• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lostorage incited WIXOSS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
While it's no surprise Hanna was better off not remembering, I was fully expecting her LRIG to still take her over or something, or some other "winning is just as bad as losing" kind of thing. So I guess the show deserves some props for showing restraint.

Until now I'd hadn't thought of all those girls that had their wishes reversed on them. Ruko's wish at the end of Spread was only to turn all LRIGs into humans so Mayu's power should still be affecting all those who lost 3 times (outside of people who could overcome it like Hitoe, at least).
GoldenPincers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
While not said out loud, I believe that each LRIG of Gen2 represents a different feeling left behind by the Gen1 Selectors who didn't get their wishes granted or had their wishes reversed: fear, hatred, disgust, revenge.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
GoldenPincers wrote:
While not said out loud, I believe that each LRIG of Gen2 represents a different feeling left behind by the Gen1 Selectors who didn't get their wishes granted or had their wishes reversed: fear, hatred, disgust, revenge.

That's a really interesting idea! If true, I hope the show can do something cool with it, or at least make it more clear in the upcoming episodes.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
GoldenPincers wrote:

That's a really interesting idea! If true, I hope the show can do something cool with it, or at least make it more clear in the upcoming episodes.

That is really interesting, but I'm stating to get the feeling that if they do do this it will be in another season, because it feels like there is too much to get down in the last 3 episodes, so maybe they will do what the first season did and after the last episode conform another season.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
James_Beckett wrote:
GoldenPincers wrote:

That is really interesting, but I'm stating to get the feeling that if they do do this it will be in another season, because it feels like there is too much to get down in the last 3 episodes, so maybe they will do what the first season did and after the last episode conform another season.

I agree with you on the necessity of more space to develop an idea like that, though I must admit I have difficulty imagining a second season for the show. It already feels stretched a bit thin, an we still have a few episodes to go.

Maybe it'll really pick up on this final stretch, though! You never know... *fingers crossed*
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
I agree with you on the necessity of more space to develop an idea like that, though I must admit I have difficulty imagining a second season for the show. It already feels stretched a bit thin, an we still have a few episodes to go.

Maybe it'll really pick up on this final stretch, though! You never know... *fingers crossed*

Even if it doesn't, it could (somehow) be driving a big increase in card sales!
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
On-point review, as always. I honestly loved this episode, it was my favorite barring episode 2. It was relieving to see Chinatsu finally admit, yes, I f*cked up. I'm assuming that, if this is to be one season, the two girls will team up to defeat the Bookmaker and live happily ever after. But if there is to be a second season, I'm predicting that through some contrivance, Chinatsu will be erased like other Selectors,(prob through self-sacrifice) forcing Suzuko to discover the mystery behind the game to save her, thus second season conflict. Could be wrong, be I feel like this is what will happen.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
When I was filling out ANN's "Top 5 Anime of 2016" poll, Wixoss was the second show I marked down. I guess that's not too surprising considering I have multiple framed Destructed movie posters on my wall, but it just goes to show that there are going to be anime fans who remain devoted to their pet franchises despite their many visible flaws.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Was Satomi involved with this iteration of the game at all, and if not, who's behind it? What is the point of this game to begin with? None of these issues are addressed at all

That was addressed several episodes ago: No one in particular is behind it, it's the combined negative emotions of all the girls' whose wishes were reversed by Mayu's game that keeps it going. You can view it as something akin to a natural disaster: it's something that just happens. You can't stop it, you can only try to avoid it and minimize the damage. So long as WIXOSS is popular it will never end.

So within this system you can only really focus on individual stories rather than a grand plot. The main focus was Suzuko and Chinatsu, sure, but Satomi still played a big part in that and needed to be dealt with. That LRIGs instinctually desire battle and thus find no meaning in living as a human is a good angle I'd like to see more of in a potential sequel.

In the end Suzuko and Chinatsu are both free from the game, though Chinatsu gave up her memories, likely as penance for what she's done. But thankfully Suzuko is willing to start things from scratch.

While this definitely wasn't as good as the first two seasons, it's still a good character driven work. It goes above and beyond what toy commercial anime usually are.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Well my prediction was completely off. But I did like the very end, how Suzuko greeting Chinatsu paralleled their childhood. I'm worried about a 2nd season though. The main conflicts are kind of wrapped up. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I think Satomi's power was too OP, which seemed to be the cause of most of the rules for the coin betting seeming to be thrown out, as his power could do pretty much anything.

As for the show itself, I have to agree it wasn't as good as the first two seasons or even my initial impression. There is still some good stuff there but there are also significant flaws. I'll probably check out the second season but with lower expectations than this time.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
You can't stop it, you can only try to avoid it and minimize the damage. So long as WIXOSS is popular it will never end.

Not sure if you intended it, but this sentence reeks of double-meaning meta logic lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3