• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'your name.' Anime Film Earns 19.9 Billion Yen, Surpasses Howl's Moving Castle

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dab1za9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Adjusted for inflation? I hate how in the US at least, whenever they say something broke a record or whatever they never adjust for inflation so whenever I look it up they really hadn't done as great as media made it seem.

Wouldn't worry about inflation in Japan
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/japan/inflation-cpi
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
What did the movie even cost? $20million, tops?
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I hope this doesn't end up like the freaking GuP movie where they just keep extending it and extending it and extending it until its theater run becomes a useless comparison to anything else because it has been in theaters for over a year.

Why is it a useless comparison if people keep buying tickets? Which they did with the Girls und Panzer movie.
I would think that the distributor of any movie would want to keep it in theaters as long as people are paying to watch it.

Especially since the other top movies on the list also benefited from repeat ticket sales to the same people over and over again. I know that Titanic and Frozen both did excellent repeat sales to women in Japan.
Dab1za9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Their original target was 2 billion yen($17.5 million) so about that since they said they were losing money if it made less than that.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I hope this doesn't end up like the freaking GuP movie where they just keep extending it and extending it and extending it until its theater run becomes a useless comparison to anything else because it has been in theaters for over a year.

Why is it a useless comparison if people keep buying tickets? Which they did with the Girls und Panzer movie.
I would think that the distributor of any movie would want to keep it in theaters as long as people are paying to watch it.

Because all of its close competition did have a paying audience that would have kept going, they just didn't have 54 weeks to make it to the theater. They had 40 weeks less than that in the case of Rebellion! Saying, "GuP did so well in theaters and beat Rebellion and got so close to Love Live!" When its competition was in theaters for 14 weeks or 29 weeks(still a bit long), it's not really a useful comparison anymore. Those films would have probably maintained their audience better than GuP, which puttered around for its last 30+ weeks and just slightly bested Rebellion even so.

Dab1za9 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Their original target was 2 billion yen($17.5 million) so about that since they said they were losing money if it made less than that.

Really? I thought I read in an interview with the producer that they kept the cost quite low, roughly around the cost of his other films, which were around $3-$5 million USD. $17.5 million is a pretty large budget for an anime film outside of Ghibli.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Adjusted for inflation? I hate how in the US at least, whenever they say something broke a record or whatever they never adjust for inflation so whenever I look it up they really hadn't done as great as media made it seem.

There is no inflation in Japan though. Over the past 30 years prices have been very stable there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2