• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voltron: Legendary Defender Season 2 Trailer Previews New Worlds, Allies, Enemies

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
So is this show any good? I tend to be fairly disinterested in the 'western cartoon trying to be anime' type show (and I hated Avatar), so I'm kinda reluctant on this one, but at the same time I don't want to just instantly write it off without giving it a chance. Should I check it out?

It's a lot better than the last few attempts at a Voltron sequel, but hardly perfect.
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
i recently started watching this and i really really like it but why does it have an article on anime news network
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Hey, a new ally in armor. Romelle? This universes version of Lotor?

Also the trailer needs more giant robot fights. Why the hell does the giant robot show have so few giant robot fights? I need to watch Kuromukuro again for my fix.

My first thought was that it might turn out to be Lotor, and that they're setting him up (and a relationship with Keith) for bigger role later on after the team takes down Zarkon.

Of course, the figure does look like it could be female...

And yeah, while I understand the showrunners' desire to emphasize the pilots and their contributions, as well as making when they form Voltron have more impact by being less frequent, I would like to see more of the titular giant robot actually showing up and doing stuff.
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
kpk wrote:
So since it's from the creators of Avatar; Who's gonna turn out to be gay? I bet on Shiro.

Not the creators, just the staff, so there's hopefully that doesn't happen. One of the characters in the trailer looks like a girl (new love interest for Keith?) but who can tell?

"Hopefully"?!

Keep your homophobic opinions to yourself.
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Pretty much ruined Korra as a whole because that's what all everyone all talks about. Not sure what the writers were thinking.

You just said the reason. It's all anyone remembers Korra for. Rather than go out forgotten and irrelevent, they brilliantly pulled out Korra suddenly being gay and brag on social media how groundbreaking and revolutionary they are, and it will go down in the history books, or something...

And they were right. So what's your point?
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:03 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
So since it's from the creators of Avatar; Who's gonna turn out to be gay? I bet on Shiro.

I doubt they'll go any further than one of the female characters dressing like a boy even though she doesn't need to anymore. She doesn't appear to be transgender though (like everyone seems to call her) since the writers still refer to her as female. She just seems to like being boyish which I suppose is inspiring in its own way.

As for how the castle keeps getting found, I'll point out that the SDCC preview strongly implied that Shiro was going away this season and Keith would be taking over as leader. Could be misdirection, we'll see.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

I doubt they'll go any further than one of the female characters dressing like a boy even though she doesn't need to anymore. She doesn't appear to be transgender though (like everyone seems to call her) since the writers still refer to her as female. She just seems to like being boyish which I suppose is inspiring in its own way.

As for how the castle keeps getting found, I'll point out that the SDCC preview strongly implied that Shiro was going away this season and Keith would be taking over as leader. Could be misdirection, we'll see.

Emerje

I don't know that SDCC preview to me seems heavily focused on when the team is separated by the events of season 1's finale. If you remember Shiro and Keith were shot through the same wormhole during the finale. This new trailer clearly shows the team back together after those events. I kind of expect ep 1 of this season to be a 3 part hour and a half special like last seasons premier about how the team gets back together.

I don't get all the people clamoring for Shiro to be killed off. I like his character and I want to see him lead the team more. They also set up huge story plot points with Shiro during last seasons finale that would be wasted if he was killed off. I get people want Allura back in a lion but they don't need her to be.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:19 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
Because they were going for more then the monster of the week aspect the original was. I applaud it because it showed the characters were more resourceful and just as able outside the lions as in the lions. While yes I also want to see more Voltron in the second season at 2-3 more giant monster fights but I also don't want every episode to end with a giant monster and them forming Voltron to defeat it.

Which begs the question why bother adapting a mecha show if the writers have a phobia of mecha battles, aside from nostalgia. Though I suppose that mindset gives some insight into why mecha never caught on in America.

diamoundheadx wrote:
i recently started watching this and i really really like it but why does it have an article on anime news network

Sometimes tertiary articles on anime get reported on. In this case it's an American adaption of an anime.

-Stuart Smith
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

And they were right. So what's your point?

All it proved was how desperate people were that they would hitch their scraps to anything.

Quote:
Which begs the question why bother adapting a mecha show if the writers have a phobia of mecha battles, aside from nostalgia. Though I suppose that mindset gives some insight into why mecha never caught on in America.

US adaptations of Voltron have always had this problem. It's why the show has failed till now outside of the original.

This one seems to have had a ton of fujioshi grab onto it insisting everyone is gay to the point the presence of a woman in a trailer had them all threatening to stop watching. To which I say...good! If you fell in love with your own personal interpretation of characters and their actual personalities are completely different and that is enough to make you drop the show, you were never a fan in the first place.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Monster Hunter wrote:
Because they were going for more then the monster of the week aspect the original was. I applaud it because it showed the characters were more resourceful and just as able outside the lions as in the lions. While yes I also want to see more Voltron in the second season at 2-3 more giant monster fights but I also don't want every episode to end with a giant monster and them forming Voltron to defeat it.

-Stuart Smith

Not all Mecha anime are a monster of the week type anime. Eureka Seven wasn't like that, Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans isn't like that, etc... Back in the 80's it was just plain cheaper to have a final battle with a minute long transformation sequence. They could use the same footage every episode saving money every episode for that sequence alone. Not to mention all the other recycled footage they would use through out episodes. I want more scenes with Voltron in this season. I want some more giant robot battles but I am also glad they don't make that the only way to end a show. I liked the episode when Commander Sendak took over the castle and took out everybody but Pidge. It was great to see Pidge use intelligence and guile to defeat the invaders and save everyone.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
"Hopefully"?!

Keep your homophobic opinions to yourself.

And here's a tip for you: keep your virtue signaling to yourself. They're probably just referring to to the perceived rushed execution from Korra, not the concept in of itself.

Also, this being reported on ANN because it's very much anime related.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I've made my frustrations with Korra and its somewhat sleazy attempt to save face for its bad writing known, and expressed relief that the two head writers have nothing to do with Voltron, so we won't see that sort of deflecting. But that's off topic.

What is on topic is that while the monster of the day is passe, big battles with enemies capable of fighting the super robot on even footing don't go out of style. Give me more enemy mecha, give me more giant robot slugfests, give me a Galra mobile armor, give me homages to classic robots for Voltron to fight. Hell, stick it to haters by having Voltron fight a knockoff of Voltes V. That's what I want from this. Not some headcanon that has nothing to do with the actual show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2