• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Girl Raising Project

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
8lacKy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and the writing has managed to recapture that vital feeling of unpredictability

.. What? I mean, I don't hate the show, but this is a statement that makes me wonder if this review is about the same episode I watched. This show got no feeling of unpredictability whatsoever~ Every episode does the same exact thing: give us the background of a character first and then kill said character. Done. Repeat that for like.. around 7 times?- and you've reached the newest episode. I kinda still enjoy watching this show, but calling it 'unpredictable' is like saying that Qualidea Code was sakuga at its finest. o_o The way how she was able to be killed was interesting to watch, but the fact that she's going to die was already crystal-clear after watching for 10 seconds.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I think what Paul is referring to is that the brief moment of bonding (sort of) between Alice and Snow White lead him to believe we might get to see a bit more of their relationship. My heart sank at the beginning when I realized we were seeing Alice in her RL setting since these flashbacks are death flags, as you note. But even I thought that the rabbit's foot might buy Alice a bit of a chance, but it turns out that the only thing it accomplished was to get Snow White to her side (I think the rabbit's foot is responsible for that, but I'm just guessing) before she died so that at least she could convey her final message.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the sound design for Alice's death where the sound of the rain is muted until Alive dies, at which point it immediately comes back in full force.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
the highlight of this episode for me is how sad I felt when doggie got her arm hurt
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
the highlight of this episode for me is how sad I felt when doggie got her arm hurt

This, and how happy I felt when Alive Twin joined up the Dead Twins team, finally. How unceremonious it was for Cranberry was great - just ripping this rock's heart for a sec, don't mind me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I felt bad about that, too. Oh, Tama. If only you hadn't fallen in with the wrong crowd. I would love a "healing" show where Tama, Snow White, Hardgore Alice, Winterprison, Sister Nana, Ripple, Top Speed, La Pucelle and Nemurin were just ordinary magical girls doing good deeds and earning Candies and nobody was getting killed or hurt. The main conflict would come from Ripple's tsundere-ness which everybody recognizes is just a front. I would watch that show.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Yet Swim Swim still wants to use her in a pincer attack. Hopefully Cranberry will focus on Swim Swim and Tama won't bite it like Minael.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
well doggie is safe since she has nto gotten her backstory out yet; on the other hand ripple is pretty strong since she has survived quite a bunch of episodes after her abckstory was revealed.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

This, and how happy I felt when Alive Twin joined up the Dead Twins team, finally. How unceremonious it was for Cranberry was great - just ripping this rock's heart for a sec, don't mind me.

If I may say so, the background scene was enough ceremony, since it displayed their past in a positive light. I mean let us not forget who the real vilians are.

Well... I may be alone here, but instead of celebrating the twins' death, I feel more like I'll celebrate Fav's and Cramberry's death with fireworks. They're the ones who started this whole war. I mean, Sister Nana, Snow White & co. were the ones who were right trying peace (with reservations, of course, as Weiss Winterprison and Hardgore Alice would prove, rightfully so). But as backgrounds seem to prove, most of them didn't seem to want war & death when they first joined the game, even though some had dodgy personalities. The one whom I have doubts regarding having any remaining goodness, kindness or anything of that sort left is Calamity Mary, though.

I mean, you can almost compare this to what wars are or do to people. It's one mass tragedy regardless.

Or one can think of Gen Urobuchi's penned Concrete Revolutio episode, or The Fruit of Grisaia's Angelic Howl arc.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
Your right about the real villains, but the twins are just as bad, along with Swim Swim's group. There was no excuse for what they did, though they had a good (evil) teacher.
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
Only just now watched episode 10. A bit surprised at the first death in the episode - thought she would last much longer. And it was sweet how she was starting to bond.

What I found a bit more surprising was, at least from how I interpret it, Cranberry being admin rather than participant, and that is why fav is following her. Cranberry convinced fav that her method would produce better candidates than the standard plan, a prior run might have proved it, and now it is fully assisting her. The magical kingdom recruitment is apparently sincere, but Cranberry and fav are fudging the reports sent back to hide what they are really doing. Probably why fav uses terminology sounding like a person has willingly removed themselves from the game whenever someone dies. Of course, that brings to mind the question on how many recruited girls they need to send back when all is said and done, and how they plan to avoid any issues when that occurs.

That also explains the ears and never detransforming, even in what should be "safe" territory. Cranberry isn't human, she's a magical girl/being from magic land. Or to put it another way - I think she really is an elf, enjoying how the primitive people are jumping through her hoops.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Well that was a bit of a surprise.

spoiler[Not sure it was a particularly good episode, but it wasn't really bad, either. Tama off'ing Cranberry was a really unusual choice - definitely mixing up the generic formula there.]
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest, two of my favorite moments from this ep aren't even related to the death game specifically.

The first involves the flashback with Ruler teaching Tama about kanji, showing that Ruler, while strict with her subordinates and harsh when they screwed up, did care for them in her own way and was willing to help them out on certain matters. She was a lot nicer than she pretended to be. Also the whole moment was just very adorable.

The second moment was Fav instructing Swim-Swim on how a "Master" should be, with Swim-Swim not showing any real interest or understanding, having to work on her homework instead. It really does an excellent job of reminding us that, as smart as she is, she really does have the mindset of a child. And just the idea of Fav getting shut down by a nine year old is funny. Fav's response being to backstab her really shows how petty he can be.

I also like Swim-Swim's reaction to her murder of Tama. Every one of her actions has been dictated by her desire to emulate Ruler and follow her philosophies. Her failure to do that, in her mind, forced her to kill probably the only person she seemed to even be slightly affectionate with. It also shows that Swim-Swim really doesn't understand some of Ruler's philosophies, and even Ruler herself, as much as she might think. When Ruler says "Don't let anyone find out your real identity", I highly doubt she meant "Kill anyone who finds out, even your own allies".
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
James wrote:
For all of Swim Swim's underhanded tactics, it's hard to completely condemn a character so young for trying to live up to the legacy of her mentor

I find that pretty easy when all it means is killing other people

James wrote:
but there's some truth behind Snow White's claim that killing her after the game is "over" qualifies as murder

It was murder before too.

Don't be a Swim Swim apologist, James.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
It's not a matter of being a Swim Swim apologist. I deplore the things she has done as well, but you can lay them all at F'av's ... feet? And Ruler, too. But mostly F'av. He knew what he was doing when he made his offers to the original 16 girls to become Magical Girls. He knew Swim Swim was not an ordinary child and must be delighted that she has turned out the way she has. Ruler had no idea what she was setting in motion when she was espousing her leadership notions. That whole situation is a tragedy from start to finish.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 17