• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline: Warner Bros. In Negotiations for Western Attack on Titan Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit that the Japanese live action AOT produced by whoever is involved is severely flawed and not astonishing to looked at, especially because of a certain subplot that truly doesn't make sense at all to happened.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Goddammit. I wanted to make one if/when I get into the film business. It's utterly perfect; you can adapt the whole first season without Evolution-ing the whole thing, it can be done with minimal effects, and as previously mentioned, no whitewashing allegations.
Shinuki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:
More whitewashing incoming, smh.

Everyone in AOT is European except one person and that's a plot point.

Sacarsm.

You really need to work your "sarcasm", is pretty bad Laughing
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Well, I heard good things about "Fantastic Beasts And Where to Find Them," so that's good news.

Actually he's the producer of the original Harry Potter movies. Without him they wouldn't exist.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
AmethystMoon420 wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:

Have you read the manga? Most of the cast is white lol
Mikasa is the only Asian left. That's why she was kidnapped at the beginning of the story.

And she's half Asian at that.

So Emma Stone should be a safe bet to play her then.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
#sukkar wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
AmethystMoon420 wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:

Have you read the manga? Most of the cast is white lol
Mikasa is the only Asian left. That's why she was kidnapped at the beginning of the story.

And she's half Asian at that.

So Emma Stone should be a safe bet to play her then.

She'd be participating in a death match with Scarlett Johansson to out-whitewash each other and then Rinko Kikuchi would be pushed into the ring by fans.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
The live-action remakes were absolute garbage.
The manga & anime are perfect just the way they are.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Considering the WB has been putting that "Akira" adaptation on limbo, I question whether or not they are competent to do a live-action AoT. However, AoT is 1 of those anime/manga that would be ideal for a future summer movie. Since most of the story is a Western (spec. German for some parts) setting and most of the cast "white", we don't have to worry about the PC brigade as much.
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
MY ATTACK ON TITAN DREAM CAST:

Erwin Smith = Chris Evans
Levi Ackerman = Dane Dehaan
Eren Jaeger = Dylan O'Brien
Mikasa Ackerman = Chloe Bennet
Armin Arlert = Thomas Brodie Sangster or Isaac Hempstead Wright
Hanji Zoe = Mindy Kaling or Tina Fey (yeah, a little whitewashing because she'd be so good as Hanji. Sorry...)
Annie Leonhardt = Emily Browning
Reiner Braun = Will Poulter
Connie Springer = Rory Culkin (Macaulay's little bro)
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Hanji Zoe is supposed to be Indian in the manga? I'm sorry to say the only names I recognize on your list besides Chris Evans (and Culkin, if knowing his brother counts) are the actresses you chose for her. Both hilarious comics, both would probably be considered too old for the part by Hollywood standards. Tina Fey could probably play Erin's mom, though!
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:16 am Reply with quote
There's no confirmed ethnicity for Hange. I don't think s/he looks Indian though. It's actually kind of confusing, since a lot of people assumed Hange was the last name, and Zoë was the first name, but its the other way around. Since Zoë is spelled the Dutch way, it's possible s/he is Dutch.

Chloe Bennet may be half Chinese, but she hardly looks it. If you polled most people, showed them a picture of her and her name, they'd probably say she's white or hispanic, but not asian. Even though Mikasa is half asian, her asian features clearly show more than her European features.
kuzronk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
"Fantastic Beasts And Where to Find Them producer David Heyman would be on board to produce a proposed two-film project that would remake the 2015 Japanese live-action film adaptations. "
Attack on Titan is a bit crappy but why the live action film? The first one was borderline awful and I thought liberals ran Hollywood more or less.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
kuzronk wrote:
"Fantastic Beasts And Where to Find Them producer David Heyman would be on board to produce a proposed two-film project that would remake the 2015 Japanese live-action film adaptations. "
Attack on Titan is a bit crappy but why the live action film? The first one was borderline awful and I thought liberals ran Hollywood more or less.

Coming into this article I was thinking there was no way it could be as bad as the Japanese live action films, until I read that part. Remake them? Seriously? Did they not catch any of the backlash about how bad those movies were? Or do they just not care? If they followed the actual story of the manga, the movies might turn out ok. But if they take any inspiration from how the Japanese films alternated the material.
MisakiLove

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Goddammit. I wanted to make one if/when I get into the film business. It's utterly perfect; you can adapt the whole first season without Evolution-ing the whole thing, it can be done with minimal effects, and as previously mentioned, no whitewashing allegations.

This is so true, It would be great! Very Happy I would also like to be in the film business Cool
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:55 am Reply with quote
They can´t be worse than Shinji Higuchi´s rubbish (how did he co-direct a good Godzilla film?).
It had to happen too, so why not. One of them will get it right, besides Edge of Tomorrow. The film would also include organic diversity, if adapted correctly. Unlike the... what´s the word here... "Yellow Washed" Japanese take. Just get a veteran director, as that is where all of them fall down.
WB´s current DC films are very successfully and i liked or loved all 3, so we at least got the right studio.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3