• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yuri!!! on Ice Dominates Fall Anime on Twitter Rankings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Heishi wrote:
Um, Twitter is kinda a big deal here.

I'm not sure to what the Japanese statistic is, but only around 7% of Americans use Twitter. I wouldn't reccomend taking any hashtag or movement on Twitter as any kind of big deal or reflective of actual society. It's always dangerous to surround yourself in a chamber and assume everyone in there are the majority.

Coincidentally, in this case, YoI is doing well in preorders, so there is some reflectiveness here. Of course, I wonder how many of those sales will be from foreign audiences rather than Japan. Not only does Japan buy more anime, they also are more open to sports anime than we are. Sports anime never find traction here.

-Stuart Smith

Man, I had no idea that number was that low!
I always assumed that Twitter was a popular form of social media in America compared to other things like Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest, etc.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Azrul Hakim wrote:
Just fyi Japan loves figure skating so much and one of the most popular sports in Japan. Figure skaters like Yuzuru Hanyu and Mao Asada was and still is very popular among sports fans over there. It is as popular as soccer, baseball and sumo. And if you go to any figure skating competition in Japan it will certainly be fulled withs audiences. Unfortunately in America I assume figure skating has dwindled in popularity and for couple of years Americans did not win any gold for male or female at Grand Prix Finals or the olympics.

Really? Mitsurou Kubo stated in interviews that figure skating hasn't been very popular in Japan for quite a while, and it took a lot of effort to get this project green-lit at all.

Interesting to see that all of the Top 8 on this list are titles with significant "fujoshi" followings.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Azrul Hakim"][quote="Tomchic420"][quote="kiminobokuwa"]
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
Azrul Hakim wrote:
Just fyi Japan loves figure skating so much and one of the most popular sports in Japan....!

Well, I do love the shows and it adhere to what the sports are really all about (professional skaters gives it a thumbs up for showing the competition side of the sport itself) while adding some human drama which is quite realistics and gives props to Sayo Yamamoto who did not relied on any manga to create a story, she's always been creative on shows such as Michiko To Hachin.

No offense..but take the yaoi shipping from this show and this show doesn't have a leg to stand on. I love yaoi for the life of me, i also love shounen ai but it's not all that. In fact, I was just on Twitter and no one was mentioning how bad the ending was. No real drama happened. But I do commend the director of the series. I can't lie, it was a guilty pleasure, but in all. Nothing really happened. If a second season does happen then, good for them but they need to step up their game.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I am in a position to say this much: those within my own Twitter bubble have been far more passionate and vocal in discussing Yuri on Ice than Your Name, which is quite noteworthy given the former's more restricted target audience and the latter's overwhelming success.

(That said, the limited release of the latter may curtail this significance somewhat.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
According to Pew Research, as of 2016, 24% of internet users (21% of all U.S. adults) use twitter. [/url]

Interesting. I used http://www.convinceandconvert.com/social-media-strategy/7-surprising-statistics-about-twitter-in-america/

One survey limited it to 18+ while another included minors/teens, which might explain the discrepency.

-Stuart Smith
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Damn, some people are super salty about this show being popular. Did pleasant, accessable anime kill your dog or something?

Glad YoI has done so well. It's been great fun to watch, my fave of the season. Sure islt wasn't dripping in drama and angst, but sometimes it's nice to watch adults facing and resolving their problems like adults.
NBlaze53

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
So some people here are upset that an anime news website reported on anime news? It's their job to report such stuff. Just cause you don't care doesn't mean others don't. If the article doesn't interest you, why waste time commenting about it. Rolling Eyes

I am not surprised Yuri!!! on Ice placed as highly as it did. Another anime has broken mainstream and damn is it great. Yuri!!! on Ice managed to draw in professionals of the sport it's depicting, I can't think of any other sporting anime that have done that. FREE!!! didn't do it a couple of years ago. It's a shame Yuri!!! on Ice is getting caught up in the yearly "This is the most popular anime this year therefore it's crap" trend. The show has brilliant animation and varied soundtrack, and it gives every character a chance to shine quite well. But I guess some people just can't get past the gay overtones or the fact it's mainstream and not like "muh anime".
tentensan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
NBlaze53 wrote:
So some people here are upset that an anime news website reported on anime news? It's their job to report such stuff. Just cause you don't care doesn't mean others don't. If the article doesn't interest you, why waste time commenting about it. Rolling Eyes

I am not surprised Yuri!!! on Ice placed as highly as it did. Another anime has broken mainstream and damn is it great. Yuri!!! on Ice managed to draw in professionals of the sport it's depicting, I can't think of any other sporting anime that have done that. FREE!!! didn't do it a couple of years ago. It's a shame Yuri!!! on Ice is getting caught up in the yearly "This is the most popular anime this year therefore it's crap" trend. The show has brilliant animation and varied soundtrack, and it gives every character a chance to shine quite well. But I guess some people just can't get past the gay overtones or the fact it's mainstream and not like "muh anime".

That's not it at all, I can say from watching the anime through and watching it religiously every week. If I have to take into account all the factors of the show, I would give it an 8/10. It was a little too predictable for me. I love the music also, 10/10 for the music.
In the end i just felt too played and I feel like the fans of the show are giving it too much credit because of the BL undertones. There have been anime about figure skating before that haven't received much traction or attention and i know realized why.
I don't want to be on the overhype train but, I'll buy a ticket and see if there are some people who judge the show based on what it is. A show. I also find that people are only hyping up the show because of the BL undertones. That is a fair thing to say right? If this shoe didn't have that I swear it would fade into obscurity.

Appeal to the fangirls, you'll win every time. Laughing
But in all seriousness this show isn't something to jump through fire for. But, let them have their fun. I'm sure if I had their mindset I would act the same.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
NBlaze53 wrote:

Really? Haikyuu did that quite well and is probably leagues above Yuri!! On Ice. IMO. But, then again, if had no yaoi undertones or shounen ai it would fade into the darkness. No one is saying it's bad, it's just not something to do cartwheels or give awards to. The soundtrack was nice and I commend them for bringing figure skating into the spotlight and whatever, but then it's not that, "it's popular so let's hate it" it's more like, "it's not the greatest show, but it was well done and it was entertaining". Appeal to the female masses and you shall succeed i guess. No hate, I love the characters, but it's too much especially on twitter. Overall, it was...meh..so what? The ending sucked imo too. It was so underwhelming and predictable.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, y'all sound salty af that there's concrete proof a show y'all dislike is popular Laughing oh no, different people like different things, however shall you continue with your lives

Yoi is a pretty show featuring relatable adult characters who actually act like adults, great music, realistic athletics, good character growth and writing, and some great lgbt representation. It's really not that difficult to see why it's so popular and so enjoyed
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
Wow, y'all sound salty af that there's concrete proof a show y'all dislike is popular Laughing oh no, different people like different things, however shall you continue with your lives

Yoi is a pretty show featuring relatable adult characters who actually act like adults, great music, realistic athletics, good character growth and writing, and some great lgbt representation. It's really not that difficult to see why it's so popular and so enjoyed

No, i never said I didn't like it, it's entertaining at best, but it isn't the best show of the year. Not for a mile. Characters are likeable at least, but why must we always bring LGBT into the equation? If you took that out of the show, just as an example not saying anything wrong I am a head-strong yaoi fan, (read orgeretsu tanaka's works and harada's works as well), would it be as popular as it is today? I'm just asking. It's a B- showc but i'll end it here. I'm glad it has it fans too. I enjoyed it for a bit.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
This harping on "it wouldn't be so good/popular without the same-sex relationship" is so ridiculous though. Of course it wouldn't be the same show. Because the relationship is intrinsic to it, the story and the characters' developments -especially for Yuuri and Victor- all hail from the development of their relationship as romantic partners. Both of Yuuri's programs are about his love for Victor. The decisions they make in the end are all coming from the love they share. Yuri on Ice is as much a story of self-realization as it is a love story.

Saying "it would be a mediocre show without the romance and no one would care about it" is like saying "no one would care about KimiTodo/Clannad/etc it would be a subpar show without the romantic couple". Well duh, genius. Of course it wouldn't. But it is an extremely well-written love story between two adult men overcoming their own personal issues and rekindling their love for their sport through their love of each other.

And it is important to bring the LGBT issue into the equation because seldom do we see such a respectful portrayal of non-hetero couples, let alone as the main couple, and the fact that it's being successful (whereas more fetishized stuff like Super Lovers flops) does matter because it opens the door for more creators to venture into these topics and diversifying the medium
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:

No offense..but take the yaoi shipping from this show and this show doesn't have a leg to stand on. I love yaoi for the life of me, i also love shounen ai but it's not all that. In fact, I was just on Twitter and no one was mentioning how bad the ending was. No real drama happened. But I do commend the director of the series. I can't lie, it was a guilty pleasure, but in all. Nothing really happened. If a second season does happen then, good for them but they need to step up their game.

Eh, I don't really think so. I am a straight guy who loves this show for a lot of reasons other than the gay relationship. The gay relationship is great too, but this show is very much a fantastic show for many other reasons as well. Most of which have been stated by others in the thread already. Really well handled adult drama, relatable characters, some ambitious animation(the BDs will no doubt fix a lot of the issues later on), exhilarating competition sequences, etc. etc. It's a solid 8/10 for me even without their romance.(but I also agree with CrowLia that saying this show wouldn't be as good without the romance is kind of pointless. That's what the show is about!)
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Saying "it would be a mediocre show without the romance and no one would care about it" is like saying "no one would care about KimiTodo/Clannad/etc it would be a subpar show without the romantic couple". Well duh, genius. Of course it wouldn't. But it is an extremely well-written love story between two adult men overcoming their own personal issues and rekindling their love for their sport through their love of each other.

And it is important to bring the LGBT issue into the equation because seldom do we see such a respectful portrayal of non-hetero couples, let alone as the main couple, and the fact that it's being successful (whereas more fetishized stuff like Super Lovers flops) does matter because it opens the door for more creators to venture into these topics and diversifying the medium

I wouldn't go that far. At it's core the bait in YoI is still just that: bait. Even in the final episode the narrative still doesn't actually confirm anything. If someone was watching it for that implied romance they might be disappointed at the lack of confirmation. But there's plenty of other reasons to watch the show. It's interesting when kid shows like Naruto and HxH are more direct about such things and show boys kissing, which YoI never managed to do. There's plenty of other reasons to watch the show aside from gay shipping, which is not the core point of the show so much as the skating is.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3