• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Girl Raising Project (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure. :/

I don't know if they become canon in the novels but I think there's subtext at least....?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I'm sure. :/

I don't know if they become canon in the novels but I think there's subtext at least....?

I think this may have been the intended closer for this first arc where the two surviving heroic magical girls do NOT have a form of Yuri relationship.

A yuri relationship in modern Magical girl series between leads, be it implied or pretty much loud and blatant, has become the status quo.
For good or ill Snow White and Ripple seem to have a more "professional" relationship than some sort of "girlfriends forever <3" kind even though they seem to have been in touch for some time after the events.

Short of reading material that continues the series, the audience doesn't know where SW and Ripples relationship goes, but it likely has something to do with getting back at the enigmatic magical society in some form be it by simply "playing hero" or some other direct action.
Nanaya03

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Their relationship spoiler[ is similar to Ripple and Top Speed. Ripple sees Snow White like a sister or a daughter. Just like how Top Speed once saw her. As for Snow White, she sees Ripple as someone who shares similar experiences and consider her a friend. That's about it. Snow White will still be thinking of La Pucelle for a long time. ]

So don't worry your ship is safe.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Nanaya03 wrote:

Hehe. I think that ship sunk. Laughing Unfortunately.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Nanaya03 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Their relationship spoiler[ is similar to Ripple and Top Speed. Ripple sees Snow White like a sister or a daughter. Just like how Top Speed once saw her. As for Snow White, she sees Ripple as someone who shares similar experiences and consider her a friend. That's about it. Snow White will still be thinking of La Pucelle for a long time. ]

YAY! Good to know. ^^

Aw, that's cute about Ripple and Snow. I loved Ripple and Top Speed as like big sis/little sis so yeah, I'm good with that.

SH-SHUT UP, CAM!!

They can still be together in eternity. Crying or Very sad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
This seems like the appropriate time for me to note - unnecessarily - that La Pucelle had big breastuses. That was the main reason I mourned "her" death.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, I mean they were definitely in display in such a way that I couldn't unsee them, but the fact that La Pucelle was actually a dude was something I couldn't ignore.

La Pucelle kicked ass, was a nice guy and had guts. I was aboard that Snow White x La Pucelle ship the moment it emerged. So seeing him go definitely sucked for me too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
My memory of the earlier episodes is somewhat hazy (old age) but I have to say I don't really recall the show giving me a ton of reasons to be invested in the SW - La Pucelle relationship. Yep, he was a nice guy, had a great rack and was brave, etc. They were childhood friends, of course, but I just don't remember too many scenes of them together that were designed to make me feel all shippy and stuff.

*looks nervously over shoulder for Chiibi wielding an axe*
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
That was the main reason I mourned "her" death.

I personally dug LPs eye makeup lol that stuff looked great. LP looked more ladylike than Snow Anime hyper

As for my thoughts on the series, I can't say anything that hasn't been said. The ending did seem more like a prologue conclusion than a proper finale, but that's fine by me. Not much emotional impact there, but that's because Ripple and Snow were indeed the least interesting characters (Ruler CLEARLY being the best.) Still loced the series, despite its numerous flaws, and it very nearly took my pick for AOTY. But, even though, I very much enjoyed the series, I can't grade it any better than a B overall. Still, please give me more!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Actually, on the rare occasion I lifted my gaze, I recall noting LaPucelle's eye makeup, as well. I think we have to acknowledge that "she" was the hottest of the MGs.

DAMN YOU, CRANBERRY, DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
La Pucelle's design is amusing as it is very much the stereotypical online MMO warrior poster girl, while in comparison LP looks a little more tasteful than the usual design it still has many of the hallmarks, overly sized exposed breasts, a gear set up that exposes most of the body in place of protecting it, no form of head/face protection even though her character role would be a front line fighter.

The name also ties up to a reference to Joan of Arc, this is harkening to the nature that she would play a role against gender expectations to participate on the battle field.

As for tying this up to get the audience intrigued is of course the ship tease between Snow White and LP, such a relationship was played up for final tragedy.

Another part was that clearly displaying that a straight up "fair" fight with Cranberry was simply folly, and what better than the character that symbolizes a sort of chivalrous knight to take such a fall.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote
I can't really say I'm disappointed in a series if it never really got my hopes up, can I? The ending was so predictable to the point of being boring - Snow White's presence was absolutely useless throughout, Ripple apparently took seeing a lightning strike hit Swim Swim to remember she had actually prepared something to counter her - and then got immediately mauled -, Fav just gave us exposition that we didn't really need at this point and acted far too 'evil' (I mean, really, laughing at Snow White's expenses and taunting her was supposed to accomplish what, exactly?). Also, how the hell did it not know Ripple was alive? Unless it was the Rabbit's Foot doing, that just doesn't add up.

The story did manage to be surprising and exciting at points but this ending felt just as mediocre as the the added sum of its parts, so really it's about as much of a closer as I could expect.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
They were childhood friends, of course, but I just don't remember too many scenes of them together that were designed to make me feel all shippy and stuff.

*looks nervously over shoulder for Chiibi wielding an axe*

Well, I mean, it's just cute. Picture them watching their favorite magical girl anime together, singing to the theme song, doing the poses....

Remember Nana and his imouto from Kiss Him Not Me? Anime hyper

Anyway, it was pretty evident they really liked each other. They held hands, blushed around each other, and thought about each other a lot. Snow being there was Souta's driving force to do his best and remain what magical girls stood for....and he was her rock.

It's weird I was so much more invested in this relationship than a much longer one with lots of romance scenes (UsagixMamoru from Sailor Moon for example) That ship SHOULD have been like this. But it was just very boring.

And yeah, Lap's character design was beautiful, I agree. I wish I could make my eye shadow look that nice. Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Okay, I think that I feel a slight disappointment because it did not feel like the right conclusion to the arc. Snow White apparently had it off screen where she became a traveling hero that ignored the rules of the magical world over doing what she thought was right, and willing to put her fists up. But the important thing to me was Fav, someone had to be behind his creation, someone who should monitor him, and that person would be responsible for the utter slaughter of even more than the otherwise innocent candidates. He was presumably largely automated for the process, and that magical world people had a lot to answer for, but we only got mention of them off screen. The only way I could feel happy about this proper is if we latter saw someone facing what Fav had done, that he killed women, children, lovers and mothers. That it was allowed to happen was evidence of something wrong, especially for a process often from choosing kind candidates.

The show was shocking, it had twists that I did not always see coming, and there was entertainment value in how it always seemed to be able to divert expectations and create an interesting story. Although it also made Snow White's part not quite right, if it was supposed to be her as a symbol I don't think it was explored enough in this last episode, unless maybe it was a set up for a symbol she might become afterwards with her transformation. In general it just has you feel kind of numb in thinking if any of the deaths mattered. Yes there was revenge, but was it the answer for what Fav was? Fav was perhaps a symbol of what needed more for the appreciation for what Snow White was, and I am not sure if we had this proper at the end. Of proper role models and understanding of the needs of different people.

Everything considered I am rating the show as Very good (8/10), it is a dark magical girl anime, I like these sorts of things. In terms of general enjoyment I might put it a bit down bellow Daybreak Illusion which I would say was more thematically complete and fun, although Magical Girl Raising Project is well worth attention for a good many parts of its show. Small note is a plus for its ending song sung by Nano, the endings tended to be a sad part of the episodes (bad things happened), but I really like the ED. Just looking over the different characters and saying which ones you like is worth some time, thinking it over I think Hardgore Alice's dark goth loli was kind of my favourite.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
Just something I've been wondering, but was this anime the adaption of just the first volume of the light novels?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19