• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
For several episodes now, iconic OSTs from the first show were played sparingly during "high value" scenes, dramatic or action ones, which further solidify the notion that the TV series, as a whole, is coming to an end -- spoiler[even if only for the current generation].

About the battle sequences in the Final Valley, it naturally reminiscent of other fight scenes throughout the show's run, but the one that resonated the most for me was the Madara vs the Alliance Army, in episode #322 (damn, that feels so long time ago).
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Feels like it's been a hundred or so episodes since I could genuinely say this, but damn - the start of this final duel was legitimately fantastic. Hopefully they maintain this quality throughout the show's ending.
Tajima

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Feels like it's been a hundred or so episodes since I could genuinely say this, but damn - the start of this final duel was legitimately fantastic. Hopefully they maintain this quality throughout the show's ending.

That consists of one more episode, so it shouldn't be hard.

Then, filler forever (and Boruto, meh).
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Excellent point! I am not yet convinced they can do two great episodes in a row without interleaving 6 months worth of filler, but I hope they exceed my expectations twice in a row. Razz
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
As it turns out, it was too optimistic of me to expect this week's episode to get to the end of chapter 699, but since the next one has the same title as the manga's final chapter, maybe we'll actually get to the end next week.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
From what I know is that they are going to adapt some of the Light Novels as well. Not sure if they do that after they finished the manga source or if they drag the true ending out and adapt all the novels before.

Also was is just me or did Naruto and Sasuke look incredibly weird at the ending of the episode. Almost reminded me of a Cutscene from a Naruto Game.
Sango chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I Really rather them Animate Sarada's Manga instead of having a S*** ton of Filler until They do the novels. Unless they are NaruHIna things. I also was hoping they would wrap things up in the next two episodes. so much for that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, if not alone, but I enjoyed 478 much more than 476-7. Maybe I was just burned out from the waiting game, but while the final battle was something to see and beautifully animated and directed, I just couldn't get into it at all. I did like the imagery showing their growth from childhood to this inevitable climax, but I dunno, Sasuke's martyrdom complex wasn't making this seem any less pointless.

On the other hand, this episode's denouement totally worked for me. The "padding" Amy complained about felt like an appropriate recap of the themes of the series at this point (in other episodes I'll admit it has been padding, but not here), and in context the familiar scenes were endowed with a more poignant resonance. I especially liked the long silences with no music or dialog. And when there was music, it was quite evocative. Though I'm not sure of the in-universe explanation, the chance for them to see things literally through the other's eyes was a believable motivator for change. It was moving when Sasuke finally realized he was part of the group after all. (and yes, I realize the whole redemption thing is problematic after all the death and destruction he's been responsible for with his extended pity-party, but then again, the old bats in the Leaf Village who set all this in motion and have a great deal more blood on their hands get off scott free, so...)

When they did the reveal of their blood flowing together in place of their missing limbs, I kinda rolled my eyes at the cheesiness of it, but when the camera pulled back to show us where they were lying, I just laughed and thought, "Ok, you got me. Well done." Not quite sure why that salvaged the moment for me, but it was a really nice touch.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
That wasn't padding Amy, that was a slow and tempered pace for the most pivotal moment for the second-most important character in the anime. It had to be believable, and revisiting all those scenes with Sasuke and Naruto were necessary to lead to that moment at the end of the episode when he finally realizes that he belongs next to his friend who can change universes. Do you think it would have been satisfying if he'd said "oh hey dude you were right" at the beginning of the episode? It really wouldn't have.

Despite the beauty of the fight sequence in 476 and 477, *this* was the episode I've been waiting for, and it was worth the wait.
Fainaru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I've really appreciated the little things in these last episodes. The lack of a backing track in places really highlighted the seriousness of the fight and i love that spoiler[ sasuke was hitting naruto which stopped him forming seals. One thing that always bugged me was how everyone always stood about watching their enemies pulling moves off without thinking maaaybe just maybe i should interrupt that]

Future wise i really want to see how spoiler[sakura and sasuke reconcile, i know the manga shows a scene that's really important but i feel like i deserve more of that. Also i'd like to see what happens with karin and sasuke, whether he addresses her love for him or if he just brushes it under the carpet]

I enjoyed boruto, i hope they milk this series, i can't imagine life without it
Daelowsensei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed boruto, i hope they milk this series, i can't imagine life without it[/quote]

So glad I'm not the only one that wants this haha
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
What's interesting is that "Shippuden" episode 380 will be the overall 700th TV episode. This will be a rare case of the anime getting more TV episodes than the # of regularly-serialized chapters the manga source has. With this, I am counting the "Naruto" manga itself and not the 2 manga spin-off/sequels.
Daelowsensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:48 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
What's interesting is that "Shippuden" episode 380 will be the overall 700th TV episode. This will be a rare case of the anime getting more TV episodes than the # of regularly-serialized chapters the manga source has. With this, I am counting the "Naruto" manga itself and not the 2 manga spin-off/sequels.

MaxGoof

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
I don't understand this episode review. Naruto never received the rank of jonin in this episode--Kakashi even told him he'd like to grant him that title but couldn't.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
Why Naruto will never end

TV Tokyo is 14.4 billion 23 million yen (up 74.4%), gross profit has surged 4.8 billion 89 million yen (up 102.0%) sales
Sales
1.Naruto
2.Yo-kai Watch
3.Gintama
4.Yu-Gi-Oh!
5.Pokemon

Gross Profit
1.Yo-kai Watch
2.Naruto
3.Pokemon
4.Gintama
5.Yu-Gi-Oh!
source: http://www.animeanime.biz/archives/22740
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 44