• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime That Take You to The Wild Wild West

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Does original Gundam count if I saw it in movie trilogy form? I'm gonna say it counts.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Luke's JRPG Channel wrote:
Trigun is the only one I have watched out of these.

Even Cowboy Bebop?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
There are a few things on that list that everyone should watch... if they like hard SF, regardless of whether or not they like anime.

Aside from the hard SF things and Cardcaptor Sakura, most of the rest is garbage. There's no reason anyone should consider Tenchi a "classic" (old does not automatically mean "classic"). And I'm a bit ashamed to have bubbled in "all" for Love Hina.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
There are a few things on that list that everyone should watch... if they like hard SF, regardless of whether or not they like anime.

Aside from the hard SF things and Cardcaptor Sakura, most of the rest is garbage. There's no reason anyone should consider Tenchi a "classic" (old does not automatically mean "classic"). And I'm a bit ashamed to have bubbled in "all" for Love Hina.

Are you for real? Tenchi along with Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2 are basically what made harem, a very popular genre, popular.

By your reasoning, why is Cardcaptor Sakura a classic? I personally loved it when I was younger, and think its still pretty good, but at the same time I doubt anyone who is not a fan of magical girls would really care for it.

And what do you mean by hard SF? I don't think any of those shows actually qualify by the definition of hard SF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_science_fiction
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
I half expected to see Azumanga Daioh and Inuyasha on the poll, but maybe they're too new.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

killjoy_the wrote:
Quite a few of the classics I haven't watched but have read: Dragon Ball, Rurouni Kenshin, Fist of the North Star and Card Captor Sakura through the entirety of it, and Love Hina for like 6 pages before I rated it as complete garbage and gave up. Tenchi Muyo is the next manga on my to-read list, too.

If you're planning to check out Tenchi for the first time, I'd start with the first two OVAs before moving on to the manga. It's been quite a while since I read No Need for Tench, but I don't know if it starts at the beginning of the story, or if it continues presuming you've already seen it. So just to avoid potential confusion, you may want to check out the original first.

The manga spends the first eight pages recapping the characters and giving a thumbnail review of some of the narrative of the first two OVAs. But truth be told, actually watching the OVAs is the only real option.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
"on the lamb"? Seriously? This is almost as bad as the people I always see typing "per say" when they are trying to say "per se." Actually, it's probably worse in the sense that at least those sound the same
I have never heard somebody pronounce the expression and the animal differently, so it's unsurprising it'd be a nation-wide eggcorn the way it is. But then, I've heard somebody pronounce the 'T' in "depot"(or "The Home Depot", rather), so there's a black swan for everything.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The only classic I have not watched/read is Rurouni Kenshin. From that list of classics I would take out Dirty Pair, Tenchi Muyo and Love Hina, and I would add Escaflowne, Nausica of the Valley of the Wind and Princess Mononoke.

TheTsunami wrote:
Perfect Blue has been on my to watch list for awhile, waiting for some vacation time.

You do realize that Perfect Blue is a 81 minutes movie? It should not take much of your time to watch it.

I have always been lazy about setting aside that 80-120 minutes to do nothing else but watch a movie straight through, though Perfect Blue is actually the last Satoshi Kon movie I have left to watch.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
The manga spends the first eight pages recapping the characters and giving a thumbnail review of some of the narrative of the first two OVAs. But truth be told, actually watching the OVAs is the only real option.

Thanks for the confirmation Smile I figured that was the more likely scenario, but didn't want to say for sure.

st_owly wrote:
I half expected to see Azumanga Daioh and Inuyasha on the poll, but maybe they're too new.

Azumanga's anime would be the newest thing on the list (2002), but that's still not very new. I would definitely consider it a classic example of a 4 koma based show and a progenitor to many later 4 koma shows, but I'm not sure I'd consider it a classic along the lines of Dragon ball or Sailor Moon, in that it has staying power and still influences many later stories. You're not very likely to see a parody or reference to it in a recent show like you may most of the others on this list for instance.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
An anime story I would like to see is 1 of those space westerns except it's a harem. It would be a harem where the main harem girl falls under the First Girl Wins/Lucky Childhood Friend tropes.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:34 am Reply with quote
There's a number of those titles where I have seen such a huge chunk (I think I've seen almost all of Dragon Ball and original Gundam, and with Rurouni Kenshin I saw all that aired on Toonami) that "Some" feels like a big understatement, but had to chose it anyway because I certainly hadn't seen absolutely all of them. The titles that were a "No" for me are Ghost in the Shell film, Perfect Blue, Dirty Pair, Fist of the North Star, and Love Hina. With Lupin III, I've seen what aired of Part II on Adult Swim. The rest are all are a definite "Yes".
treatment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
"on the lamb"? Seriously? This is almost as bad as the people I always see typing "per say" when they are trying to say "per se." Actually, it's probably worse in the sense that at least those sound the same (although either is unquestionably not nearly as bad as "would/should/could of," but that one is a completely different type of situation to begin with). You really shouldn't attempt to use expressions you've only heard other people say at some point that you haven't actually checked the meaning of.

P.S. A quick Google search suggestions check actually showed "on the lamb" as a top suggestion, showing it's actually pretty common. This is just really, really sad.

Reckon your Google search was just being sheepish about it...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Also, it seems 24% of ANN viewers didn't get this message:
relyat08 wrote:
Not to be super elitist or anything, but this is an ultra niche medium of entertainment that is not very well understood by people outside of it, and not very well understood by probably the majority of casual fans either. As people watch more anime and see more styles that's when they realize that this "anime style" isn't really a thing

I disagree. I think there are various tropes and techniques that somewhat define the "anime style," and if a show from the US or Europe (or anywhere else) deliberately invokes those elements, I think it's a disservice to the conversation to avoid referencing anime when describing that show.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Also, it seems 24% of ANN viewers didn't get this message:
relyat08 wrote:
Not to be super elitist or anything, but this is an ultra niche medium of entertainment that is not very well understood by people outside of it, and not very well understood by probably the majority of casual fans either. As people watch more anime and see more styles that's when they realize that this "anime style" isn't really a thing

I disagree. I think there are various tropes and techniques that somewhat define the "anime style," and if a show from the US or Europe (or anywhere else) deliberately invokes those elements, I think it's a disservice to the conversation to avoid referencing anime when describing that show.

You can reference anime, and look like some anime. Or what some people think of as this nebulous "anime style". That's not the problem, nor what my point actually was(this quote is out of context). Anime, as a whole, does not fit within a style. There are many styles within it and their variations are great enough to discredit the anime style as being anything that can make something anime. Or on the flip-side, make something not-anime. Styles, of course, do exist, but they aren't the determining feature of anime.
I think it is arrogant and far too simplistic to try to pigeonhole anime into a style, which is why I dislike the term "anime style".
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
I enjoy Wild Arms because I found it to be a funny show. I never played the games, but I feel like that you don't need to be a fan of something to like something or dislike something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4