• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime That Take You to The Wild Wild West

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Lack of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's(Crash Town, even though it is filler) is lack of.

I consider Yu-Gi-Oh!(Season 0 for folks.) to be a classic. Why? Because if you haven't watched it or read the manga then you don't know Yu-Gi-Oh!(Game King. Meaning more than one game.) at all and you're definition of the series will be anime canon plot focused on a card game called "Duel Monsters"(Duel King) to help promote its real life card game. This is why "The Dark Side of Dimensions"(Along with "Transcend Game") movie is a manga canon movie instead of a anime canon movie like "Super Fusion! Bonds that transcend time."
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
"on the lamb"? Seriously? This is almost as bad as the people I always see typing "per say" when they are trying to say "per se." Actually, it's probably worse in the sense that at least those sound the same (although either is unquestionably not nearly as bad as "would/should/could of," but that one is a completely different type of situation to begin with). You really shouldn't attempt to use expressions you've only heard other people say at some point that you haven't actually checked the meaning of.

P.S. A quick Google search suggestions check actually showed "on the lamb" as a top suggestion, showing it's actually pretty common. This is just really, really sad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I've seen the Dirty Pair TV show, but does that count or do I have to [have] seen the OVAs?

You can answer "Some" if you haven't, but you're missing out. Smile

Speaking of the Pair, there was one TV episode, IIRC, where the Angels went to a Wild-West planet and pretended to do the Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars bit to expose a pair of rival town bosses.
Blending in, Kei took the general "Have Gun Will Travel" Paladin fashion look, while Yuri went for the Clint Eastwood ponchos.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
What, no Musashi Gundoh on the list? I'm shocked.

/sarcasm, dear heavens that show was something else.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
"on the lamb"?

The phrase is common enough. Though both your example and article's is misspelt, it should be "lam", not "lamb"...
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
@Blanchimont
I think that XerBlade's point was that the word should have been "lam" rather than "lamb."

As he discovered "on the lamb" is also used. I would not be surprised if it overtakes "on the lam" because "lamb" is a more common word and many people who are not very familiar with the phrase probably think "lamb" when they hear it spoken.

The image of somebody ridding a lamb to escape the law is rather absurd, but a lot of idioms do not make any literal sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Man, I love the classics! I think the only one on that list that I haven't seen or read any of is Love Hina.
But I have definitely seen all of Dirty Pair 80s (the movies, the OVAs, and the show itself, it's all so awesome). I've not seen Flash, but why ruin a good thing?

And whoever said Macross should be on the list, definitely that one. I mean, the thing still gets spinoffs to this day in Japan (like every 5 years like clockwork). On that one, I'd probably add an option that says "Yes, original Japanese" or "Yes, as Robotech".
I'd also add Gunbuster, Digimon Adventure (it was pretty big over here I think), You're Under Arrest, and I could list a lot of other things, but they might be going towards more obscure.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
If we are going for a newer anime as well, I would also add Detective Conan, Pokémon and Digimon on the list of classics. Come on, don't kill me, but be honest, for many these things were introduction to anime (though Detective Conan probably not in North America, but in a lot of Europe, that's really the case for some anime fans).

I don't think I would consider on going series "classics," at least how it seems to be used here. I suppose the first season/series of pokemon could be considered since the show changes some of it's characters and location with each new game, but Detective Conan is in a general sense, the same. I imagine that other than the animation quality, you could pick random eps and be fine as the show is pretty episodic.

killjoy_the wrote:
Quite a few of the classics I haven't watched but have read: Dragon Ball, Rurouni Kenshin, Fist of the North Star and Card Captor Sakura through the entirety of it, and Love Hina for like 6 pages before I rated it as complete garbage and gave up. Tenchi Muyo is the next manga on my to-read list, too.

If you're planning to check out Tenchi for the first time, I'd start with the first two OVAs before moving on to the manga. It's been quite a while since I read No Need for Tench, but I don't know if it starts at the beginning of the story, or if it continues presuming you've already seen it. So just to avoid potential confusion, you may want to check out the original first.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Space Battleship Yamato and Macross not being in the list of classics is definitely an oversight.

I don't really see Escaflowne as an updated Aura Battler Dunbine. Other than having the main characters being transported to another world and the medieval-like setting, the shows are quite different from each other.
bones2039

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't have listed Love Hina in with the other classics that were listed. I would have put Slayers or Ranma on the list before it.
Luke's JRPG Channel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Trigun is the only one I have watched out of these.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Luke's JRPG Channel wrote:
Trigun is the only one I have watched out of these.

Then you have a lot of great anime still to watch for the first time.
Dextres

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Out of this list, I really only seen Cowboy Bebop(still hasn't seen the movies), Trigun and Gun X Sword(my fave).

I'm familar with the Wild Arms series to owning a copy of Wilds Arms 3(though I just don't have
the time to finish playing and beat it already). Some of these titles on the list look interesting
to check out with more free time later.

Perfect Blue, Fist of the north star, Rose of Versailles are classics on the list I haven't seen yet.

Edit: after viewing a few people comments here, their is quite a bit I haven't seen either(though I am familar with Astro Boy & Robotech).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Captain Harlock started as a space cowboy.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
IAnyway, if we're going for 90s and before stuff that had a big impact in Western fandom, lack of anything Rumiko Takahashi seems a huge oversight. It's probably my least favorite series by her, but Ranma 1/2's impact on fandom in North America was massive, for example.

Which reminds me, we also had a S5 Ranma 1/2 episode where Ryouga, on one of his wanderings, wanders into a Western-ranch setting, and becomes the Shane to defend the poor rancher and his daughter from outlaw cattle rustlers.
(Of course, it also helps that he could find his way back out again...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4