• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Film Earns 14.56 Billion Yen to Top Last Samurai, E.T. in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
It's just the typical contrarian mindset that a lot of anime fans have. The moment anything becomes widely popular they'll do anything in their power to make sure everyone knows how meh it is

Bull's eye. It's probably the fact that they believe anime is part of an obscure subculture that most mundanes can't comprehend or may readily dislike, so when there's an anime that is so popular it may catch the attention of regular people, they ask the fatal question of "But is it better than my favorite anime?" And so the layers of preconceptions form... They may even blame the "meh-ness" on flawed objective writing factors, despite these being by-products most of the time and having little to do with the quality of what you're watching (or the reason of why they dislike it at all). But on any regular day you'll see them tell people to go into Cowboy Bebop with zero expectations...

It's simple to spot these kinds of people though. Normally when people watch something they don't consider amazing, they put it down. But when it has high acclaim it will go from "decent" to "irredeemably offensive". So, people who actively hate it must have underlying motives.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so with mainstream things you either love it, or youre a hipster contrarian?
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Not at all. It has more-so to do with the condescending tone and cynical attitude that a lot of anime fans have. It's all about how they compose themselves. But saying stuff like "haven't seen this yet, but I'm 80% sure it's just OK, and just getting a lot of hype" just makes you come off as intentionally trying to stir the pot and actively expecting to dislike things. Also, name dropping as meaningless a buzzword as "hype" doesn't do much at all to make a point these days. It's the lazy alternative to actual counter-argumentation.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't think stating that something seems just OK is bad, because I personally enjoy going into something with the mentioned "meh" attitude. I see it as a good middle ground, and I believe it's a projects job to raise your opinion of it. Like, with Zootopia, I saw it after hearing all the buzz, but when in there thinking "I hope it's at least OK ". Came out thinking " wow, that was really good!"

Of course, not everyone has to approach things the same way I do, but I find going into something "meh" keeps the fanboy in me from ignoring the flaws, and keeps the picky side from focusing only on the flaws.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
I don't think stating that something seems just OK is bad, because I personally enjoy going into something with the mentioned "meh" attitude. I see it as a good middle ground, and I believe it's a projects job to raise your opinion of it. Like, with Zootopia, I saw it after hearing all the buzz, but when in there thinking "I hope it's at least OK ". Came out thinking " wow, that was really good!".

I did want to mention as an interesting point, to my understanding there have been studies done that suggest the overall perceived quality of a work is oftentimes relative to how much it exceeded expectations. My memory is a bit vague, but I think people who were given low expectations of media content that they ultimately enjoyed wound up rating the work higher than people who had no expectations in the first place, since the experience of the work "being better than expected" added to a positive experience. The inverse is also true --- going into a work with high expectations makes it difficult for the work to meet those expectations, and so an excellent film may result in a poor experience for not being as good as you wanted.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
I don't think stating that something seems just OK is bad, because I personally enjoy going into something with the mentioned "meh" attitude. I see it as a good middle ground, and I believe it's a projects job to raise your opinion of it. Like, with Zootopia, I saw it after hearing all the buzz, but when in there thinking "I hope it's at least OK ". Came out thinking " wow, that was really good!"

Of course, not everyone has to approach things the same way I do, but I find going into something "meh" keeps the fanboy in me from ignoring the flaws, and keeps the picky side from focusing only on the flaws.

I can sympathize with that, I always try to keep my expectations tempered as well. But I don't attempt to claim that I'm overwhelmingly sure that it'll be lame either. "Good" is my highest expectation, generally. Regardless, maybe you'll end up loving this if that's your method.

It's funny, I felt the exact opposite with Zootopia. I went in after hearing all the buzz hoping it would be really impressive, but left thinking it was just "okay." I felt that the groundbreaking social commentary wasn't the most clear/consistent and got in the way of telling an actually original and compelling story. I did like the main characters well enough though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2