• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Flip Flappers (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Am I asking too much?

Lol yes.

Watch them leave everything for the final episode.....I bet they will.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote
Yuri Fan wrote:
And very, very spooky! qrE3TInqs

I am now somewhat trepidatious about watching episode five. Now that I know it is going to contain horror elements, I shall have to be doubly sure to divert my eyes and ears at a moment's notice. Being easily frightened places a limit on one's sources of entertainment, alas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:32 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Yuri Fan wrote:
And very, very spooky! qrE3TInqs

I am now somewhat trepidatious about watching episode five. Now that I know it is going to contain horror elements, I shall have to be doubly sure to divert my eyes and ears at a moment's notice. Being easily frightened places a limit on one's sources of entertainment, alas.

It was disturbing. Don't watch it in the dark. Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote
The grE3TIngs was the only creepy part, and that was actually kinda cool. The rest was pretty predictable.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame this episode was just a touch too late to make Halloween, what with all the scribbled out mouths. The idea of that entire area being a giant puzzle, and the puzzle itself, felt really video game-y.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Wow, I found that to be a very emotionally powerful episode. The character of senpai finally pays off. A truly heart-breaking situation: a young girl with a difficult home life getting no encouragement meets an ex-teacher who nourishes her artistic bent, but then falls victim to Alzheimer's or dementia and forgets her. Not gonna lie, tears were shed.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Dat feeling you have when you're still confused as crap yet know you saw something extremely good. Anime hyper

For anyone who lost or is losing an elder precious to them because of conditions like this....yes, this is probably going to be hard for you to watch. Sad

(I'm glad I stuck with this show)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
I am back, after a couple weeks without internet and the most god awful time with various technical and customer support, I am ready for some escape with the show being my favourite of the season.

Episode 5

Okay, that was damn creepy. Trying to decipher it could take a really in depth analysis of reading between the lines of what everything meant. With so little about what other characters this could be from it is hard to tell the exact meaning. So far I think it showed the feeling of some girl falling into and relying on the comfort of being a close nit all girls community where a real sense of freedom is traded for being part of the group. This will be the first time I will even say it has been undeniably yuri, but it was kind of showen in a sort of creepy way. Also, alone it made me think about Yurikuma Arashi, which was largely about things like being part of "the group" (girls), yuri, and in general surreal imagery. I wonder if they would work together, or if they are actually kind of working against each other.

I do have to admit in watching the episode that there was some weird cuts that made it kind of feel like the series stalled a little bit at getting some movement forward.

Episode 6

It started again with a weird stall but the kind of turn with the doorway I think made all of the difference. I think the first thing to note was that the world the girls were in looked incredibly mundane, that it felt like an entirely different world of the world Cocona and Papika share. It was confusing but I thin that the time it set up with the glow of orange was used nicely when we had the sudden shift where Iro-Cocona who was orange was replaced by Iro-Papika who was blue, and it kind of showed us the emotional importance rather than simply narrative element to it all. The girls were in the memories of a girl called Iro, the girl was having a very hard home life, while her time with "Auntie" was a relief. It was interesting how we really got the image of how the world was shaped by the frame of mind Iro had, that she had created another her to try and take the bad things, but it was still her.

The hints were dropping that the lady was old, there was something to why had to stop being a teacher, but also that her time with Iro was also precious. It was not until she painted the picture with nail polish that I figured out that Iro was actually their senpai, Iroha, and that we were getting a window into the sort of life she had behind that generally happy smile we have seen. I actually started to cry as it became evident that "Auntie" was going to forget her, like the pieces were there that Iro had noticed them, but not what they all meant. In the end though it was somewhat happy that despite it all Iro could still help Auntie remember and it did not make those things disappear. Anime cry This was great.

One of the things I was thinking about was how Auntie kind of looked like Cocona's grandmother, and something has been kind of ringing warning bells with her grandmother from the first episode. The way she kind of acts just feels off, as does the way Cocona interacts with her. I had actually been thinking that this kind of plot that happened here might have been it, but that seems unlikely to repeat the same plot points. At the very least it kind of has felt that Cocona is overly cautious not to cause trouble for her, while her grandmother wants to do everything she can for Cocona to have a good time. It is too soon to say, but the preview actually had me thinking that next episode might involve her grandmother. I am not really basing that on anything other than the preview being narrated lady (although likely Auntie from this episode), and the images kind of made me make up the idea of spoiler[her maybe meeting her grandmother as she was in her youth]. Although I am almost certainly wrong.

Wait a moment: "Yes, it is a bit unusual. But in a good way. I think it's really creative." Was that kind of self referential as in the importance of people appreciating art of which is a basis of this show's style? And lastly, with the relative mundane setting of the past we saw, it has me wondering the idea of the world they spend most of their time in is itself a dream, that harnessing the stones that are cores of dreams they can alter the one they are in. That makes it sound like it could be the worst possible reveal of saying it was a dream all along, but from the beginning I was talking about how Papika is kind of like an imaginary friend, and there are other curious things.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
@ DP - you may be on to something, there. I too was struck by the similarity between "Auntie" and Cocono's wheelchair bound Grandmother. The fact that Cocona and Papika both played the "role" of Iroha in that dream/memory makes me wonder if those two are different sides of Iroha herself. Papika represents the wild, uninhibited side of her and Cocona the more reserved, conventional side.

I wonder if Iroha is in a coma or something and these experiences are a way for her to work out things that were going on in her life? If Cocona and Papika were truly independent agents, how were they able to get access to Iroha's memories? Hmmm.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
Some people have speculated that Cocona and Papika are not separate people at all, but two sides of someone's personality. Before this episode I thought Cocona was a real-life person and Papika her alter-ego, but now I'm left wondering whether they are both parts of Iro's mind. I rather doubt that since Iro's story is resolved at the end of episode six. But whether Papika is a real person remains, for me at least, an open question. For one thing, has anyone other than Cocona and Yayaka and her crew actually seen or interacted with Papika outside of Pure Illusion?

There is so much complexity in this story that I'm about to rewatch all the episodes again. Flip Flappers is certainly the most cerebral anime series I've watched in quite some time.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Before this episode I thought Cocona was a real-life person and Papika her alter-ego, but now I'm left wondering whether they are both parts of Iro's mind.

Besides this episode, I can think of at least one more major point in favor of this interpretation: The large painting hung up on one of the school walls, where Iro is first met by the main characters, is of the first section of Pure Illusion that Cocona and Papika travel to.

However, this also fits with an interpretation that Pure Illusion is set of worlds created by collective unconsciousness. It would make sense for artists to have doorways into said world and it would also make sense that those who could travel these worlds directly could then use them. So, I suppose this episode really doesn't narrow things down much.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
For one thing, has anyone other than Cocona and Yayaka and her crew actually seen or interacted with Papika outside of Pure Illusion?

I think so, in the second episode. Papika enrolls and she's introduced to class, I think?

What I took from this episode was that they either messed up actual time continuity - thereby 'erasing' Iro's regret over having failed dear Auntie, making her now be able to polish her nails and not feel guilty about it - or intruded in actual memories rather than just the collective consciousness-created worlds they wandered in most of the time - to pretty much the same effect. The way Salt looked, it seemed like this is either what he wanted all along, or an interesting side-effect to his quest to get all the McGuffins.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

By the time we got to the scene where Cocona finds a weird version of Papika hiding under a desk in an A/V room and opens a drawer to find it empty except for a pair of nail clippers, I was wondering if David Lynch had guest-directed the episode.

I found this episode to be a let down after the great one last week. I was disappointed that Cocona and Papika didn't have more of an interaction with Iroha considering the magnitude of what happened in episode 6.

I hope we don't spend too much more time in this particular iteration of Pure Ilusion. I find it offputting.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I think a lack of interaction between Cocona and Iroha is pretty much a part of the episode. It indeed looks like what they did had some sort of side effect, Iroha is acting different than what they knew her as. The concern on Cocona's part was that her influencing someone is bad, changing who she is, Cocona wants to turn her back, but the idea to do so could be just causing further mistakes. Before going into the rest of the episode I actually want to bring up whether it is even a mistake. Indeed it seems sad that Iroha would suddenly care little for a number of her paintings, and it kind of hitting Cocona who probably felt like her senpai who liked paintings meant something to her. But it really may be no business of Cocona to decide that. Iroha is herself a teenager, if it is middle school that could just be 14 or 15 years old, it can totally be up to the person themselves what they want to be, even if they are being influenced by various sources around them.

Cocona was kind of whishing for a frictionless world, a world that people won't.... I guess influence other people. Although even as far as that wish went I think that she clearly has a current exception to that rule with Papika. And I would say that the take away is that she does not even know what role she wants Papika to have. A little sister who can look up to her and fuss over each other. A playful troublemaker willing to ignore the rules for fun. A creepy girl that they can both indulge their curiosity. A pretty/classy girl who can help her work through frustrations and I would say femininity. A rough delinquent where they can try and fix each other and muck around. A pretty boy who can make her heart race a bit. Or a seductive girl who can devilishly ask what she really wants.

Cocona did kind of work it through that a world where no one effects another is no fun, but her current person strongly connected to that thought is just kind of a mystery. Noted is that a number of them are specifically romantic/sexual, and with the episode a couple weeks ago which was somewhat a comment on an unchanging nature of yuri stories, I do think that this has become a fairly key part. But I want that Flip Flappers is taking steps to say that this is more than "just a yuri show", and I think it comes down to really the makers not being fond of the endless repeat of the genre, and also that Papika is more than a romantic interest of Cocona. A real partner should be more than one thing, all the variations of Papika were various clichés that were kind of having a two-dimensional relationship with Cocona. Cocona herself seems under the influence of "normal" expectations that girl and girl is not right, if indeed Cocona is attracted to other girls, it really may not have been something she has actively been confronted with.

And after all, Cocona is young, she really has not figured herself out, and this itself goes back into what we saw with Iroha suddenly changing, and the series being a journey of Cocona in general. And although I say it is because she is young, age is probably not even a boundary of shaking up things to try and get a better understanding of who you are and what is right for you. You are going to make mistakes, and maybe people could be effected in a way you are not comfortable with, but that is life, people are meant to messily bump into each other. And I also want to comment that Papika showing up in her pipe being like a spaceship, I think means that Papika as the messy person she is, is far more fantastic than any one of those archetypes Cocona came across.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quote
One implication of Iroha's story is that the artistic temperament derives from pain. The Iroha tormented by her failure to keep her promise to Oba-chan is a loner who paints what looked to be disturbing canvases. The one who can now paint her nails is a popular girl who has no need or interest in painting and indeed wants to throw them all into the furnace.

I suspect everyone involved in Project FliFla thinks of themselves as having an artistic temperament and thus sympathizes more with Iroha-in-pain.

I saw the "frictionless utopia" comment as directed as much at Japanese social relations as at Cocona herself. All the conventions of community over self and maintaining "face" seem designed to create "frictionless" social interactions that Salt rightfully identifies as an impossible goal.

Does anyone understand why the nail-clippers were there? Is it a reference to some other anime or trope I'm unaware of? Papika under the desk reminded me of Kitarou, though it might be a more modern reference to a horror anime I've not seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5