• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How long will it take to rewatch a typical anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarsi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
How long do you guys wait when you want to watch a series all over again? Is there a certain length of time that needs to be passed before you revisit your old dvds or fansubs, or can you break them out a few weeks after finishing a series?

I like to wait at least a month before watching a series again. Watching it again too soon means that I'll eventually be bored with it, which is why I let the time fly in order to forgot most of the story and plot.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Due to a massive backlog pretty much the only time I get a chance to re watch something is when I watch DVDs of shows I watched fan subbed. For stuff I only have fan subbed or on DVD I tend to re watch specific individual episodes more than dvd/arcs or a series.

The only real exceptions are very short OVAs (RK, R.O.D, Macross+ etc) as well as shows I really like which have an upcoming sequel. I intend to re watch Code Geass prior to the second season and same deal with Gundam 00 etc.
Isikari

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I haven't explored too many anime shows (No more than a couple dozen), but part of that is because I've been extraordinarily lucky in picking great shows. I wait just about two years before re-watching a show, if I start any earlier I'll remember too much and it won't seem fresh.

Also, the shorter the anime, the faster you can watch it again because you spent less time with the characters. So I re-watched Scrapped Princess (24 Episodes I believe) after only 18-19 months, whereas its been almost two years and I have yet to commence re-watching Fullmetal Alchemist (52 Episodes)

P.S. I just realized that the forum spell-checker underlines the word 'anime'. If that isn't irony on ANN, i don't know what is.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
There's no time limit for me. I'll rewatch one show 2 weeks later while another 2 months or 2 years later. it all depends on what I'm in the mood for. Very rarely am I in the mood for a certain show. Usually for me it's a particular genre or theme I'm interested in. For a week or two I may want a science fiction fix and the following week or two a comedy fix. If I have new shows to watch in those genres I usually watch those first, or at least some of them. If there are no new shows or if they don't grab my attention I look to my very substantial collection. I have them in different dvd towers by genre so I just go to the genre I want and look around. Just browse them a bit and find one that catches my eye. I have my anime staples that I continuously rewatch but there's never any real time table for when I'll rewatch a show.
Kuyukly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...I kinda vary. I haven't watched Excel Saga in over a year and a half, maybe even two years at this point, but I've watched Azumanga Daioh probably four or five times over. Anime hyper

Usually when I watch an anime, I let it sit for a while to let the emotion wash away, then watch it again when it seems fresh and new to me. That time usually varies, because when there's nothing to do or watch, my mind dwells on it and it takes longer to freshen up, but when I have a whole lot of anime to watch, it's all a matter of "Do I want to watch this again? Very Happy".

Of course, like psycho 101, it's a matter of whether I want to watch sci-fi or fantasy more than any certain anime.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
I usually watch whatever I'm in the mood for, so it varies considerably. I rewatch some series a lot and others infrequently, but I'd say that on average, I probably rewatch most series within a month. I've stopped watching fan-subs and there is very little else that I watch besides anime, so I can run through several series a week if I feel like it. I do tend to watch DVD volumes twice when they come out though, because I rewatch things I've seen by myself with my sister.

Not too different from psycho 101 really. (Although my DVDs are organized in a very different manner.)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I usually watch whatever I'm in the mood for, so it varies considerably. I rewatch some series a lot and others infrequently, but I'd say that on average, I probably rewatch most series within a month. I've stopped watching fan-subs and there is very little else that I watch besides anime, so I can run through several series a week if I feel like it. I do tend to watch DVD volumes twice when they come out though, because I rewatch things I've seen by myself with my sister.

Not too different from psycho 101 really. (Although my DVDs are organized in a very different manner.)

Oh mine go beyond just being organized by genre. If I went into full detail though I'd be showing my OCD and show what a freak I am (as if I don't do that already).
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
It depends. I don't usually plan on rewatching series - I only did that for Ouran (rewatched it as soon as I finished it, then got bored with it the third time I watched it, which was right after I watched it for a second time *whew*). I only rewatch when I finished a series and have no idea on what to watch after it. I rewatched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya after 4-5 months since I first watched it. It's about the same for Genshiken. Both series are just as good when I rewatched them, so I guess it's a good idea to wait a "medium" amount of time (at least 5 months) before rewatching a series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Leuconoe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:52 am Reply with quote
There usually has to be a very long gap before I'll watch a series again - with a good memory, many new series to watch, and an increasingly limited amount of time to do so, I think it's understandable.

I do, however, sometimes go back and rewatch specific episodes or even scenes, either because I want to write something about them (the other night, unable to sleep, I wrote 1500 words about an eleven-second action sequence in Seirei no Moribito episode 3, which involved watching the scene many, many times).

Very, very rarely I will watch a series again straight after watching it the first time. This is, as far as I'm concerned, the ultimate indication that I really enjoyed something.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quote
I have no set time ever. I can watch FLCL every few weeks and Full Metal Panic(which I just started again with friends) every few months. So many factors play into it. The length, how much I liked the anime, how it played out. My biggest problem sometimes is watching a long anime over again. Not so much as in "how long" it will take but I want to see specific fights or moments and don't feel like wading through all of the beginning episodes.

I do however set time aside to rewatch anime. If I go through a big list of new ones, I'll probably stop and watch 2 series from before. I do have a good enough memory that plots never surprise me again nor the outcome of almost any big situation, but I love to see the more subtle things once more. All the little things that make up character interaction: jokes, looks, sighs, gestures and the rest.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Varies according to my mood. The time between viewings of my favourite series Evangelion was 7 years (in 1999 when I saw the EoE for the first time, & 2006 when I finally watched the Platinum edition), yet I re-watched Azumanga Daioh & Grenadier within a week because they made me laugh so hard, & I re-watched Kannazuki no Miko within days because the angst was great. I've just finished Ergo Proxy but I'll probably be re-watching that real soon as the ending confused me somewhat. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it really depends on the series. I find that with comedies, I can re-watch them over and over pretty much anytime, even if I've just watched them. Usually all it takes is someone saying "I've never seen Goldenboy" for me to bust that out, regardless of whether I last saw it last night or last year.

Also, anything that I first saw back when I first started watching anime a decade ago I can rewatch pretty much any time. I think I could watch the Fist of the North Star movie every day for the rest of my life and never get sick of it. Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Most of the time - I won't bother re-watching anything. That "anime low" kicks in -- such that, if I get to the end of a series, it's over. Exceptions were anything shown on Adult Swim -- and the Haruhi series (which I watched each episode 10 times over or so). Sometimes, I'll just pick out particular favorite episodes, and watch those again, like the 7th episode to Vandread.

Once again, all depends on what I feel like doing.
ChronoRic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Since I always have something new to watch a few years normally go by before I rewatch something.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I just rewatch something whenever I'm in the mood for it. Or when I'm bored I just pick something off of my shelf from my rather massive collection at random.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3