• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Powered-Up Forms That Are More Weird Than Awesome [2016-11-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xMemorie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
What about Gon's asspull form when he grows up and has hair that goes up for miles?

What asspull are you talking about? It was an established technique in the series.
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
Oh, come on, ANN! Sousuke Aizen's hougyoku form deserves a spot on this list.
http://www.mcmbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/308Ichigo_vs._Aizen_1.png

Last edited by Double Mangekyo on Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enturax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
What a weak list - where is Aizen?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The other thing is that Fist of the North Star is not legally available or available in only a limited manner in the United States, which is where I'm certain the bulk of ANN"s readership is from. I can swear it's been made available in some way, just that it never caught on.

All of the Fist of the North Star TV series is available on Crunchyroll. Not sure the movie(s) have been made available. But thinking it wasn't is understandable, as I thought the same thing when I went to watch it a couple years ago (but was deterred by the quality of the particular fansubs that I tried to find it legally and did).

From the 32 new series I'm watching this season, I whittled it down to Sound Euphonium 2, Yuri on Ice, which are my top 2 of the season in no order, and Keijo!!!!!!!! which I did more to highlight it than nominate it as my number 3. It's unfortunate that I can only pick three, but yeah that's how they have done such polls in the past.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
You forgot the retarded 4th gear of One Piece.

If you're talking about Bounceman, that thing is SUPPOSED to look dumb. There's no "...Than Awesome" about it.

zrnzle500 wrote:
All of the Fist of the North Star TV series is available on Crunchyroll. Not sure the movie(s) have been made available. But thinking it wasn't is understandable, as I thought the same thing when I went to watch it a couple years ago (but was deterred by the quality of the particular fansubs that I tried to find it legally and did).

Huh, it must have slipped my notice then.

The boat's kind of passed then, in that case--there are so many new anime series coming out that nowadays, I'd bet most people who watch anime have been totally focused on current, present-day series.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Double Mangekyo wrote:

Not to mention his final form where he becomes more hollow-like:

http://i.imgur.com/9s8v2RK.jpg

On a different note, I think a neat idea for a list would be forgotten 80's/90's American cartoons (or, more broadly, non-Japanese cartoons) AKA "What are the non-anime cartoons from our childhoods that have been lost to time?". A few of mine are ExoSquad, Biker Mice from Mars, and X-Men Evolution. Another really big one for me is the Mega Man cartoon, but I think that was actually Japanese, or at least animated in Japan, so depending on the definition of "anime" used, it may or may not count.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Double Mangekyo wrote:

Oh lord, Butterfree Aizen.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

The boat's kind of passed then, in that case--there are so many new anime series coming out that nowadays, I'd bet most people who watch anime have been totally focused on current, present-day series.

Their loss. I'd list Fist of the North Star as one of the prime reasons computer animation will never top cel animation.

"But it's messy..."
"Because it's messy."

Nothing quite like technical limitations forcing people to use ingenuity and creativity. Or am I thinking about practical effects versus CGI?

What am I watching this season? I haven't tried a lot so far as it's either samish or whatever Flip Flappers is but I still haven't made my mind up on that one. Gi(a)rlish number, maybe one or two others eventually but I really just prefer to watch an entire series in a week so I wait on most of them anyway.

Why watch a new episode when in the same time I can watch an entire series instead?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:
On a different note, I think a neat idea for a list would be forgotten 80's/90's American cartoons (or, more broadly, non-Japanese cartoons) AKA "What are the non-anime cartoons from our childhoods that have been lost to time?". A few of mine are ExoSquad, Biker Mice from Mars, and X-Men Evolution. Another really big one for me is the Mega Man cartoon, but I think that was actually Japanese, or at least animated in Japan, so depending on the definition of "anime" used, it may or may not count.
Mega Man was Ruby-Spears. Of the other things on their plate, I recognize Thundarr the Barbarian(watched maybe half an episode) and Alvin and the Chipmunks(not sure if the one I watched a few episodes of is their or not).
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the survey shouldn't have had a 3 show limit. I also think they should've added the missing simulcast shows to the list.

I submitted the 3 regular length shows I've been watching with the survey. I've also been watching these 3 short episode shows in the list:

The Glass Mask Year 3 Class D (3-Nen D-Gumi Glass no Kamen)
Kiitaro's yokai picture diary
Ninja Girl & Samurai Master

I've also been watching these 5 short episode shows that aren't in the list:

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
Kaiju Girls
Miss Bernard said.
Nyanbo!
Sengokuchojyugiga

I think Miss Bernard, Glass Mask, and Saiki K. are especially good.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Top three that I'm still watching:
Girlish Number
Flip Flappers
Izetta the Last Witch

The rest in no particular order other then alphabetically:
Brave Witches (on the cusp of dropping)
Keijo!!!
Magical Girl Raising Project (could knock out Izetta)
MWSCP+1
Scorching Ping Pong Girls (very on the cusp)
Sound! Euphonium 2 (also could knock off Izetta)

Dropped Trickster after the third episode and I wish The Ancient Magus Bride was scheduled for more episodes and at a better clip; but that first episode!!!!!!
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
I'm with the author here. Some of those power ups looked like they needed either a little more work or a little more thought or both into them. I don't know whether it's the show directors or animators or the show's creator but,yeah. The power ups could have been a little bit better,in my opinion.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:24 am Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
What about Gon's asspull form when he grows up and has hair that goes up for miles?

wait a second. are you talking about gon from hunter x hunter? i do not recall him having a transformation like that in the old series.

also i'm surprised non of the failed fusion transformations from DBZ didn't get into the list. also i am more surprised that the straus sibling's take over magic (mira,elfman,lisanna) arent even get a mention on the list considering that their transformation are weirder than awesome. especially for lisanna since her animal transformations are beyond weird. mira's definitely have bizarre transformations (especially satan soul and her halfas form), but most of her's are basically fanservice central.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote
With those piercing red eyes and huge teeth, I find Goku's Great Ape form to be more frightening than weird.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
SejinPK wrote:

Mega Man was Ruby-Spears. Of the other things on their plate, I recognize Thundarr the Barbarian(watched maybe half an episode) and Alvin and the Chipmunks(not sure if the one I watched a few episodes of is their or not).

I do know Mega Man was Ruby-Spears, but I want to say I also remember seeing some Japanese names in the credits (I have the show on old DVDs, and watched it not too long ago). Not that that's inherently indicative of anything, but it made me think the show could have been a collaborative effort between companies in the U.S. and Japan. Admittedly, I'm basing this on vague memories and uninformed guessing. I'd need to take another look at the credits and see what other info I can find online before I could be sure of anything.

I had completely forgotten about the Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoon, haha! I've never heard of Thundarr the Barbarian, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4