• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super to Simulcast on Crunchyroll, Daisuki, AnimeLab

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
romanmack wrote:
Meh, I don't care what the excuse is. A full-grown adult like Goku should not sound like an old-lady (he doesn't even sound like a child) no matter what his personality is.

I realize it's Dragonball, and it's not exactly realistic... but this notion of keeping the voice actors forever, even when the character grows up (physically, I'm aware Goku hasn't really grown up mentally) is jarring in situations like this.

People always say "The voice works because of Goku's child-like personality blah-blah-blah" but you don't have to literally MAKE the voice sound childish (and again even in that aspect it fails, because he sounds more like an old lady, which is exactly who is voicing him, talented she may be) to accomplish that. What happened to good ol' writing and voice direction? Which brings me to my next point...

I think Sean's CURRENT take of Goku (I'm aware back during the early FUNi days it was terrible) is much better. Keeps him at his age, but sounds childish, aloof and carefree when he's not serious. Annnnd.... he has his own pre-puberty voice that didn't carry over into his adult-self, as it should.

Yeah yeah yeah, Toriyama wanted it this way, doesn't mean I have to agree with it or like it. I accept that it's this way because obviously it won't change but that doesn't mean I won't speak my mind about it. Razz

I feel this way for Adult Naruto keeping his voice, as well.

I notice in your rant, you don't mention having a problem with Mayumi Tanaka continuing to voice Kuririn into adulthood. Or Hiromi Tsuru continuing to voice Bulma (who was only a little older than Goku and Kuririn to start with).

Funny, that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DDragonking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Is episode 47 and the beginning of the Future Trunks arc the start of new material? I know DBS began just retelling the story from the 2 recent movies, Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, but I don't actually know what episode that stuff ended and the new content began.

No episode 47 is just the beginning of the Future Trunks arc the new material that starts after Resurrection F would have to be around Ep 27-30 around there because that's when we see and meet the Fat Beerus on the cover.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Funny, that.

It's kind of pointless to argue with people who think they know better then the director and the majority of fans. They can't stand that their opinion is not ahred by the majority so they have to yell loud and clear how much they dislike it.
romanmack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
romanmack wrote:
Meh, I don't care what the excuse is. A full-grown adult like Goku should not sound like an old-lady (he doesn't even sound like a child) no matter what his personality is.

I realize it's Dragonball, and it's not exactly realistic... but this notion of keeping the voice actors forever, even when the character grows up (physically, I'm aware Goku hasn't really grown up mentally) is jarring in situations like this.

People always say "The voice works because of Goku's child-like personality blah-blah-blah" but you don't have to literally MAKE the voice sound childish (and again even in that aspect it fails, because he sounds more like an old lady, which is exactly who is voicing him, talented she may be) to accomplish that. What happened to good ol' writing and voice direction? Which brings me to my next point...

I think Sean's CURRENT take of Goku (I'm aware back during the early FUNi days it was terrible) is much better. Keeps him at his age, but sounds childish, aloof and carefree when he's not serious. Annnnd.... he has his own pre-puberty voice that didn't carry over into his adult-self, as it should.

Yeah yeah yeah, Toriyama wanted it this way, doesn't mean I have to agree with it or like it. I accept that it's this way because obviously it won't change but that doesn't mean I won't speak my mind about it. Razz

I feel this way for Adult Naruto keeping his voice, as well.

I notice in your rant, you don't mention having a problem with Mayumi Tanaka continuing to voice Kuririn into adulthood. Or Hiromi Tsuru continuing to voice Bulma (who was only a little older than Goku and Kuririn to start with).

Funny, that.

Funny, what? We were talking about Goku, not the others.

I also don't like the fact that Gohan, Bardock (this one is a serious wtf), Krillin, etc. still have their child voices. Most of them don't have the whole "child like personality excuse" so for them to keep their voices is only because they didn't want to change them. I know the whole thing with how voice actors are regarded in Japan. Just don't like how they handle aging characters with it.

Also, females I usually give a pass because most women don't experience heavy changes in voice when they grow older. At the very least in this aspect, they can keep the same voice actress, although yeah, I do wish the voice actress for Bulma would make the voice sound a little more mature.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Mhm, ok... I might have cared about DBS a year ago. So, I am guessing the rumors of Toei refusing to simulcast it because they first wanted a U.S. tv run were not true.

Either that or they were true and they finally decided to give up because it's been over a year with no networks picking it up.

Either way, I'm excited that this is finally happening and gives me a solid reason to keep my Crunchyroll subscription well into the future. (And I wonder if Funi will simuldub it?)
romanmack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Funny, that.

It's kind of pointless to argue with people who think they know better then the director and the majority of fans. They can't stand that their opinion is not ahred by the majority so they have to yell loud and clear how much they dislike it.

It's even worse to follow the director like sheep and not have even one opinion for yourself.

Cease the pot-shots. This is a forum and like anyone else, I'm allowed to voice my opinion without being belittled because of it. If you can't handle an opinion that goes against your precious creator of Dragonball, then I suggest you stop visiting the internet.

Just because the creator wants it this way doesn't mean I have to AUTOMACTICALLY like it, nor AUTOMATICALLY praise it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Even with the sound of the voice aside, Nozawa's acting subtleties are unbeatable, the way she delivers Goku's lines that has the charm any of the English VAs have lacked. And she can switch between Goku, Gohan, and Goten at the snap of the fingers and make them each unique-sounding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
romanmack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Even with the sound of the voice aside, Nozawa's acting subtleties are unbeatable, the way she delivers Goku's lines that has the charm any of the English VAs have lacked. And she can switch between Goku, Gohan, and Goten at the snap of the fingers and make them each unique-sounding.

But if the voice itself doesn't work for me, all I can say is that she's a good actress but (to me) doesn't work on the character(s) as an adult. I don't agree with your opinion on the English voice actors either.

But to each their own.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Then by all means, wait for the English dub. At least it's been accurate recently.

But the simulcast will be in Japanese, with the intended cast.
romanmack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Then by all means, wait for the English dub. At least it's been accurate recently.

Well, Super itself has been pretty meh anyway, but this latest Trunks arc is ok.

I don't like the voices, but it's not enough from stopping me to watch it... but again Super has been mostly 'meh' to me, so it's not a priority.

At least people will stop pirating it now (well, some people, anime fans suck and will pirate something even when there's legal means available everywhere)
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

"intended cast"?

You do realize that for shows like DB (most shows actually) the english cast also has to be approved by the original creators right? Which means Toriyama (or at the very least the directors and producers of the db franchise) picked these actors to represent the characters just like they did for the Japanese cast.

Funny how a lot of people forget that when they get into these huge debates of "who sounds better".
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I really never minded the dub-casting for DBZ all that much. What really gets to me is the evisceration of the script, to the point where I was willing to sit through Grandma Goku to the point where it actually grew on me tons.

Barbobot wrote:
Is episode 47 and the beginning of the Future Trunks arc the start of new material? I know DBS began just retelling the story from the 2 recent movies, Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, but I don't actually know what episode that stuff ended and the new content began.
The new content begins with the arc before that one, which is the Universe 6 arc.
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
I really never minded the dub-casting for DBZ all that much. What really gets to me is the evisceration of the script, to the point where I was willing to sit through Grandma Goku to the point where it actually grew on me tons. That said Kai, Battle of Gods and Ressurection F had no such issues so I could go either way on those,

Barbobot wrote:
The new content begins with the arc before that one, which is the Universe 6 arc.
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
I really never minded the dub-casting for DBZ all that much. What really gets to me is the evisceration of the script, to the point where I was willing to sit through Grandma Goku to the point where it actually grew on me tons. That said Kai, Battle of Gods and Ressurection F had no such issues so I could go either way on those, even if I'm still a bit more partial towards the Japanese dub.

Barbobot wrote:
romanmack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

"intended cast"?

You do realize that for shows like DB (most shows actually) the english cast also has to be approved by the original creators right? Which means Toriyama (or at the very least the directors and producers of the db franchise) picked these actors to represent the characters just like they did for the Japanese cast.

Funny how a lot of people forget that when they get into these huge debates of "who sounds better".

Subbies always like to sound pretentious and like 'know-it-alls' when it comes to things like this. Just ignore those types.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7