• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: High School DxD Gets New TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:

Is everyone already used to Josh Grelle as the new voice of Issei Hyodo in the Funimation English Dub version? Or does anyone still kinda miss Scott Freeman?

He's ok but I doubt he'll ever be great in the role or exceed his predecessor. At least Freeman gave Issei a unique voice while Grelle as talented as he is unfortunately phoned in the role with a voice he's used dozens of times before.

Snow White with the Red Hair's dub is proof Cris George is capable of directing a good dub but ignoring the fact he was put into a bad situation to take over the dub, season 1 & 2's dub by Clinkenbeard & Sabat were tiers better.

Be great if either of them returned; second option would be Jerry Jewell to direct season 4; who apparently has the rare super power of directing sequels better than the original ADR directors. Laughing
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:56 am Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
CANimeFan88 wrote:

Is everyone already used to Josh Grelle as the new voice of Issei Hyodo in the Funimation English Dub version? Or does anyone still kinda miss Scott Freeman?

He's ok but I doubt he'll ever be great in the role or exceed his predecessor. At least Freeman gave Issei a unique voice while Grelle as talented as he is unfortunately phoned in the role with a voice he's used dozens of times before.

Snow White with the Red Hair's dub is proof Cris George is capable of directing a good dub but ignoring the fact he was put into a bad situation to take over the dub, season 1 & 2's dub by Clinkenbeard & Sabat were tiers better.

Be great if either of them returned; second option would be Jerry Jewell to direct season 4; who apparently has the rare super power of directing sequels better than the original ADR directors. Laughing

I also miss hearing Scott Freeman's voice. I really don't care what he did. I just hope he's able to find work again in a few years time.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me what exactly is so unique about Josh Grelle? I mostly know him as the infamously dense Ichika Orimura in Infinite Stratos.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
I think after 4 TV seasons, that is good enough for a harem. I don't read the LN and I can be kind of indifferent for it staying faithful to the LN. This is because I watch it for the fan service.

In this day and age it is a real milestone for a harem focused series to have this much seasons in its run. Not only that, this is the first harem series in modern times i have seen getting past the 50 ep mark. If u add all the episodes of the first 3 seasons plus the 4 ovas that is already 40 ep and with this one at least another cour that is 52ep.

I cannot remember the last time a harem/ecchi series got this much. does anybody know..cause most only get either 1 cour with an occasional 2 seasons but that is it.

Actually the To Love-Ru franchise already has four series in the book. Including its OVAs (not all of which are legally available outside of Japan) and the fact that its first series was 26 episodes, I believe it's over 70 episodes total by now. The originating TenchiMuyo! franchise is also in that same ballpark even if you only count the episodes involving Tenchi directly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I also miss hearing Scott Freeman's voice. I really don't care what he did. I just hope he's able to find work again in a few years time.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me what exactly is so unique about Josh Grelle? I mostly know him as the infamously dense Ichika Orimura in Infinite Stratos.

he's voiced quite a few guys like Shido from Date a Live, Maou from Devil is a Part Timer, and currently Tanukichi from Shimoneta to name a few.

Basically he's best when voicing teenagers especially "generic" ones though I wouldnt call Maou generic. he's not bad as Issei and he certainly takes the role seriously. Freeman was great but I think Grelle sounds a little closer to Yuki Kaji cos Freeman's voice sounds a tad deeper. Its a personal preference for me when comparing English VAs that I prefer their voice suits the character's personality, how well they can get into character and how close their voice can be to the seiyuus in terms of sound and pitch. But thats just me
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Quote:

he's voiced quite a few guys like Shido from Date a Live, Maou from Devil is a Part Timer, and currently Tanukichi from Shimoneta to name a few.

Basically he's best when voicing teenagers especially "generic" ones though I wouldnt call Maou generic. he's not bad as Issei and he certainly takes the role seriously. Freeman was great but I think Grelle sounds a little closer to Yuki Kaji cos Freeman's voice sounds a tad deeper. Its a personal preference for me when comparing English VAs that I prefer their voice suits the character's personality, how well they can get into character and how close their voice can be to the seiyuus in terms of sound and pitch. But thats just me

Interesting. Thanks!
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
I think after 4 TV seasons, that is good enough for a harem. I don't read the LN and I can be kind of indifferent for it staying faithful to the LN. This is because I watch it for the fan service.

In this day and age it is a real milestone for a harem focused series to have this much seasons in its run. Not only that, this is the first harem series in modern times i have seen getting past the 50 ep mark. If u add all the episodes of the first 3 seasons plus the 4 ovas that is already 40 ep and with this one at least another cour that is 52ep.

I cannot remember the last time a harem/ecchi series got this much. does anybody know..cause most only get either 1 cour with an occasional 2 seasons but that is it.

Actually the To Love-Ru franchise already has four series in the book. Including its OVAs (not all of which are legally available outside of Japan) and the fact that its first series was 26 episodes, I believe it's over 70 episodes total by now. The originating TenchiMuyo! franchise is also in that same ballpark even if you only count the episodes involving Tenchi directly.

I wonder why it ain't legal here. To Love-Ru is one of my favorite ecchi series. It's entertaining in so many ways. I wish somebody could at least make a fandub of the original manga. I'd so give it a look.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
Forgot to mention the one thing people tend to dislike about Grelle is the fact he tends sound the same regardless of who he voices meaning he's not able to adjust his voice as well as other VAs even if he's able to adjust to the character's personality.

PS. He also voiced Akihisa from Baka and Test which was the first show I heard his work as a VA
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:37 am Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
I wonder why it ain't legal here. To Love-Ru is one of my favorite ecchi series. It's entertaining in so many ways. I wish somebody could at least make a fandub of the original manga. I'd so give it a look.

Probably because the OVAs would be a separate license, as I believe they were released with manga volumes. This is hardly a problem limited to the TLR franchise, though it seems more affected by it than most since some of the unlicensed OVAs are crucial set-ups for certain seasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Probably because the OVAs would be a separate license, as I believe they were released with manga volumes. This is hardly a problem limited to the TLR franchise, though it seems more affected by it than most since some of the unlicensed OVAs are crucial set-ups for certain seasons.

So thats why DxD's OVAs and specials never got dubbed? Because they were released separately with BDs or manga and LN volumes so they need to be licensed separately. That applies to all OVAs and specials where the main anime series was licensed and dubbed
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
But seriously, is there anyone who wants to make a fan-made dub of the TLR manga? I would like to see what these characters sound like in English. Plus, I'm more fond of reading the original manga knowing how terribly off the anime's first season is.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
Well nothing could be worse than that third season right?

that was only cause of that season went the soul eater route and had an original anime ending (OAE) and didn't follow the light novels. dont know why cause the LN didn't had a delay or went into hiatus like what happened with the index novels for a time but its more or less why people didn't liked season three.

hopefully this season will follow the LN route. though we should be glad its at least this series IS getting a 4th season which is unheard of considering that anime that are based off of a light novel adaptation basically gets one 12 ep season, and in rare cases or if their very popular in the otaku community (index, SAO , freezing, shinmai mao no testament, horizon,infinite stratos) gets a second season but that's it, and to continue with the storyline of those series, you'll have to read their Light Novels. the fact that dxd is getting a season 4 shows how popular the series is in general. lets to hope that this season will indeed follow the LN route, and more importantly the casting for both the sub and dub versions will return to reprise their roles, though the english dub cast will need a overhaul. (thanks for screwing things for everyone freeman)

KLAC wrote:
Alright then s4 orders of DxD is coming much YES indeed it coming & yes wait for funi on standby for license dub.

i wouldnt be so sure about that. just because funi did the last three seasons, doesnt necessarily mean they will automatically license this one. i learned that lesson the hard way then they completely skip season two of Hell Girl. while i wont be surprised if the do license this season, dont be surprise if they skip this one and have another company let alone another studio dub this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Don't forget about UFO Ultra Maiden Valkyrie. That one had 3 seasons and the OVA's. Granted each season was only 12 episodes but it still is an accomplishment. Perhaps more so if you consider when it was released such shows were not as widespread as they are now. Plus it showed an awful lot of boobage for it's time too when panty shots were the big thing.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

i wouldnt be so sure about that. just because funi did the last three seasons, doesnt necessarily mean they will automatically license this one. i learned that lesson the hard way then they completely skip season two of Hell Girl. while i wont be surprised if the do license this season, dont be surprise if they skip this one and have another company let alone another studio dub this one.

yeah, because Hell Girl was a flop, so of course they didn't get the other two seasons. DxD sell, alot. So yes, it would be very surprising if they didn't get this new season. if you're going to learn stuff, apply it properly
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Don't forget about UFO Ultra Maiden Valkyrie. That one had 3 seasons and the OVA's. Granted each season was only 12 episodes but it still is an accomplishment. Perhaps more so if you consider when it was released such shows were not as widespread as they are now. Plus it showed an awful lot of boobage for it's time too when panty shots were the big thing.

I actively try to forget that franchise exists. After all, its first volume got one of the most negative reviews I've ever given.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Always interested in more Highschool DxD.

Now if only someone would animate the rest of my favorite battle harem, Sekirei, I want that to happen more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5