• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Flip Flappers (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
I thought that the clippers largely came from the fact that she did not know what was there, so the world could not replicate it. And there may be other reasons that it was a grooming tool, ranging from the level of secret for the Papika persona she was with, Or I could take it to his grooming of the, or that he has thrown out others before.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
One implication of Iroha's story is that the artistic temperament derives from pain. The Iroha tormented by her failure to keep her promise to Oba-chan is a loner who paints what looked to be disturbing canvases. The one who can now paint her nails is a popular girl who has no need or interest in painting and indeed wants to throw them all into the furnace.

That sounds plausible. I'm not sure it's right, but it's better than anything I have to offer. Not sure about the nail clippers, either, except as a possible negative comment on the fact that Iroha is painting her nails, but not a canvas.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

It became pretty clear early on that the short guy, "Pop's" was a representative of Hidaka, the beautiful world supposedly created by Pop's was a representation of the kind of wonderful workspace that Hidaka has made for himself. Although to others his workspace looks like a chaotic mess, like with Sayuri, it was only that Papika and Kokona were looking through his eyes that they could appreciate it. It could have been that some part of Sayuri was represented by the huge robot while he was kind of small, some level of feeling inferior might be taken. But he kind of uses other things to be big/confident instead, represented by the Voltron like robots.

I have not got a lot of experience with the series, but what I have seen with old Voltron was exactly like the robots shown here, all blocky and kind of silly how they can resemble retro vehicles. Looking at alternative interpretations away from it just being about Hidka is maybe anime tones especially within mecha for creators. While Hidaka's robots all looked retro Voltron like, the bad robot was all dark and kind of looked more organic, kind of like something from Evangelion, and with how Gainax this series is I think there was some meaning here. I think the episode kind of made some comments on the war between simple and somewhat silly designs of the past, and the more grim and edgy themes that have shown up later, where it is kind of like a battle between fun and being dark. That maybe Evangelion moved the mecha genre forward, but kind of left something behind, and since this is pretty much a magical girl franchise, you could maybe make it about what something like Madoka did.

It is actually a pretty rough line to tread if that is all true because Flip Flappers is essentially one of those high symbolic anime that it is kind of criticising. But that really might not be new in itself like where it criticised the yuri genre but now it seems pretty clear to be a yuri anime itself. Might be a contradiction, but thinking about it I might describe it as flip flapping, a term I am not sure of an exact definition but I think can refer to going backwards and forwards on something, where you can keep changing your stand on something because you are not entirely happy with either side. A stance that can often be criticised as "trying to have your cake and eat it too", which itself is another odd saying in English but feels like the most apt words. I think that this is what this anime, Flip Flappers" is actually trying to do it is trying to do things that look like they are trying to have it both ways, but is really saying that it is not really happy with how one thing is and is trying to express that.

Am I just saying nonsense? Because it feels like I just kind of saw something that builds a common theme with the series. It is maybe things like how Yayaka wants to get all the stones but does not actually want her friend to get hurt, she is flip flapping between both sides, not picking one. Actually joining in on shouting "Flip Flapping" is like embracing that chaos, that it is not necessarily a bad thing.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 8 felt quite a bit more gaze-y than the ones before it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Episode 8 felt quite a bit more gaze-y than the ones before it.

I noticed that too, but it could probably be explained by the fact the episode was full into Hidaka's point of view. Where he seems to be a somewhat small man who has a bit of a perv side but otherwise harmless.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
No, I think you might be on to something with respect to "Flip Flapping" as a theme, DuskyPredator. I'm not so sure about the idea that the show was criticizing the yuri genre, though. I guess you'd have to explain that one a bit more before I'd understand it. I'm also not sure either about the idea that the robot designs from the past clashing with more modern designs necessarily signified any kind of commentary, but it certainly can't be ruled out.

I like how the girls ended up in a sort of 69 position when they landed. Ha ha, reminds me of a scene in Girl's High when two girls landed on the floor in a true 69 position and their friends found them and started saying things, like, "I didn't know they were into that." Good times, good times.

(Y'all will notice my analysis is just a "tetch" less sophisticated than DuskyPredator's. Wink )

By the way, anybody have thoughts on the significance of Papika calling Cocona "Mimi"?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 07 I LOVED. HOW CUTE WAS PAPI-KUN xD

Episode 08 had me nearly bored silly. I liked the little guy though. Don't know why they were calling him "old"; white hair, okay but there was not a single wrinkle on his face. He looked just like another teen character.

Too many close shots of Cocona's ass this time. >_> Yes show, I realize you are not aimed at girls but you don't have to go and do that to confirm.

Also, I found Hidaka to be extremely annoying. He annoyed me before but moreso in this episode. I'm sure it's just the swirly glasses and the screaming.

Quote:
But that really might not be new in itself like where it criticised the yuri genre but now it seems pretty clear to be a yuri anime itself.

This show? Are you sure?
Flip Flappers doesn't feel "yuri" to me at all...outside of some subtext. They certainly don't focus on it much....
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
This show? Are you sure?
Flip Flappers doesn't feel "yuri" to me at all...outside of some subtext. They certainly don't focus on it much....

I did not think so either, but episode 7 really played up that Cocona is attracted to Papika. You yourself said that "Papi-kun was cute (the episode review forum has a picture where apparently each different Papika has a different name), well each of those Papika came from her head. My post earlier talked about how they were kind of different relationships she might put Papika into, from little sister that needs protection, up to cute boy version and finally a seductive female persona. The symbolism seemed pretty clear to me that Cocona could not just nail down the relationship she had or wanted with Papika, but maybe the realisation that she "likes" her more than just as a friend. But it was handled with the general yuri aesthetics.

And I will also repeat that I think "Pop's" is really the other side of Hidaka, like who he is in his head. You could take his screaming as representative of him seeing a threat to his beautiful city, which is his work. The kind of downside to him is that he is a bit of a pervert, as seem by the robot, which is why we saw so much of Cocona's rear end. It could be a deal breaker with his character, but he largely harmless.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
I agree that Cocona's feelings about what she wants with Papika are uncertain and could be open to the possibility of liking her that way....but for the moment, the key word is still "uncertain". Also, our own thoughts are not always about what we want....this is why we have nightmares. Anime hyper The human brain is just so weird sometimes.

Unless there's a confession or kiss later on, I'm hesitant to label Flip Flappers as "yuri". Heck, as I've said before, it hasn't really been confirmed that Papika's "love" is that kind of love.

[EDIT]

Well......it turns out I'm dead wrong. Lol. Everyone interpreting this show is interpreting it the exact same way and that can't be coincidence. I suppose I'm someone who doesn't get symbolism very well.

This show is going too far out of my comfort zone and the nail clipper joke was what pushed me to the limit. Ew.

But it sucks...because this is so well-written and well-animated. I wish it didn't have to have this theme.

Quote:
Does anyone understand why the nail-clippers were there? Is it a reference to some other anime or trope I'm unaware of? Papika under the desk reminded me of Kitarou, though it might be a more modern reference to a horror anime I've not seen.

*squirms uncomfortably*
Google "nail clippers and spoiler[ lesbians"] and you will get the answer. And it explains why that Papika was being so creepy about it.
Goddamit, these kids are fourteen.
mbanu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
I keep hoping they'll pull out from the nose-dive they've gotten themselves in after their series composition person and main scriptwriter left after episode 6. My hope hasn't been rewarded just yet. :/

Right now I'm viewing 1-6 as the show, with 7 as the bonus episode. I wonder if this will be a show where they sell it by the disc? Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
I continue to be frustrated by this show's lack of answers. I guess they will reveal in the final episode what this is all about? Maybe? Chances are I'll be too pissed off to care by that time.

My suspicion is that "Cocona" is in a coma and that everything we've been watching has been what she is dreaming. She might even be Iroha, I dunno. It's not like the show is actually interested in giving information, so who knows?

Actually, I just went back and read the summary description of the show. I hadn't realized the crystals the girls are looking for were called "Shards of Mimi." The shards may be bits of memory? And when they are collected, Mimi (Cocona) will wake up?
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode nine gave me renewed hope for Flip Flappers after eight felt so lacking in depth. I always assumed Yayaka was jealous of Papika for taking Cocona away. I thought the fight scene inside the crystal with the recollections of their childhood experiences projected all around them was quite poignant. This episode again displayed the studio's animation prowess, but it was in service to the story this time around.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm....

I seem to have a bi-polar relationship with this series. Laughing

I don't think I could stop even if I wanted to at this point.

Quote:
I thought the fight scene inside the crystal with the recollections of their childhood experiences projected all around them was quite poignant.

I liked that too. I could feel the emotion building up and then bursting out all at once as they started fighting. There was something very sad about the scene. It completely succeeded at what it was created to do.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Who is Mimi?

It looks like we got some answers, Mimi was a girl who could enter Pure Illusion, along with her friends, a child Papika, and a child Salt. This is creating some strange search for answers, that Mimi could be Cocona's mother, Cocona herself, or maybe even both. Salt has aged up, but Papika has stayed the same.

I am not sure, I might have not understood things, or I am missing, or can't tell yet, but I am thinking that this is falling a bit in the reality might kind of also be a dream, camp. Some of the parts being a little dream like in how certain areas are fanciful, has been pointed out before, but I also think that there are also real people here, they are not all just made up people. Indeed some people appear to be so, which I think is facts like how her grandmother was a robot (or something), and the twins were mentioned as being made. I am thinking that Papika has gone into a world created by Mimi that acts as a sort of buffer between other dream scapes, as well as Yayaka who is probably the blonde girl next to Papika during that one scene which we happen to not see the face of. Although technically a dream I think it might also largely be a reflection of the real world, just prettied up a bit, maybe the people put in don't age, their memories alter a little to fit them in, but people on the outside can still influence. But some of the people are still real in some sense.

The cult are the scientists who have can put influence on that world as looming figures, able to make robot people, but are using Yayaka within to try to go into deeper levels. Salt has his own ragtag team, and are fighting over power of this dream land, because once they have the fragments they will be able to have a feedback loop and affect the people more back in the not so dream world. Oh, and Coconas Mimi's attempt to create a self that could live a normal life. Actually I wonder if the things that held all the fragments were not only made up of dreams of other people but also parts of Mimi.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
LITTLE SALT WAS PRECIOUS. WHERE DO I GET ONE?

(If someone says "The spice cabinet", I'll smack you)

I KNEW IT.

I knew Mimi was her mom!

I bet Salt is Dad. I bet my entire DVD collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5