• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Unclaimed as of this point is Fune o Amu, which is due on the 13th. If it gets claimed and actually streams on Wednesday then I'm guessing that it will be the last one. (And I'm suspecting it will since CR still has two "To Be Announced" slots for the season.)

Considering it is in the NoitaminA block, I'm guessing that it will be Amazon's. Also it airs Thursday not Wednesday

March Comes in Like a Lion: Not enough head tilts. Is this even a Shaft production?

Criticisms made entirely in jest aside, I thoroughly enjoyed the show, both the more somber portions to the more lighthearted parts. The visuals were excellent but I also like the music, and not just the Bump of the Chicken OP and ED (Side question: how common is it to have the same artist do both the the opening and ending themes?). It clearly communicated the tone and demarcated the different tonal sections. I would like to see more of the shogi. And Rebecca has it right. It is three sisters, not a mother and two children.

Poco's Udon World: Very cute. Sweetness and Lightning has certainly gotten me interested in shows with single guys raising small children. This will fill that gap since I finished both Sweetness and Lightning and Usagi Drop recently. And it looks to be a decent SoL as well.

Long Riders: Nice to see this kind of show based around college students rather than the usual high schoolers though I guess their higher age makes the moe seem more infantalizing relatively. Yeah I don't get the blushed knees either, and I've watched plenty such shows. And this doesn't look to be Bakuon without motors as Long Riders doesn't appear all that fanservicey. As to serious female sports anime, there's definitely a need for it. Say what you will about Keijo!!!!!!!! but it is certainly not moe, though it is not serious in the desired way, and it isn't really what people looking for better female sports anime are looking for.

And @Mochisandwich welcome to the 20+ show club. I'm looking at about the same number of shows myself.

Edit: Just watched Occultic;Nine and that was definitely a hot mess. The show was downright manic at times and not in a good way. I have to agree with Rebecca on the one character's bust being absurdly ludicrous and almost grotesque for her frame. Looks more like she is carrying two large hams in her shirt. A hard no unless the internet hive mind thinks otherwise later, even without considering how many shows I'm already watching in the 11:45 to 1:30 ET window Saturdays (four).

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
I sort of liked the speed of Occultic;Nine. Not an actual mess, just a lot of images presented in short order to match the fast dialog and story pace Cool However, Miss Ultra-C is a huge (pun intended) distraction and takes away from what could be charming. Wonder if she won't be revealed as an alien? I want that poya-gun too, though it doesn't seem to do much. Anyway, I'm only watching BBK/BRNK (why haven't the weekly reviews on that restarted like they did for Re:Zero?) so I might add O;9.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Valhern wrote:
And...I think we're wrapping up, aren't we? Today was Izetta's 2nd episode, which felt like a dread to watch, I don't know if I'll care after episode 3...

At the very least we have Girlish Number officially streaming on the 12th.

CR also has Soul Buster, which is supposed to normally stream Tuesday mornings but we're still waiting for the first episode.

Unclaimed as of this point is Fune o Amu, which is due on the 13th. If it gets claimed and actually streams on Wednesday then I'm guessing that it will be the last one. (And I'm suspecting it will since CR still has two "To Be Announced" slots for the season.)

Also expect to see something on the shorts (like what we did last season) at some point, probably Tuesday. (And man, it seems like there's a lot more shorts this season, so picking the top ones could be tough. . .)

Well, that's good, since I don't think about watching any of those weekly, though, Fune o Amu might be interesting to binge when the season is done, I plan to watch all the stuff I put on-hold by the end of this season. I already am sure what I am going to watch.

"Will watch as soon as possible screw studying" anime:
Hibike! Euphonium
Yuri!!! ON ICE
Flip Flappers

"Can wait till the calm night to watch" anime:
Sangatsu no Lion
Keijo!!!!!!!!
Drifters
All Out!!

"Expecting legitimate reason to drop" anime:

Shakunetsu no Takkyu Musume
Long Riders!
Shuumatsu no Izetta
Nanbaka

And the on-going stuff: JoJo and Pokémon Sun/Moon, of course.

If Sangatsu no Lion isn't on my top list is because I only knew it was a good manga or something from a friend, but I can see it working it's way up. Nanbaka, Izetta, and Riders have the "possibly quite boring" tag for me, whereas Shakunetsu can just derail and screw up horribly in a few episodes and I'll know when to drop the ball.

A total of 13 anime without To be hero which is a short, with a high possibility of becoming 10, which is perfect for me to watch Slayers or anything else along the way.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote
Superficially, I can't hate a series that has characters that look like Eden of the East's (no surprise there) and Your Lie in April's (is Rei a ringer for Kousei, or what), and has OP and ED songs by Bump of Chicken. Smile But even without those perks, I think I'd still love March comes in like a lion (why aren't the main title words capped? If the sport wasn't Shogi, the title would be all caps.). Anyway, it's got just the right amount of Shaftiness to delight my eyes without scrambling my brain, and terrific body-language animation that evokes depression as effectively as that in Shouwa Rakugo. They'll have to work really, really hard to mess this one up.

Btw, was that first insert song in Japanese? Question

So how does an anime with character designs lifted right out of Handa-kun not have any staff aside from a couple of seiyuu in common? Did they think that cribbing story beats from Barakamon make Handa-kun the go-to for visuals? Smile Anyway, I enjoyed Poco's Udon World for what it had to offer, and it fills the previously vacant slot for laid-back sol in my queue, so I'm in.

So, Occultic;Nine...dude, if you're in high school you're not a NEET. Did you forget what the first 'E' stands for? Somehow, despite wondering how Ta-tas, I mean Ryo-tas could sit up, let alone jump, I managed to make it through the whole episode, so I know it has a kicky ED song. But throughout the run-time my finger was glued to the pause button so I could read all the on-screen text and dialog. This made it actually twice as long to watch, though it seemed like it took three times that. As much as I love supernatural anime, I'm not sure I want to put myself through any more of this.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Valhern wrote:
And...I think we're wrapping up, aren't we? Today was Izetta's 2nd episode, which felt like a dread to watch, I don't know if I'll care after episode 3...

At the very least we have Girlish Number officially streaming on the 12th.

CR also has Soul Buster, which is supposed to normally stream Tuesday mornings but we're still waiting for the first episode.

Also expect to see something on the shorts (like what we did last season) at some point, probably Tuesday. (And man, it seems like there's a lot more shorts this season, so picking the top ones could be tough. . .)

You left out Stella no Mahō, which Daisuki will start streaming on the 10th.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
What I saw on Saturday and my thoughts:

The first half of March Comes In Like a Lion felt like being stuck in a sensory deprivation chamber it was claustrophobic uncomfortable and felt way too much like ways I've felt in the past. this is high praise as often fictionalized depression get written as "Character X is really, really, sad."

And the more "sludgy" emotionally burned out elements of it are not explored that being depressed you can look "normal" and this normally is a facade. So for the first half March Comes In Like A Lion is superb. While the second half does inject some much-needed humor Rei for his part feels distant and the second chapter is almost completely owned by Hina and Hanazawa, Kana's performance as her.

Poco's Udon World is adorable but I'm also thankful to see a 30-year-old protagonist in Souta Tawara and the emotions feel honest I almost wonder if this could become something like "Wolf Children for guys" as is it is a sweet series with some dark undertones that I enjoy watching if only because it is so light after the heaviness of March Comes In Like a Lion.

Classicaloid: this is a series I was excited about since it's announcement in July 2015 and the first episode does nothing to quell that excitement making for an absurd visual spectacle. With Tomokazu Sugita as Beethoven stealing the show and capturing the raw emotion and Joie de vivre of the music if Sound Euphonium is all about the personal problems that go into making music and the clash of personalities involved,

Classicaloid is the pure Dionysian enjoyment of the music. Where future episodes will lead I know not but when it is the inescapably weird and mirth filled I don't really care.

Long Riders: This is a series I honestly want to be easy on because it's endearing I like all the characters and I know the story is going to go exactly where I think it is going to go but I want to see Ami succeed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
I often don't post in this particular type of topic because it is hard for it to be ordered with a particularly show, but having watched most of the season I thought I might give my current thoughts.

Bloodivores: You can feel some similarities here to last season's The Outcast, although so far feels a little less gross. This could be the same sort of watch.

Izetta: The Last Witch: A fantastic first episode that in some ways does not feel that different from Maria the Virgin Witch, but kind of really works with this strong female lead and the WW2 period setting.

Magical Girl Raising Project: Dark magical girl shows are one of my kind of favourite genre, not just Madoka but Daybreak Illusion and to a lesser extent Yuki Yuna, they added some interesting things like a male magical girl, so I am in.

WWW.WAGNARIA!!: I spent a good deal of the episode kind of waiting for Popura, not literally expecting her to show up but she has felt like such an essential part of the setting that this similar one without her feels lonely. There are a cast of new characters to love, and it might take a little bit to really appreciate them. For some reason it also felt more broken up with the different skits.

BUBUKI/BURANKI: The Gentle Giants of the Galaxy: I actually really liked this first episode, it feels like they really found the balance with their animation style the old characters were great, and the final return of Kaoruko was fantastic in how over the top she was. I am really excited for this season.

Tiger Mask W: I already feel that it is probably not for me, I really have no interest in wrestling, and the episode did not change it. The only thing that kind of grabbed my attention is that it was somewhat novel that it was like the plot of wrestling being taken seriously.

Magic-Kyun! Renaissance: Reverse harems have been among the things that are not normally my thing (not target market) but I like to give them a go to experience different things, and Kamigami was one I enjoyed. So far Magic-kyun seems kind of on the right path to be interesting with a lead with a personality and all.

Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru: This feels like a gender swap version of Kan Colle but with swords instead of ships, and while I was not much of a fan of that, I don't feel like too much of a fan of this. It does make me feel less uncomfortable at least, it is not so much of a touchy subject as Japan during WW2. But I am not too interested, I kept getting distracted while watching.

Show By Rock!!#: A bit surprised that this was getting a second season, the end felt pretty final. Regardless it feels like it has some heart, Shingan Crimsonz are still awesome, the scene Cyan was in was pretty good, there is some fun dorkiness to it all, and the ED animation was fantastic.

Trickster: Kind of feels a bit like the weird mix of Game of Laplace and maybe something like Psycho-Pass, and I am not really much of a fan. The owl and the girl behind it were kind of interesting, and I am interested to see where it goes.

Scorching Ping Pong Girls: I like it, general cute girls doing cute things are kind of okay for me, and there seems to be a bit of a plot here with one character afraid of losing her ace status to someone else.

Matoi the Sacred Slayer: I think so far it is a bit early to tell, it has some magical girl aspects that will probably keep me watching, so I am probably in, and I am curious about what will happen.

NANBAKA: The jokes mostly fell flat for me, the only thing that got a chuckle was I think how the angry Doberman got turned fluffy and docile.

Sound! Euphonium 2: I actually really appreciated this double length first episode, and although I knew that it felt a little long and a lot happen, it was not until the end that I realised that it had gone a full 47 minutes. One thing I want is for a distinction being made in this anime if there is actual romance going on, or is KyoAni teasing us, because it feels wasteful to put so much energy into it.

Yuri!!! On ICE: And this is why I like to try things a bit out of my comfort zone, because just looking at the artwork made me not expect much, but I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode.

Brave Witches: Strike Witches has been on my list of things to try for some time, but the infamy has been enough just not to start, but I thought that if this was somewhat separate than I could start here. I thought that it was mostly okay, the bloomers are a bit uncomfortable to watch so far, but I will watch some more.

FLIP FLAPPERS: And this has been my favourite first episode of the season, I am quite frankly surprised that this came from neither Gainax or Trigger, but it was a spectacle for the eyes and imagination. I am totally in.

Keijo!!!!!!!!: There is no way that this first episode should be enjoyable, I watched that girl wrestling anime ages back and could barely take the first episode, but this was actually pretty enjoyable. I think that it comes down to the girls not being quite humiliated and a lack of embarrassment, instead feeling for a lack of a better term 'empowered', that it is on the girls' terms.

Drifters: I have been a fan of Hellsing, so I recognised the design of its author, well to be honest it took till seeing the guy who looks like a fusion of Anderson and The Major. A little strong on the historical context I don't know about, but it made me actually interested in something that starred a Nobunaga.

Lostorage incited WIXOSS: I had low expectations because after two seasons the answer seems to be not to play and there should be little surprises, but to my actual surprise it feels like there is a twist on everything I expected. Deciding not to battle is not an option, the LRIGs seem a little different, and males are also in on it now. Although knowledge of the first season does not seem important, there appears to be a couple maybe Easter eggs or allusions to the other two seasons.

Haikyu!! Season 3: Good to be back with Haikyu, it is the series that has shown that I can really like some male centred sports anime. A quick effortless rehash to the personalities of the characters, a kind of bloated introduction to the new team, and a set up of the game's spectators. I expect it to be a long match going over a large number of episodes, and I expect to fully enjoy that and learn to also like all of the new characters.

Kiss Him, Not Me!: The 'fat voice' kind of ruined this first episode, I don't think it was necessary to make her such a joke when she was overweight. I do think there was some decent humour in the second half where she slips out of her beauty mode when she gets super fujoshi, even her voice change then is kind of funny. Maybe it would have been better if that voice was just when she was in fujoshi mode.

ClassicaLoid: Yeah, I kind of liked this, how wacky it got and the voice work of Sugita as Beethoven was great, similar to how he was the best part of Cheer Boys, but overall it looks fun.
Ambulator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
I was ready to skip March comes in like a lion until I saw that the only two reviews were fives. I wish I had skipped that boring and ugly mess. Now I see that Theron has added a review that seems more sane to me, though I still think he rated it too high. 1/5

Poco's Udon World was only ok. 3/5, but they better start explaining why that kid is there next episode.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
You left out Stella no Mahō, which Daisuki will start streaming on the 10th.

So I did! I had totally forgotten that it's on a full week delay. That means we have potentially four titles left.

Honestly, i was a bit worried about this season at first, but now I don't think I'll have any problem filling my viewing list out for the season. There are already 9-10 series that I'll at least give a second episode to, so I expect to easily be able to settle into my normal 7-8 per season.

The one that's 100% certain to be on that list is Izetta. Episode 2 was everything that I would want it to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
I realise that all OP and ED songs aren't necessarily revealed in the first week, but is anyone aware of a list anywhere of such songs? It would be good to be familiar with them in time for Animax Musix Yokohama (23 November 2016): https://musix.animax.co.jp/.

If you can cope with the Japanese, either by knowing the language or using an online translation service, fan selection voting is open until 22nd October for Yokohama, if there are any OP/ED songs in this season that you'd love to hear covered by the artists appearing: https://musix.animax.co.jp/form/fanselection_yokohama.html.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:43 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Is it really too much to ask to have a women's sports anime that isn't moe? Action and adventure anime can do it, why not sports? Would it be that threatening? I'd even settle for having a couple of characters with ridiculous boob physics if they truly took it seriously otherwise. Maybe the upcoming Olympics there will inspire someone?

Well, you'd have to have a consensus on what is moe. Is a cast full of cute girls inherently moe? Consider a show like Taisho Baseball Girls where the main conflict involves a cast of cute girls attempting to play baseball in order to attempt to assert some level of gender equality in post WWI Japan. If you were to watch the first episode, would the cast simply being cute girls fumbling around trying to learn baseball fundamentals be enough for you to label it moe? Cause if all it takes is cute girls who are not initially competent in the sport then I would say the odds of a female team sports anime that passes your measure of not-moe to be highly unlikely.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
The blushing knees are actually an artistic choice that I usually don't like but I don't think they're supposed to show any kind of injury, same with the blushing shoulders. Also, I have barely watched sports anime with girls, I think that Chihayafuru might be the one that takes the sport as serious as any other, except karuta is not a particularly action heavy sport so it's not that they have injuries but the stress plays a huge part on it. Kaleido Star if acrobatics counts as sport is a valid choice too. I've been told about Princess Nine (baseball) and Yawara (judo).

I know it's an artistic choice, since the only things that make just the knees red is pressure (like kneeling), abrasion, or a skin disease. It's just a stupid one, since only one of those things could be remotely construed as sexy (ok, maybe two, depending on your kink).

As for sports, Chihayafuru and Kaleido Star were taken relatively seriously because they had male participants alongside the females (and KS had the fantasy element of Fool, who I adore, but which lent it a more "girly" vibe). Princess Nine spent most of its time just trying to form a team out of misfits who had no previous interest, so there was a lot of clumsy and incompetence to go with the ace pitcher and her snobby tennis ace rival (plus the romance on the side). In other words, nice series, but not what I'm looking for. From the two episodes of Taishou Baseball Girls that I saw, it was the same problem, different era. What little I've seen of Yawara seemed like a comedy, I don't even remember much in the way of actual judo ("fashionable" is in the title for a reason), and iirc, she didn't really want to be doing judo anyway. And her grandfather... Nope.

Megiddo wrote:
If you were to watch the first episode, would the cast simply being cute girls fumbling around trying to learn baseball fundamentals be enough for you to label it moe? Cause if all it takes is cute girls who are not initially competent in the sport then I would say the odds of a female team sports anime that passes your measure of not-moe to be highly unlikely.

Pretty much, and I agree. I'm looking for a gender swapped Haikyuu (we got a taste of it in Haikyuu itself with the girls' team, but most of their players weren't serious, and they were just a side story, but it was nice while it lasted), or Ace of Diamond type show (good sports would be tennis, volleyball, soccer - I'd say swimming, but we know how that would turn out) where there's an existing, competitive team that girls want to play for and prove themselves good enough to make the team, and all those other shounen sports tropes. God help us, Keijo is about as close as we've come! Maybe some of the magic school shows, but I want something from real life.

Japan has seriously world class volleyball and soccer teams - where in the hell do they field those women from if there's such a dearth of serious female athletes as anime would lead one to believe? How do those women learn their sport at the level to compete among (or be) the best of the best, if they're not starting in high school or earlier?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:48 am Reply with quote
Finished watching the first episode of Brave Witches. Pretty nice for a first episode. Though I have to say, their father is the most non-interested parent I have seen in a while. At least, they have parents. Madoka Magica showed you could have active parents, at least for Madoka herself.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:05 am Reply with quote
Watched more stuff.

Kiss Him, Not Me - 2/5. I kinda want to see where this goes, but I'm also kinda...really uncomfortable with some of the content? Other posters discussed this already. I'll probably give this show a dubious shot, though. I'm hoping that one guy doesn't turn out to be a superficial asshole, at least?

Classicaloid - 2/5. I really love classical music, so I was looking forward to this show...but there were so many obnoxious characters. I wanted the cast to shut up at several points, though the zany musical number was fun. Another dubious second episode for me.

Occultic;Nine - 1/5. Speaking of obnoxious characters! Good lord, I wanted to shut this one off halfway through. I hated the main kid especially, the fast talking was SO ANNOYING oh my god. The big-boobed girl too. None of the other characters were appealing either, and there were some stereotypes I'm really tired of added in. This was one giant nope for me.

March Comes in Like a Lion - 5/5. And this one...wow. Made me feel some things. The depiction of depression sort of touched right on that feel and it nearly made me want to cry. It was almost too real. Definitely watching more.
synaia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:09 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Key wrote:

Considering it is in the NoitaminA block, I'm guessing that it will be Amazon's. Also it airs Thursday not Wednesday

Yup will be Amazon with that NoitaminA deal they have for a year but then again ANN didn't review Vivid Strike yet which is also airing on Amazon prime (UK), I can imagine though that there's nobody on the reviewer staff that lives in the UK so they can't review the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 38