels of danger don't exist in the United States.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
If you're seeing kids performing any erratic manners this severe, then the parents might done something nightmarish to them and/or they might have experienced a horrific event involving other malevolent adults. Kids (at least most of them) don't just go into an outrage right out of the blue.

I would suspect the other way around--if there aren't any disciplinary forces around a kid, they're more likely to not take adults seriously.

Little kids (like, as in those 5 years old or younger) are naturally egotistical, as they don't yet understand the concept of others vs. self. Ordinarily, other people exerting their authority over these kids will temper that egotism and allow them to develop a proper sense of others vs. self, namely that they're not godlike. Logically, if such exertion never occurs, the kids will never properly develop that sense.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I would suspect the other way around--if there aren't any disciplinary forces around a kid, they're more likely to not take adults seriously.

"Disciplinary forces"...
I sense an ominous meaning being hidden within these choice of words...

Quote:
Little kids (like, as in those 5 years old or younger) are naturally egotistical, as they don't yet understand the concept of others vs. self.

"Naturally" egotistical...I'm not sure if I'm buying this, as small kids do have varying personalities of their own...

Quote:
Ordinarily, other people exerting their authority over these kids will temper that egotism and allow them to develop a proper sense of others vs. self, namely that they're not godlike.

...or it could end up encouraging that egotism even further. I think kids would learn the power of hospitality much better if they were surrounded by hospitable people instead of people that try to force compliance through aggression.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

"Disciplinary forces"...
I sense an ominous meaning being hidden within these choice of words...

I don't have any. It's the most general phrase I can think of in regards to adults making sure kids don't misbehave or cause trouble (or too much trouble).

In addition, I would actually say that while you're right in that some kids will react differently to the same scenarios than others, excessive hospitality will spoil a kid and could REALLY make them think they can get away with everything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4