• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School: Future Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Was anyone else surprised to hear a song by Hide in the ending credits? He's one of my favorite musicians, so when Ever Free started playing I literally paused the video to make sure I wasn't just hearing things or hadn't accidentally somehow had it playing in another tab or something, haha.

I'd wondered for a while if the creators of Dangan Ronpa were fans of him, given that Souda totally looks like he was designed with him in mind, and I guess that confirms it.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They were all moved to an underwater facility after being knocked out, so why didn't he leave Mitarai behind and come up with an excuse!? That was his golden opportunity to get the guy out! Wait, if Tengan reportedly had no accomplices, how did he move everybody to begin with?!
The conference room was an elevator, and moved the entire group at once. Kyoko mentioned this in an earlier episode.

Quote:
The only character among them who did something "wrong" without being coerced or tricked into it was Hajime, and even then he wasn't really aware of the consequences to becoming Izuru Kamukura.
Let's just ignore that Fuyuhiko murdered someone way before Junko Enoshima came along. Nobody cares about the Reserve Course students, anyway.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Let's just ignore that Fuyuhiko murdered someone way before Junko Enoshima came along. Nobody cares about the Reserve Course students, anyway.

See that makes it worse: he isn't talking about needing to atone for that. They're talking about all needing to atone for becoming Remnants of Despair, but the whole murder thing is completely swept under the rug and never mentioned again. Anime dazed
J0HN_L0CKE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:31 am Reply with quote
I was satisfied and loved all of it. This is now my favorite anime ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:03 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
wolf10 wrote:

See that makes it worse: he isn't talking about needing to atone for that. They're talking about all needing to atone for becoming Remnants of Despair, but the whole murder thing is completely swept under the rug and never mentioned again. Anime dazed

I wouldnt be surprised if they conceived of the ending first, and just didn't bother to re-write it when the plot basically makes it clear that the only sin class 77-B made was walking into a trap.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote
Who were those characters in the weird sunglasses in the Hope Arc fighting against the Remnants of Despair? They didn't look like rando security types, but I don't think I've seen them before, either. I was hoping Jake would make some mention of them in his review, but I guess not.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Who were those characters in the weird sunglasses in the Hope Arc fighting against the Remnants of Despair? They didn't look like rando security types, but I don't think I've seen them before, either. I was hoping Jake would make some mention of them in his review, but I guess not.

I was under the impression they were former graduates of Hope's Peak, which is why they had "important character" hair, but no real role to play because now they're acting as grunts. But yeah, they weren't anyone you were supposed to recognize, no worries.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I was under the impression they were former graduates of Hope's Peak, which is why they had "important character" hair, but no real role to play because now they're acting as grunts. But yeah, they weren't anyone you were supposed to recognize, no worries.

I choose to interpret it as "I designed way more than 16 characters for Danganronpa 2, it would be a shame to let them go to waste".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, good to know! Like I said in an earlier post, as a non-player of the games, I really depended on your backgrounding and contextualization to help guide me through Future & Despair.
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Like Blood, I haven't played the games. So I assumed they were called "Remnants" of Despair because most were dead. Guess not. I wonder if there was an intended underlying message in that the most despairing remnant was the anime geek. Last thought, one episode does not constitute an arc. More please.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:39 am Reply with quote
Sloppy_Jimbo wrote:
I wonder if there was an intended underlying message in that the most despairing remnant was the anime geek.
I thought of Mitarai as the author-insert for Seiji Kishi (who also did the DR1 anime and the anime cutscenes for UDG), as paired with Junko standing in for Kodaka. Since lately people have been ringing a death knell for the age of despair-filled otaku anime, and Kishi is a director who made a name for himself with shows that work through hopelessness to end on a hopeful note (like Angel Beats!), I'd say it's a fairly appropriate (and topical) ending on a meta level as well.
Yourewrong9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I will say this since nobody seems to say it. The BD will most likely include bonus scenes and details they rushed. Sure the whole laziness of Mitarai in the anime wont really be changed however they will most likely show stuff we haven't seen because they tried to fit too much into one episodespoiler[Like for example how Hajime took care of the ones who were actually supposed to be vegetable(the ones that died in DR2) They will propably also wait for BD to show Hajime fight Mitarai's army. Sure they cant change the whole fact that Tengan wanted to destroy the Future Foundation to convince Mitarai which i think is really unfortunate But not that bad. The thing i wanted to see the most in D3 was the cast of D2 smilling so i was really happy about that.]
Renasviel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Yourewrong9 wrote:
I will say this since nobody seems to say it. The BD will most likely include bonus scenes and details they rushed. Sure the whole laziness of Mitarai in the anime wont really be changed however they will most likely show stuff we haven't seen because they tried to fit too much into one episodespoiler[Like for example how Hajime took care of the ones who were actually supposed to be vegetable(the ones that died in DR2) They will propably also wait for BD to show Hajime fight Mitarai's army. Sure they cant change the whole fact that Tengan wanted to destroy the Future Foundation to convince Mitarai which i think is really unfortunate But not that bad. The thing i wanted to see the most in D3 was the cast of D2 smilling so i was really happy about that.]

I think it's more likely they firstly address the animation errors and QUALITY that occurred towards the end. I mean, there might be a couple more scenes but I doubt it will be much.

You seem pretty happy with the series overall, which is fine (I wouldn't even say I'm unhappy myself), but the major problems I did have aren't likely to be addressed by adding a few more minutes worth of scenes. Which is why I personally never mentioned the possibility because most of the time these scenes are rather negligible.
Yourewrong9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You seem pretty happy with the series overall, which is fine (I wouldn't even say I'm unhappy myself), but the major problems I did have aren't likely to be addressed by adding a few more minutes worth of scenes. Which is why I personally never mentioned the possibility because most of the time these scenes are rather negligible.

Yes im pretty happy with it and tbh contrary to many others i dont care about how Junko was or what they rushed in the Despair side. Sure i wanted to see the cast of DR2 again BUT <spoiler>I wanted to see them AFTER DR2 more than anything, i enjoyed seeing them before happy for the time it laster but i wanted more of the Remnants of Despairs. Also even tho the Hope video was kind of awkward, I really liked the rest of the Hope/future arc so i dont give it much thoughts compared to many. The execution and suspense was on point until the end, thats not enough IMO to hate on it</spoiler>
nubguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with this reviewer in that I think the finale was amazing. It was literally everything I could have hoped for, pardon the pun. Haha It was satisfying and really well done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12