• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Girl Raising Project

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I don't think they wait for that. There was a distinctly menacing vibe from the scene were Sister Nana and Winterprison were approaching the Stooges lair. I think the fighting not fair will come in the form of a sneak attack. After all, Sister Nana is assuming this is going to be a friendly meeting (I think). It probably also means taking trying to take advantage of Sister Nana's naivete.

Argh, come next Saturday, you can't come soon enough! This is one of those titles I wish I hadn't discovered until after its run so I could just marathon it.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I don't really see them changing things up with their backstory=death formula as a bad or eyeroll worthy thing.

The eyeroll was aimed at everyone who kept saying the show telegraphed who was gonna die by giving them backstories.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
The only good thing about watching this show as it comes out is the discussion. I don't normally binge watch anything, but this one makes me understand Netflix's policy.
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I don't think it's Ripple's time yet. From what I remember the PV's and opening showed her and Snow White in almost some of the same shots, usually that indicates there is some connection between. There was even that scene a few episodes ago when they on passing trains. I could always be wrong, but I feel like those two are probably going to be working together in the future. Most likely when/if spoiler[Top Speed] dies. She seems like the next one on the chopping block to me since she is the one somewhat pushing for Ripple to meet with Calamity Mary. spoiler[Every time she mentions that she has to live for just six more months her death flag grows bigger. I'm expecting her to die protecting Ripple or something.]
I think it might actually be the other way around: Ripple finds out why those six months are so important to Top Speed and dies to protect her. As badly as she dances around the subject we're going to find out at a critical juncture, at any rate.
Blood- wrote:
Oh, I don't think they wait for that. There was a distinctly menacing vibe from the scene were Sister Nana and Winterprison were approaching the Stooges lair. I think the fighting not fair will come in the form of a sneak attack. After all, Sister Nana is assuming this is going to be a friendly meeting (I think). It probably also means taking trying to take advantage of Sister Nana's naivete.
Swim Swim doesn't look like she's getting ready to attack(in fact, it looks more like she's ready to retreat). That definitely fits with the idea of her giving the order for a trap, though why she's not greeting them face-to-face as bait is yet to be explained. I'm willing to guess they haven't figured out she betrayed Ruler the way she did(the Candies went through F.av after all), so they wouldn't be expecting a knife in the back.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
I don't really see them changing things up with their backstory=death formula as a bad or eyeroll worthy thing.

The eyeroll was aimed at everyone who kept saying the show telegraphed who was gonna die by giving them backstories.

Ah I see. I misjudged where that was aimed at. My bad

@Polycell given how the six months Top Speed is going on about is likely due to spoiler[terminal illness, I don't see why anyone would sacrifice their life to prevent her from dying slightly earlier than she would have. ] Ripple has barely ever shown any interest in helping even Top Speed so I doubt she would sacrifice herself. Top Speed saving Ripple seems more plausible and makes for better character development than the other way around.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Why might it be terminal illness? Others have suggested it's about bringing her child to term, which is pretty plausible if you ask me(especially given the way the magical girl system in this show works).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
It could be either one as far as we know I guess. Though I believe either Ripple or Top Speed won't make it out of the meeting with Calamity Mary, and unless Top Speed reveals her pregnancy on the way, she won't be able to convey why she needs to live six more months so that Ripple feels she must sacrifice herself. Since she hasn't revealed a pregnancy yet, I doubt she will now and Ripple isn't the type to poke around people's personal life. We'll see and I won't mind being wrong if it is done well.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
I mean, with how vague she's being about this, it could be literally anything. Maybe her favorite manga ends in 6 months and she wants to read it before dying, for all we know.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking that six months is about how long she thinks she can pull off the practical joke on Ripple. There's actually nothing significant at that time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
I agree that this dance of the seven veils around Top Speed's need for six more months is getting irritating. Either put up or shut up.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I mean, with how vague she's being about this, it could be literally anything. Maybe her favorite manga ends in 6 months and she wants to read it before dying, for all we know.

the latest episode reveals that the 6months is the amount of time she's waiting fso berserk ends, at one chapter per week it would be 26 chapters and berserk will be over.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Out of all the episodes of series I've watched this week Magical Girl Raising Project really stuck out for me sure a lot fo the deaths seem obvious and it can feel like "grim dark" overload. But I'm thankfully I was able to feel honest emotion toward the deaths of the characters that did die and actually look forward to next week even if it may hurt emotionally.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:48 am Reply with quote
They really seem to be in a hurry to kill characters off now, but i agree with the review that the deaths somehow lack emotional impact. Now that they've made Calamity Mary almsot comically evil (she's an alcoholic! and a child abuser!! Rolling Eyes ) i expect a showdown between her and the perfect housewife Top Speed in the next episode...

Btw, does the "who collects the least amount of candy rule dies" stil stand? It doesn't seem like anyone still has time to collect candy since they are all so busy with killing and trying not to be killed...it would be a nice ending if they all somehow managed to survive a week, but then drop dead beacuse of lack of candy. Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
I certainly felt the impact of Winterprison's death because I liked her character and her relationship with Sister Nana. Also, I'm not sure why Calamity Mary has been made "almost comically" evil because we find out she's an alcoholic AND a child abuser. Of course not all alcoholic parents are physically abusive to their children but there's not exactly an incongruity when it does happen. I still find her way more interesting a villain than Cranberry who kills just out of a love of fighting strong opponents. I smiled grimly at Pon's sales pitch to her: hey, right now you can only take your frustration on people weaker than you, become a magical girl and you can dramatically widen your circle of victims! It's interesting that initially Calamity Mary did remain in a sort of moral grey zone as the review notes. To a certain extent, she's been pushed into her current attitude by the death of Magicloid44 (not because she necessarily had any genuine affection for her, but because somebody had the temerity to off one of her henchmen) and by Pon's incitement ("Okay, I''ll play your game.")

Not looking forward to next week. Top Speed has the stench of death all over her.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Also, I'm not sure why Calamity Mary has been made "almost comically" evil because we find out she's an alcoholic AND a child abuser. Of course not all alcoholic parents are physically abusive to their children but there's not exactly an incongruity when it does happen.

True, they could have made her an alcoholic AND a child abuser AND a crazy murderer who likes to shoot innocent people...good thing, the show prefers to rely on subtlety instead. Wink
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
I mean, you have Fa­v saying "yo, you're terrible, wanna be terrible and powerful?", and then she starts cackling maniacally... that's just kind of awful. I'll take 'calm but awful because she wants to kill strong people' Bard over this any time, even if I don't like both.

Also, it felt incredibly satisfying for Winterprison to take out one of the twins. I hope the other one's next. Nana, on the other hand, has done bugger all for how long now? You'd think seeing your loved one get stabbed would be your cue to up her powers, but I guess not.

I also thought it was almost cute how the show kept not letting us see Top Speed's stomach, like they're actually trying to make a pregnancy a surprise. I'd be surprised if she wasn't pregnant, at this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 17