• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Galan's an annoying butt, he needs to be destroyed now.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:17 am Reply with quote
Hoooooo boy. Bring on the water works. T___T
Not that we couldn't see this outcome from a mile away, but that doesn't make it any less emotional.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
as expected of okada now waiting for atra to go next.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, spoiler[the latest episode granted me my wish, but we've lost Aston too. Damn it. At least Takaki got some revenge out of it].
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This episode is also a wake-up call for Hush Middy, who I've previously hypothesized is a Kamille character, perhaps destined to replace Mikazuki as the most reliable pilot of the show.

I've been thinking about this for a while now that perhaps IBO might have another season(or a movie like 00) after this one wraps up with Hush replacing Mikazuki as the MC. I mean they've been hinting it real hard in the opening that he'll eventually lose control over most of his body so I expect him to die in the end of this season.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
This is unquestionably one of the best Gundam TV series to date. You know they've done right when you dread the Gundam combat because you know someone's probably not going to make it. My only problem isn't even with the show, but with the subtitles at least on Hulu. Apparently it's perfectly okay to show little boys getting shot in the head and crushed to death as long as no one uses any profanity.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
My only problem isn't even with the show, but with the subtitles at least on Hulu. Apparently it's perfectly okay to show little boys getting shot in the head and crushed to death as long as no one uses any profanity.

So rather than translation accuracy, what is important to you in subtitles is that they throw in gratuitous profanity?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
This is unquestionably one of the best Gundam TV series to date. You know they've done right when you dread the Gundam combat because you know someone's probably not going to make it. My only problem isn't even with the show, but with the subtitles at least on Hulu. Apparently it's perfectly okay to show little boys getting shot in the head and crushed to death as long as no one uses any profanity.

I don't remember any scenes that had lines that would be better translated with English profanity. But if you're thinking that some of the lines are only properly translated as profanities, that doesn't seem to be the case, per a Answerman column from last month. Actually almost all such phrases can be used in kid's shows.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Meh this really didn't do anything for me, the death was so telegraphed and happened to a minor character whose sole existence seems to be getting killed, at least Biscuit had a role in the show other than "guy whose obviously getting killed". And the entire event is still unexplained. Was that war even official (ie do people outside of the soldier know it happened?), is the peace between the economic block broken for good now? What are the effect on the wide world? Who's taking the decision now that Makanai is KO?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Meh this really didn't do anything for me, the death was so telegraphed and happened to a minor character whose sole existence seems to be getting killed, at least Biscuit had a role in the show other than "guy whose obviously getting killed". And the entire event is still unexplained. Was that war even official (ie do people outside of the soldier know it happened?), is the peace between the economic block broken for good now? What are the effect on the wide world? Who's taking the decision now that Makanai is KO?

Considering the main branch of Tekkadan went through the SAU, i.e. the side that the Earth Branch was fighting, they are probably at peace for now. Considering they referred to it as a nameless war, it probably is not official and would be written off as border skirmishes in the history books. Makanai's deputy in the legistature will probably take over decision making while he is incapacitated, as in any democracy, common to the point that that need not be explicitly stated. As for the broader questions, those aren't things that would or even should be answered in one episode. Patience.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Considering the main branch of Tekkadan went through the SAU, i.e. the side that the Earth Branch was fighting, they are probably at peace for now. Considering they referred to it as a nameless war, it probably is not official and would be written off as border skirmishes in the history books. Makanai's deputy in the legistature will probably take point that that need not be explicitly stated. As for the broader questions, those aren't things that would or even should be answered in one episode. Patience.

Well Tekkadan is independent, so them going to SAU doesn't really indicate anything. It being nameless doesn't means its going to be ignored, and I don't know of many border skirmish that are just ignored, these things tend to escalate, not the other way around. Whose calling the shoot in place of Makanai is important because a large part of the plot of S1 was about getting Makanai to be elected, in place of other people (can't remember who now) are these people the one calling the shoot now?

Overall my point is the last 3 episodes moved at such a sluggish pace and yet we've learned almost nothing about what's going on, I can do patience, but 3 episodes later I do expect some answer.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
^Most countries don't let armed groups cross their border with a country that is at war with them, so letting them through suggests they aren't really at war as far as they are concerned. And they aren't really independent given they have been working with Arbrau and helped install the current government.

On the pertinence of Makanai's stand-in, if Arbrau is like any other parliamentary democracy, people didn't vote for Makanai per se, but rather his party, which I assume is like minded. And if he isn't stupid Makanai would appoint a deputy that will abide by his wishes while he is incapacitated, especially if his absence isn't long. And I don't know if he was his deputy, but another person from his party that Tekkadan worked with seemed amenable to them and Makanai's plans for them so I doubt he would muss things up between them and Tekkadan. It could be pertinent if Makanai's absence is long, but that is an issue for later episodes.

Border skirmishes do often escalate, but if they don't, they are just written off as such. Now it could lead to issues between the blocs, but we won't see that until later, at the very least next episode.

And on the nonofficialness of war, even in real life, things are not so cut and dry. Just look at Russia's involvement in the civil war in Ukraine or America's drone war. Are they at war with the countries the conflicts are in? Maybe, maybe not, but in both cases, not officially (aside from Afghanistan and Iraq in the latter case but even there it is a little fuzzy). Especially in the latter case, there are not clear answers. And I think if the SAU and Arbrau want to make up, they will not make it clear and will just sweep it under the rug.

So far I haven't seen anything that needed to be answered immediately that was to the detriment of the show.
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
The look despair Galan must have felt when his sneaky axe-swing bounced off something much, much bigger - Gundam Garden Shears - was palpable. Also, those Man Rodis slippin' and sliddin' around the battlefield was super well animated for a show that doesn't often give us a ton of sakuga moments.

What a great episode!
GarethXL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
OMG so much info dump in 1 ep.

lets see...
spoiler[
- so the AV system can be transplant? or that it's even possible to transplant ones conscious through the AV system??

- GUNDAM BAAL!!

- so could our chocolate man be the lost heir to the founder of gjallarhorn and is ploting to take back power to those that betray his ancestor after the war?

- would takakicome back later to aid tekkadan as a proxy for biscuit in future ep?

- character growth, so much character growth.

- lafkihiro

- is tekkadan being played by be presented with so much power??

- shits getting real]

after 3 mediocre directed ep. its nice to see the series getting back on track with this ep. can't wait for the next ep.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if you mentioned it but this episode confirmed chocochar was probably molested as a child by Iznario (look at his neck when he's reading the book). His father was also shown with another blond little kid in season 1 too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 47