• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Movies That Need Licenses ASAP

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Funimation announce the Steins;Gate movie was finally coming out early next year?

Anyway, two other Anime movies I believe should be licensed include Magical Witch Sisters Yoyo and Nene and Magic Tree House, both of which are sincerely charming family fantasy adventures. I'm a bit surprised that we hadn't gotten Yoyo and Nene since it's an UFOtable movie, and I'm especially surprised that there has never even been a UK release for Magic Tree House (they have Gonzo's Brave Story while we still don't), since all the children characters are distinctively English-language people (not all are blue-eyed blondes, and there's even a couple of black kids mixed in the classroom scenes!). Heck, it would've been nice if the Japanese blu-rays were some of the rare ones that came with English subs, in which case they don't. I can only hope someone shows interest in these titles at some point.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Franchise Sequels

Most of those are nowhere near the "final episode" the list implies the West is missing. Steins; Gate's was just character fanservice, and Beyound the Boundary's was just a follow-up on the elements nobody really cared about.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
A lot of the anime on the new poll, while I definitely enjoyed them, have great endings already, so a sequel would be unwarranted, in my opinion. A couple of the others I'd rather have reboots than sequels, also (and One-Punch Man already has a sequel on the way). I ended up choosing Psycho-Pass, Death Parade and Mob Psycho 100, as I found those the most deserving of a sequel and the ones with a world and story best suited to having a sequel.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
One of my top picks for an anime license in NA would be for Asura, which I saw at the (sadly, now defunct) Waterloo Animated Film Festival in 2012. Here's the ANN Encyclopedia summary:

Quote:
In a mid-15th century Kyoto ravaged by successive waves of floods, drought, and famine, Asura was left to fend for himself in the wilderness as an infant and grew up into an axe-wielding child surviving on both animal and human flesh. Asura's life took a turn when he became acquainted with Wakasa, a young village girl who taught Asura words and drew out semblances of empathy from within him. Yet Asura's peaceful moments with Wakasa would not last long, as famine began to take its toll on Wakasa's village.

As you can probably tell from that thumbnail sketch, this ain't a light-hearted yuk-fest. It is incredibly well done and emotionally powerful, however. I'd love to own a copy and clearly there is already an English sub version out there. Not sure who would ever pick it up though. It's the kind of (mostly) downer fare that publishers don't normally fall over themselves to license. Maybe Discotek/Eastern Star? Maybe through crowd-sourcing. I'm not holding my breath, though.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I would be SO excited if they animated the rest of Spice and Wolf.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:

...if they just retconned a lot of the latter part of the anime. As a novel reader and also as someone who's seen the show, it'd feel iffy to see a continuation otherwise...

There might be an anime later if he keeps writing those novels about spoiler[Laurence's and Holo's daughter Mayuri]. Hopefully.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Akatsuki no Yona and Yona of the Dawn are both listed on the poll and they're the same thing.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:

Added that one to the list myself. It's yet another casualty of the utterly-insane "let's only make an animated adaptation if it'll sell more books" business model.
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I counted at least 8 anime on that poll that already have sequels (or had one announced).
I would like to see a sequel to The Ambition of Oda Nobuna among other things.

And like others have said, Yona of the Dawn is listed twice.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
My entries for films I saw that need to be licensed are:

Accel World: Infinite Burst
Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Cadenza
Beyond the Boundary-I'll be Here-Future
Black Jack: The Two Doctors of Darkness
Cencoroll
Date Alive: Mayuri Judgement
.hack//The Movie
Kino's Journey Films
Legend of the Galactic Heroes Movies
Library War: Wings of Revolution
Lyrical Nanoha The Movie: 1st
Lyrical Nanoha The Movie: 2nd A's
Niji-Iro Hotaru (Rainbow Colored Fireflies)
Scryed Alteration Movies
Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Angel's Egg: Still needs some kind of physical distribution, but nothing yet to this day. What was the story behind this not getting a home release again? Something about who holds the original copyright to it?

Anchor Bay originally bought New World's Roger Corman catalogue, which included the "Warriors of the Wind" version of Nausicaa and the "In the Aftermath" version of Angel's Egg.
Riding the wave of fan protest over Disney at the time claiming "no more Ghibli!", Anchor claimed THEY were going to re-release a dual-language version of Nausicaa and Angel's Egg, so there, since they had the movies.

Ghibli's answer on Nausicaa was short and to the point, and that spoiled Anchor's plans for Egg as well.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Really surprised no one had put Re:Zero on the list. Had to scroll through it a couple of times to make sure I wasn't just missing it. Whatever. I'm not the biggest fan of the show, but it was good, and a continuation would make it even better, from what I've heard from readers. I want to see that happen. And not in 3 or 4 years...

Something that I've been dying to see licensed over here is Hotarubi No Mori E. That is a wonderful little movie that I am DYING TO OWN.

Other notable things. Giovanni's Island... apparently GKids has it, but they have no plans for a physical release, that I can tell.
Magical Sisters Yoyo and Nene. Apparently almost no one has seen this. Which is a shame. It's a great looking movie animated by Ufotable that is in a similar vein to Little Witch Academia. Highly recommended and something I want to buy!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Really surprised no one had put Re:Zero on the list. Had to scroll through it a couple of times to make sure I wasn't just missing it. Whatever. I'm not the biggest fan of the show, but it was good, and a continuation would make it even better, from what I've heard from readers. I want to see that happen. And not in 3 or 4 years...

There might not be enough material yet...
Suena

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Something that I've been dying to see licensed over here is Hotarubi No Mori E. That is a wonderful little movie that I am DYING TO OWN.

Same! Midorikawa has put out a lot of lovely stuff besides "Natsume," which I wish we could also get in some form.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Anchor Bay originally bought New World's Roger Corman catalogue, which included the "Warriors of the Wind" version of Nausicaa and the "In the Aftermath" version of Angel's Egg. Riding the wave of fan protest over Disney at the time claiming "no more Ghibli!", Anchor claimed THEY were going to re-release a dual-language version of Nausicaa and Angel's Egg, so there, since they had the movies.

Ghibli's answer on Nausicaa was short and to the point, and that spoiled Anchor's plans for Egg as well.

Ah I see. That's a bummer. Thanks for clarifying. So that means Anchor Bay can't do anything about it until they get the okay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5