• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super to Simulcast on Crunchyroll, Daisuki, AnimeLab

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Can anyone tell me (without spoilers, please) what episode the series switches from redoing to the movies and going into new material?

The Universe 6 arc starts at episode 28, 27 ended the exact same way as the Resurrection F movie so you won't be missing anything if you skip it.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

"intended cast"?
You do realize that for shows like DB (most shows actually) the english cast also has to be approved by the original creators right? Which means Toriyama (or at the very least the directors and producers of the db franchise) picked these actors to represent the characters just like they did for the Japanese cast.

Funny how a lot of people forget that when they get into these huge debates of "who sounds better".

Is that really the case though for Dragon Ball though? How would that explain the multiple versions of the English dub alone? Canada had the Ocean/Blue Water dubs for the longest time and I actually don't recall getting the Funi dub at all outside of maybe a small stretch at most.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Then by all means, wait for the English dub. At least it's been accurate recently.

But the simulcast will be in Japanese, with the intended cast.

"intended cast"?

You do realize that for shows like DB (most shows actually) the english cast also has to be approved by the original creators right? Which means Toriyama (or at the very least the directors and producers of the db franchise) picked these actors to represent the characters just like they did for the Japanese cast.

Funny how a lot of people forget that when they get into these huge debates of "who sounds better".

Ahahahaha... you think this happened with DB/Z?

Gen Fukunaga had family at Toei. It was a done deal. He could have trained emus voice the characters, Toei wouldn't care, as long as they got the money for the license.

You think the DB franchise is licensed by Funimation because they were the best people for the job? Nope. Have they become a respectable licensor and dubber over time? Sure. But let's not pretend Toei gave a damn about approving VAs for Funimation's dub of DB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
"intended cast"?

Do you seriously think they fly Kishimoto, Oda and Toriyama into FUNimation and Viz studios to personally hold the auditions? They don't care. Toei doesn't care. Toei only cares about how much money they get for a license. You're talking about the company that gave Saban and 4kids the rights to their popular franchises to cut up. Creators may oversee the original voice acting selection but they don't care about dubs. There are way too many dubs in the world for them the bother. They only care first and foremost about the Japanese market.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

"intended cast"?

Is that really the case though for Dragon Ball though? How would that explain the multiple versions of the English dub alone? Canada had the Ocean/Blue Water dubs for the longest time and I actually don't recall getting the Funi dub at all outside of maybe a small stretch at most.

I could always be wrong, I suppose it just felt like Toei was more involved in the Funi release than the others since apparently Fukunaga used to have a relative that worked there and the studio was made specifically to distribute the show in the US.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
They gave up already and simulcast it?

Not surprised.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
So is this show still not licensed? I'm confused about the current situation.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I could always be wrong, I suppose it just felt like Toei was more involved in the Funi release than the others since apparently Fukunaga used to have a relative that worked there and the studio was made specifically to distribute the show in the US.
Funimation licensed the series in 1996, when most series would've been mostly hands off. Depending on the exact deal they originally got, the sticking point might have been something as "simple" as Funi wanting Super folded into that contract while Toei wanted modern levels of control.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Wait, they're starting with the Future Trunks arc? I stopped watching halfway through the Tournament Arc because every streaming site I used sucked. I knew there was a catch. They're punishing the people who waited for legal streaming.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

If that's the case they did a rather terrible job with approving Z's second english dub.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mewzard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Wait, they're starting with the Future Trunks arc? I stopped watching halfway through the Tournament Arc because every streaming site I used sucked. I knew there was a catch. They're punishing the people who waited for legal streaming.

Every week they'll be adding ten more episodes to catch up. It takes time for that kind of stuff.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Every week they'll be adding ten more episodes to catch up. It takes time for that kind of stuff.

Still, it *does* feel like a punishment.

It's like, the people who have been illegally keeping up with it are allowed to watch it from where they left off, but those of us who have waited have to wait even longer.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Can they get Steve Simmons to subtitle?

Also, now watch a new crop of people bitch about Goku's Japanese voice. I just want to give them a preemptive eff yew. Evil or Very Mad

I don't see a Like button so I'll just say good on ya! Very Happy
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I love how the comments are insinuating you have to like one or the other,or GTFO! Why can't we like both?!

As for this announcement ,this is dumb. They couldn't have at least made this event happen at the start of the future trunks arc?? Now we have to wait at least 4-5 weeks before the sub gets to the point where we actually need to start. I understand wanting to get us at the exact episode they are at,but to call this stunt as little more as bad timing,would be the biggest understatement of the fu#king year!!
Freyanne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

It could be worse - they could have started at at episode 1 from the get-go amd upload them bit by bit per week until they caught up the current episodes.
But yeah, it is a shame they are starting in the middle of the Trunks arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7