• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
That is an impressive number, Blood-, it is kind of crazy when you look back at all of the shows. And a great milestone for a nice round number.

Wondering what mine is... the file I keep of anime pictures says just ahead at 621, these are folders where I take a promotional art image of every series I finish, because there is no way I can remember them all if I have to think of one of one or look for recommendations. My 600th series with this must have been…. Bananya, that is so stupid.

Although I tend to not add second seasons unless they are markedly different or maybe with a big new cast added. My “My Anime” list on ANN is at a seen all of 828. I watch way too many though, and I made the accomplishment of dropping Days which I was totally hating, and Nanbaka was not connecting with me so I also dropped it early on. Bloodivores was really the only terrible show I watched this season, with just a couple meh shows like Strike Witches.

Christmas day and have the last episodes of 5 series to finish off. Reviewing each finished show in the forums has been a little bit tiring.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
So...I watched infamous twenty-fourth episode of SAO. All I can say is "WOW". This was just as bad as people said it was. Here are some stuff I will be discussing when I post the recap tomorrow:

* Why Sugou doesn't work as an effective antagonist.
* How Asuna's character derailment culminates in a single moment
* The amateur use of rape and sexual assault straight out of bad fanfiction
* How utterly f**king stupid certain plot developments are (spoiler[Ghost of Christmas Kayaba, REALLY?])

I will have so many words. See you then!
peter a

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Well you was warned , you know what everyone said about it , that it started off with promise then went to shit with the faires .

Last edited by peter a on Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Toradora Christmas arc episodes 17~19

BECAUSE IT'S CHRISTMAS!!! Wink

And Vaisaga is totally wrong about this ship being random. It's apparent that Ryuuji's feelings spoiler[were wavering towards Taiga through this three episode arc; Ami practically tries to spell it out for him but he's simply in denial. :p]

peter a wrote:
Well you was warned , you know what everyone said about it , that it started off with promise then went shit with the faires .

I like to pretend the ALO arc doesn't exist....with the exception of episode 25 because it's actually quite heart-warming and fun. Anime hyper
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
SAO's episode 24 is sort of hilarious. Sugou spoiler[licks Asuna's tears, commenting how they taste sweet, while laughing maniacally with epic music in the backround]. LOL.

I never found ALO arc to be all that bad. It was a step down from Aincrad arc, but I still highly enjoyed it. spoiler[After the climax of Aincrad we see awake Kirito desperately trying to go look for Asuna. At this point I just really wanted to see them reunite in real life. So when it turns out that Asuna is still in a coma, I have a really good reason to root for Kirito's attempt to save her.]

SAO episode 25 spoilers spoiler[Seeing them finally reunite in the last episode overwhelmed me with good feels.]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Cam0, you and I agree on stuff WAY too much. Anime hyper

Because that's why I kept watching too.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
@Cam0

Yeah, all those faces Sugou makes are pretty f**king hilarious.

Fairy Dance is not as good as Aincrad, I can agree. Aincrad, to me, was flawed as hell, but there was a real sense of effort and passion that can't be denied. The people behind it were legitimately trying to bring something nice to the table. I can appreciate that effort, even if I felt some of the ideas came out half-baked.

The ultimate problem with Fairy Dance is that it's a sequel that's trying to continue a story that had a very conslusive ending. Any potential arc Kirito had was over by the time the last episode of Aincrad aired. There really wasn't anywhere the story could go from there, and the story Fairy Dance chose was stupid beyond all expectations. Not only that, but Fairy Dance decided it wanted to be about romance, which in spite of all the shipteasing wasn't really the point of Aincrad.

(For the record, I never cared about Kirito and Asuna's relationship, but damn, there was no excuse for it to be THIS BAD here.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Just watched a pair of odd little 10-min. shorts called Fastening Days, which were a sort of infomercial for YKK zippers. Smile These two kids go around town shooting zippers out of their little Yu-Gi-Oh-esque arm devices, zippering together everything from ripped swimming pools and arguing coworkers to runaway balloons, runaway wheelchairs and runaway ships, fixing flat tires and torn skirts in between. It was fun and creative, and had a little social drama thrown in for good measure.

I've been a fan of YKK zippers and their big clunky teeth since I started making my own jeans. Much better than those flimsy Coats & Clark coils. ;D
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:53 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Cam0, you and I agree on stuff WAY too much. Anime hyper

Eh, there has just been a streak of things we agree on recently. Razz
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Re-watched Your Name. It wasn't as good as last time but that I already expected. Still feels like Shinkai's best film ever.

peter a wrote:
@Blood
Quote:
I reached another personal viewing milestone last night when I finished watching my 600th anime TV series to completion.

Wow Blood , your anime sheet is getting big .
How fast is your computer just to keep up with your anime list ?.
So far I`m up to 53 individual shows and only started watching them this year, which contain multiple seasons ova and films, like ghost in the shell etc.
If you say 20 episodes and 30 minutes on average that 10 hours per show and 530 hours total , I must be sad !!!!!

In my case I had watched about 100 anime by the time I joined the site in late 2012, 4 years ago. Since then I cut down severely the amount of live action stuff I watch (like by 90%) while I focused more on animation and manga. So I went from 100 to about 400 titles by beginning of 2015, in 2 years of very intensive watching including days of vacation when I watched 25 episodes (or two whole 12-13 episodes shows in a day), now I am near 490 after another two years because I cut down my consumption of animation and focused on manga. Since I beginning to learn Japanese now I plan to watch more and read less to get a hang of understanding the language.

The main difference between manga and anime is that manga doesn't impose a pacing on the reader while anime does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:13 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching Time of Eve and I have to say I really liked it. The way the individual episodes centred around each character and how the humans and androids blend in together inside the cafe made the episode featuring spoiler["Koji & Rina"] especially interesting. Also I liked the way they used the camera angles at times to change to first person view from time to time.
The only thing I would've liked from the series was it to have an episode centring Nagi and maybe Setoro (the guy who is usually reading) as well
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm into the double digits of Gash Bell and.....yeah, this is definitely a solid shounen action series. But as louis pointed out, what really sells this show is its heart. Like, Gash is just adorable. He's a precious cinnamon roll. He has that silly, hyperctive kid side but he's so sweet that it's impossible to actually get annoyed or angry at him.

Kiyomaru continues to be amazing, with his perceptiveness and quick way of figuring things out. His bond with Gash has already moved me to tears.....dammit.

Sherry is an interesting character, obviously has a soft side and a past of sorrow and I can't want to learn more about her. I like how the ED especially focuses all on her.

Suzume is the only one that's getting on my nerves....because of her stupidity. She is really quite useless and doesn't add anything of substance to the show. She's probably there for comic relief but Kiyo and Gash's shtick is much funnier when they're on their own so yeah, I don't have a use for Suzume. Anime hyper It's not like it's a big deal though.

Oh I forgot about Naomi....she can go to hell. Twisted Evil DAMMIT I HATE MEAN KIDS IN ANIME. THEY'RE THE WORST.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I had to take another break to rewatch a Christmas classic. After watching Daughter of Darkness, the Tenchi Muyo film, I was completely content with the plot points and the adequate at best writing, but then I decided "Hey, I remember loving Tenchi Muyo In Love 2/Tenchi Forever. Lets rewatch that."

According to certain people who will remain unnamed for the sake of protecting their identity, this movie is one of the worst pieces in the Tenchi Muyo canon for being too serious and dramatic. Allow me to give my own two cents. Tenchi Forever is the best entry in the franchise, in my opinion. Its serious atmosphere works well with the sort of story it wants to tell, and as the first Tenchi Muyo movie showed, you really can't make a longer movie with the same antics of the show without it coming across as annoying or padding.

What the movie brings is a great character study as the girls try to bring Tenchi back while wondering "Is this right? Tenchi seems happier with this girl in her reality than he ever did with us. Are we the bad guys now?" Basically, their actions are similar to in Tenchi in Tokyo (a girl comes into Tenchi's life and they sabotage his chances with her) but their actions are done with far more justification yet also more hesitance on their part. Tenchi is happy, all worries about his sudden disappearance aside. Are they just acting on their own to get him back out of selfish lust or selfless devotion?

Certain people may complain that the art style was weird, and if you look at it, it's more similar to Tenchi in Tokyo's character designs than Tenchi Universe's (as the other movies are). You get used to it, but it can be a bit jarring for those who skipped Tokyo (and my how lucky those people are).

The antagonist of this movie has a lot more going for her than the other two movie antagonists. She's wholly sympathetic and her motives are understandable. She just wants to live the life of romance and peace that she planned out with Yosho/Kazuhito all those years ago. Now, the fact that she wants to live this life out with Yosho's grandson in his place would be considered squicky... if she weren't from Jurai. I think we all know how their rituals go. Lets just move on from that.

Honestly, I wish there were more Tenchi movies after this, or entries in the franchise like this one. It's more like a Ghibli film than a Tenchi one. I'd say this is like... if Serial Experiments Lain wrote a movie for Tenchi. Great effort. I rate it Excellent. I await angry Tenchi fans to lynch me for liking the least Tenchi-like of the franchise the most.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
Hey everybody! I finished the final episode of Sword Art Online's first season! It was...fine. Yeah, the first five minutes were kind of stupid, but the rest was perfectly servicable. I think it would be more accurate to call it an epilogue to the first season rather than an ending to Fairy Dance. I was pleasantly surprised that this episode wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be.

My current plan is to post my recap on Friday, then do a separate Final Thoughts in the first week of January. (I'll be doing my thoughts on 2016 on Saturday.) Most of January will be spent recuperating, watching one or two anime series on Netflix, and one or two analysis posts before I continue my Ouran recaps and start on Code Geass.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
. I await angry Tenchi fans to lynch me for liking the least Tenchi-like of the franchise the most.

BROSKI.

This is Anime News Network, not MAL. Anime hyper

I'm glad you enjoyed something and had a nice Christmas because of it. (o3o)b
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 948 of 1068