• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Comments on Escaflowne Backer Reward Flaws

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, mine just came today - I feel extremely fortunate that I got everything I was supposed to, and all of it was in fine shape! Haven't watched the discs yet, though. I, for one, only bought the regular Kickstarter edition as opposed to the Collector's edition, and only the series, foregoing the movie.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
Anyone who's ever ordered anything from FUNimation's online store shouldn't be surprised at all that items are arriving damaged. The third-party fulfillment outfit they use has no concept whatsoever of how to properly handle or safely package anything.

Yeah, I ordered from them once. Got a refund and will never order from their store again. That was nearly 2 years ago. I can't even wrap my head around why they are still using the same people. Sorry to be so rude, but this is pure incompetence.

Ajc228 wrote:
Never supporting a Funimation Kickstarter again. They were deceptive about what would be exclusive to backers as opposed to people who purchased from a online retailer. It seems like all the backers get is a cheap, shitty necklace and some tarot cards. No real exclusive packaging or box. Apparently the backer collector's edition includes foil lettering instead of the standard black lettering but who gives a shit.

They were actually fairly open about all of that. A pretty sizable number of people dropped out, including myself, after looking over the details and getting feedback from them as to what the differences and exclusives would be.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
whoo... I saw this and had to take a close look to make sure I got everything properly and that it was all in order. looks like outside of the typo on the certificate everything was in perfect order. I'm so relived, especially since I was already stressed out for other reasons and didn't need anything else to make it worse. I don't think my crappy health could take any more stress.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
idkAlan wrote:
Funny thing, is that this is the second news tip that I've done for ANN.

The first was when Viz had a misprint with their disk covers on the first Sailor Moon limited edition.

Now the second tip is Funimation's screw up for their Kickstarter backers.

The difference between the 2 was that at least Viz acknowledge the complaints and issued a resolution way before it became a bigger issue.

... wasn't that the release where the video quality was abysmal and then Viz shamelessly denied the issue time and again, even when ANNCast pressed them on it?

He's actually referring to Sailor Moon R, there was a few copies of Part 1 which was missing the inside artwork (mine being one of them) so Viz recommended people call WB by phone for replacements (and WB's customer service was terrible for most people who tried that). Of course that issue wasn't as bad compared to what Part 2 had.
Treiz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Got mine in. One of the clips that holds the third disc in place was broken in the BD case, but apart from that and the typo everything is fine. Wasn't very impressed with the way my items were packed, in a big box to fit the poster but my discs and card pack were just flopping around on the inside. Crying or Very sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
If the video and audio quality are good, I couldn't care less about packaging problems. But then, I wasn't a Kickstarter supporter, and will just be buying the regular edition. If I paid extra, I'd be a little miffed about these mistakes, too.

Those pendants look like cheap Christmas tree lights, not like Hitomi's pendant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm not keeping a list or anything (perhaps I should though...) but it'd be interesting to see the issues Funimation have had so far this year. I felt they had growing problems last year and it looks like that's just snowballed in 2016.

Luckily i've not sent a $ their way in a long time.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I was much more excited to see what CR would come up with for their own releases than having Funi put stuff out. I have literally 0 faith in their ability as a company right now.

I was thinking the other day that if Crunchyroll is going to control most of the licenses of new series going forward and partnered up with Funimation for dubs and physical releases, they should also partner up with other companies for physical distribution.

Crunchyroll could let Sentai handle sub-only stuff and have Discotek, NISA and Nozomi handle selected titles, like old shows, shorts and super niche stuff.
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
My case, sleeve, & the art insert to part 1 are damaged. Also, the stamping on part one disc two & part two disc two where the disc number & episodes are labeled are blurry compared to the first disc in each part. The movie disc is stamped fine btw. Is this a manufacturing defect?

Also I did not receive the DVD set too. On top of that my poster has blotchy va signatures, which, I believe, was caused by the posters being laid on top of each other before having a chance to dry. I believe this because the poster has partial blotchy signatures on the back of it. Is this normal? This is the first poster I have had signed, so I don't know if this is common practice. Btw the certification card's typo bothers me too.

Overall I'm somewhat disappointed, but I'm happy about having The Vision of Escaflowne on Blu-ray. I just wish the ks would have gone more smoothly without the errors.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
I'm not keeping a list or anything (perhaps I should though...) but it'd be interesting to see the issues Funimation have had so far this year. I felt they had growing problems last year and it looks like that's just snowballed in 2016.

Someone is keeping a list though: https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=779846
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
For my fifth time buying the series (LDs, Anime Village VHS, Bandai R1 DVDs, and the JP Blu-ray box so far), I wasn't interested in buying Funimation's release. The Kickstarter concept behind it just didn't appeal. I've had an order with AmazonUK since March for the Anime Limited release. I think that I read somewhere that Justin Sevakis is handling the authoring of their Blu-rays...

It won't be the first Anime Limited release that I've purchased (although I don't own any of their Aniplex titles). ^_^
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

I've got a list (some are nitpicks, others are serious issues), and good gawd what has been going on in 2016 alone...
https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=779846
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
Anyone who's ever ordered anything from FUNimation's online store shouldn't be surprised at all that items are arriving damaged. The third-party fulfillment outfit they use has no concept whatsoever of how to properly handle or safely package anything.

Yeah, I ordered from them once. Got a refund and will never order from their store again. That was nearly 2 years ago. I can't even wrap my head around why they are still using the same people. Sorry to be so rude, but this is pure incompetence.

Ajc228 wrote:
Never supporting a Funimation Kickstarter again. They were deceptive about what would be exclusive to backers as opposed to people who purchased from a online retailer. It seems like all the backers get is a cheap, shitty necklace and some tarot cards. No real exclusive packaging or box. Apparently the backer collector's edition includes foil lettering instead of the standard black lettering but who gives a shit.

They were actually fairly open about all of that. A pretty sizable number of people dropped out, including myself, after looking over the details and getting feedback from them as to what the differences and exclusives would be.

The fact that you and other people had to get "feedback" from them is a problem. There should have been a clear and concise description of the differences or lack there of in the retail vs. Kickstarter package. If the description was clear in the first place, you and many others wouldn't have dropped out after the fact. I'm not trying to be a jerk but there was a clear communication problem if people were Atleast initially confused by the description.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Well this is annoying if this can happen with Funimation makes me worried about the kodomo no jikan Kicjstarter I backed but that's on DMP's head if they screw up still this has got to be really annoying.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I haven't gotten my Escaflowne collectors edition yet so I'm hoping that they fix the problem before sending me my copy and although I'm still a loyal Funimation fan I can't help but to be a little disappointed by all this. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5