• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Izetta: The Last Witch

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm probably doing my usual skylarking, but did the statue of the White Witch seem like she was missing something in her right hand?

Well, I got one thing right. Smile

@ meiam: They didn't notice the ruby because it was sealed away behind the fresco. Of course that doesn't explain why Izetta didn't set it off, when her blood in a bottle did (I presume that's her blood, drawn from when she was in the capsule). Skin is a more potent container than glass? It also doesn't explain why they needed the little clone witch to slurp on Izetta to active her or whatever, if they already had her blood.

I won't belabor the complaints everyone else has made about castle security and masquerade shenanigans, except to say I share them. As for why the competent sniper was incompetent enough to not watch the body until it could be recovered, she was probably lost in thoughts of cherry pie.

Gah, Izetta's veil is nice, but raccoon masks and anime eyes are not cute, they're terrifying (unless you're a tanuki). That thumbnail gives me ptsd. Shocked
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It also doesn't explain why they needed the little clone witch to slurp on Izetta to active her or whatever, if they already had her blood.

Oh I assumed she poisoned Izetta somehow, it did not even occur to me that they would actually need her blood because, like you said, that would make absolutely no sense. If it is the case then, wow I'd be embarrassed being the writer! Laughing
Darthtabby

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people seem to feel there was supposed to be a budding romance between Bianca and Rickert this episode. I guess I can see where they're coming from. But personally the scene where they're discussing the white witch legend gave me the impression Bianca is in love with Fine. She says "I love the ending, where she keeps protecting the country for the person she loves even though they’ll never be together. I think that’s what real love is." While blushing.

(Also back in episode six Elvira got Bianca to change her mind about playing a man for Izetta's dance practice by saying "I guess I'll have to call Hans or Sieg instead. I was thinking of having the man dance with archduchess Fine to show how its done." At the time it seemed like it was just a bit of throwaway comedy, but in light of that line from the scene at the Inn...)
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
But that doesn't explain the blushing from him walking on her naked, nor his last line on the roof.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Ok. ok.

I have long since given up on taking this show seriously.

-Closest loyal bodyguards to the archduchess just pick up random strangers for no reason, and then shares a hotel with him.

-The all-important underground tunnels and chambers weren't destroyed

-two random guys can just walk into said all-important tunnels undetected

-that white witch kiss. All of it. WTF?

-the snipers can spot the spy to shoot him but can't notice another man taking things out of his pocket

This entire show has become a case of plot convenience.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
If everyone's praising this episode and it ended up being the one I liked the least from the show so far, I think it's time for me to bail. The whole Spy x Bianca thing was atrocious, as was Fine and Izetta just ignoring someone who comes up to them, bites one of them, passes out, knows who you are, and then up and leaves. Yeah, that's normal, I suppose, off to a meeting - no, let's not let anyone know that some people we didn't count on have possibly figured out the point of this party, why would we do that? Just ruin the mood like that.

Then by all means, bail. Frankly, I've never understood the attraction in continuing to watch series that are continually disappointing or frustrating. Me, I just drop 'em unless it's something I'm reviewing.

As to Finé not recognizing Berkman, in addition to him never naming himself or explaining who he was, the lighting was also bad in both that scene and this one. Besides, even in good lighting I wouldn't necessarily remember the face of someone I've only seen once, and then only under a high-stress condition. As for her and Izetta not being recognized at the party, I'll admit that's more of a stretch, but let's also remember that video and TV didn't exist at that time the way it does today. Yes, their pictures would have been in the the news, but it's not so unbelievable that they wouldn't be recognized, especially in atypical clothing for both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Oh I assumed she poisoned Izetta somehow, it did not even occur to me that they would actually need her blood because, like you said, that would make absolutely no sense. If it is the case then, wow I'd be embarrassed being the writer! Laughing

Well, judging by her eyes, something happened to little white witch after she swallowed the blood she sucked, so I assumed she got charged up by more than kissing her.

killjoy_the wrote:
But that doesn't explain the blushing from him walking on her naked

Does it need any? oO If you walked in on me taking a bath, I'd turn 40 shades of red, and I promise I have no romantic feelings toward you.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Still too early to assume that guy was dead. I mean, he could be escaped death. Remember that he found the stone inside castle? He put it in left chest pocket which is near part he was shot. The stone could do something magical since it is related to Witch. It would be funny if they somehow fail to explain what that stone or gem can do.

Btw the scene where Fine and Izetta after met Witch clone I was like, WTF? They gonna pretend nothing happened? Whats wrong with this anime? This become downhill since Jonas overheard Izetta secret.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Still too early to assume that guy was dead. I mean, he could be escaped death. Remember that he found the stone inside castle? He put it in left chest pocket which is near part he was shot. The stone could do something magical since it is related to Witch. It would be funny if they somehow fail to explain what that stone or gem can do.

I thought he gave the stone to the other spy, though.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

I thought he gave the stone to the other spy, though.

Oh, silly me.
I thought he give camera along with film. I completely missed that.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:

Btw the scene where Fine and Izetta after met Witch clone I was like, WTF? They gonna pretend nothing happened? Whats wrong with this anime? This become downhill since Jonas overheard Izetta secret.

spoiler: this is how the show has always supossed to be, people just put it on a higher pedestal for reasons. when Iw atch this show, it's like I am watchign ymhime or code geass, never expected anything more and so far it has been delivering.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:

Finé and Izetta didn't pretend like nothing happened, so I don't know where you're getting that from.

Now, if that's not brought up in an upcoming episode as a concern then you will have a legitimate complaint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Finé and Izetta didn't pretend like nothing happened, so I don't know where you're getting that from.

Now, if that's not brought up in an upcoming episode as a concern then you will have a legitimate complaint.

Redford asking what just bothered them but Fine just answer him "nothing". If Fine really concerned about someone knows about Izetta, she could bring that matter right now or in meeting but nope.

And of course we know it will reveal later in future episode that Fine remember what happened before, betting on "how can you/she have that witch power?" scene and she maybe talk about it beforehand but its kinda silly considering real life situation don't work like that. Its like you just meet someone who claimed he is a terrorist and just set a time bomb and you just said "nothing"? I dont know if that was really normal but I prefer her to act quickly rather than delaying it.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy
spoiler[ Shits happened.
Izetta is not even remember the girl from that night. Sieg got something hidden but not plan to use it?
]

Also, just found out Izetta's script writer was the one who did Guilty Crown. Oh god, that anime is so bad I swear I wont watch it again. If Izetta is going to be trainwreck again, I gonna avoid watch anything written by this guy in future.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed episode 9 - things are looking pretty bleak for Our Heroes! Looking forward to see what happens next week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 18