• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Director Yamakan Declares Anime Dead

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Broadening the definition

Implying that there is a definition.
The point is, there is none.
Maokun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Maokun wrote:
What about stop complaining and be the change you want to see, Yamakan!?

I think he tried – that's what he's saying, but basically the higher-ups won't allow him to do what he wants because they fear it won't sell. q.e.d.

And anyway, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be able to complain or criticize just because he is part of the industry.

You missed the second sentence in my post that revealed that the first sentence was not said in all seriousness.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
The crap being made today though? It makes my skin crawl. The rampant infantilization of girls, the idol fandom, the herbivore male culture/metro-sexualization of guys, the teen drama, the try-hard attempts at maturity --- this puerile shallowness that defines the modern otaku era is completely at odds with me spiritually. A bad show in the 90's might make me yawn, or even roll my eyes and shut off the TV. A bad show nowadays? The first episode of Tokyo Ghoul made me want to hurl a brick at my monitor. It feels like if the shows being made aren't for pretentious teens, they're for hollow, libidinous adults that never grew up.

Oh, don't worry, I'm sure that many of us are very much aware of your stance on the issue. But seriously, your moral panic is nothing new. I'm sure that those of the previous generation felt just as offended or outraged at the very things you enjoy. Rock music being the devil's work and all that. (Out of pure unadulterated curiosity, I can get where you're coming from with most of it, but what's your issue with herbivore male culture again?)

On a related note, why do some fans feel the need to value judge? I'm still wondering to this day. Pulling out my cynical side, I argue that by applying value judgment to taste they can then feel like they are better human beings and look down on others for liking or disliking certain shows. “Otaku-pandering” is just another term that is used to “other” the otaku and make oneself feel superior to them. But is that all? Where does all this stem from? Is this constructive in any way whatsoever?

Maybe it's just because I'm really, really, really open minded. I mean, I've hated shows before, but I've never referred to their fans as "hollow, libidinous adults that never grew up" like that's a bad thing (Hint: It isn't). Maybe I should start calling anime "elitists", "pretentious, pseudo-intellectuals who constantly pine for a romanticized past in a bid to quell their social anxieties and remain relevant in today's culture".

Just a thought~

Kikaioh wrote:
0nsen wrote:

That's easy. Moe is the entire subculture of anime, manga, etc.

This is the sort of obfuscating reasoning I think that fringe moe-supporters use to defy the general perceptions of what constitutes moe anime. Broadening the definition to that sort of all-encompassing extent just comes across as far-reaching wishful thinking, than any sort of realistic recognition of how the term is being popularly used.

Indeed, "popularly used"... Used to demonize, ridicule, value judge and silence discussion, you mean. I wonder why we're trying to "broaden" the term's definition - by which I mean, actually using our critical thinking faculties and not take things at face value.

0nsen wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:
Broadening the definition

Implying that there is a definition.
The point is, there is none.

I think there is. But you're right to say that it's highly individualized. Here's what I said in a previous thread:

Actar Raikt wrote:
Personally, I tend to side with Azuma Hiroki's definition of moe (desirable character traits). Very basically, this desire for moe-elements was brought about by the shift in consumption patterns in the 1990s with the new, postmodern generation of otaku. This then led to a change in the focus of production later on to cater to their tastes. Again, this lines up with your observations with regard to the production market not taking advantage of this shift until later, with shows that were more interested in creating desirable characters (and merchandise) instead of building grand narratives taking the spotlight. Of course, it wasn't known or marketed as moe until much later on as well, which is why you might not have heard of the term until sometime after the shift took place.

Perhaps we're just playing semantic games. But I personally don't favor the whole "moe = cute girls" or "moe = a style". It's too reductive, too simplistic, and paints a target on a specific type of show or artstyle when it's something that goes beyond that. The current style is just what happens to be desirable by the otaku in this current generation, just like how Ayanami Rei was viewed as a moe character by that generation (even if they didn't use the term). She was so popular, that her desirable character traits (moe-elements) were emulated by "Ayanami clone" characters from other anime like "Ruri Hoshino, Ruriko Tsukushima, Miharu, Anthy Himemiya, and Lain Iwakura".

Essentially, it's not as broad a definition as you're making it out to be. The concept of moe and moe-elements did not exist before this shift in consumption patters because the otaku were consuming anime for different reasons and anime was produced to cater to those needs. However, moe was indeed a thing way before it was recognized and marketed as moe as all moe needs to exist is for the consumer to recognize it as such. Therefore, what can be considered moe today, might not be tomorrow.
BrianPaulAndaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
What do you mean anime is dead? The savior of anime is about to air, Keijo!!!! on October 6th.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

On a related note, why do some fans feel the need to value judge? I'm still wondering to this day. Pulling out my cynical side, I argue that by applying value judgment to taste they can then feel like they are better human beings and look down on others for liking or disliking certain shows. “Otaku-pandering” is just another term that is used to “other” the otaku and make oneself feel superior to them. But is that all? Where does all this stem from? Is this constructive in any way whatsoever?

Maybe it's just because I'm really, really, really open minded. I mean, I've hated shows before, but I've never referred to their fans as "hollow, libidinous adults that never grew up" like that's a bad thing (Hint: It isn't). Maybe I should start calling anime "elitists", "pretentious, pseudo-intellectuals who constantly pine for a romanticized past in a bid to quell their social anxieties and remain relevant in today's culture".

You just make me get up from my chair and applause. I really share you opinion. Thank you.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
ask a feminist or Shonen Jump Weekly

you will not like their answers... are they entirely wrong ? depends on how you look at it

now a day you can't enjoy some form of media without having it being insulting/offensive to another person/group.

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Oh, don't worry, I'm sure that many of us are very much aware of your stance on the issue. But seriously, your moral panic is nothing new. I'm sure that those of the previous generation felt just as offended or outraged at the very things you enjoy. Rock music being the devil's work and all that. (Out of pure unadulterated curiosity, I can get where you're coming from with most of it, but what's your issue with herbivore male culture again?)

I think to frame my position as a "moral panic" isn't quite accurate. "Disappointment" is probably more on track. To be fair, many of the elements that I despise in modern anime used to exist in clips and phrases during past generations. The difference, at least, was that those appearances were limited, so it was easier to gloss over them as long as they continued to mostly make content that had a degree of appeal to me. Fast forward to the modern day, however, and I'm finding a majority of modern shows to be embracing these sorts of traits that I find either repulsive or childishly shallow. As a fan of the medium for so many decades, it's disappointing to see the industry cater to a culture I'm so philosophically diametrically opposed to.

As for herbivore male culture, I'm personally against it due to some of its shallow focus on personal aesthetics, and how it lends to a sort of dispassionate personality in its adopters. I'm the sort of person who finds the preoccupation with personal fashion/appearances to be a bit ways shallow (not just in men's culture, but also in women's), so to see male culture in Japan move in that direction, as opposed to women's culture becoming less constrained by it, is something I find disappointing. That it also lends itself to very tepid characterizations in anime these days is also saddening, as I'm a big fan of passionate, over-the-top and fun personalities.

Actar wrote:

I personally don't care about feeling as though I'm a "better human being" than otaku (tbh, I actually somewhat pity otaku in Japan and the state that their culture currently is in, since it seems for many to be a bit self-destructive with a long-term zero sum game). If it comes across as value judging, though, I think it's understandable, as the industry has changed over time to cater to very particular tastes, so it stands to reason that there will be people who grow to dislike and outwardly express their disappointment with the direction things have headed in. Having to wade through so much more distasteful content these days in order to find something appealing, I think increases the frustration of being a fan of something you loved, and realizing just how much it's transformed into something you dislike.

And certainly you can turn around and suggest that I'm a "pretentious pseudo-intellectual" --- if, somehow, being a fan of shows like Samurai Pizza Cats, Captain Tylor, Dragon Ball, MD Geist and Slayers could somehow be construed as snooty (I think it's pretty funny to think of it that way though, so I'm more liable to laugh at the suggestion). I also don't really care about "feeling relevant" in today's culture --- I just wish more shows were being made that didn't make me want to gag on first viewing.

Actar wrote:
Indeed, "popularly used"... Used to demonize, ridicule, value judge and silence discussion, you mean. I wonder why we're trying to "broaden" the term's definition - by which I mean, actually using our critical thinking faculties and not take things at face value.

To be fair, I think word definitions can be flexible, and have different meanings depending on context. Certainly you can use "moe" in a broader sense to try and point out certain characters from past generations that you feel are "moe". Unfortunately though, you can want for people to focus on your specific usage as much as you like, but the reality is that definitions ultimately come from popular usage. So to try and deny the usage of "moe" as it refers to the various cultural and stylistic trends of the past decade, that isn't so much "using critical thinking" as it is "wanting to avoid reality".
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
I have nothing to complain about I love everything about anime and have never disliked a single thing I've ever watched and doubt I ever will. I wait until it's available to buy on bluray/dvd and enjoy, I'm a simple girl Anime smile

I agree mostly with you. There are some things that....annoy me I would say is a good word. Overall though I am easier to please when I am simply asking to be entertained. Especially now with the plethora of streams available so I don't have to commit to buy a series without seeing it first to see if it has re-watch value for me. I can just watch it with a stream and be one and done as they say and save money.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

I personally don't care about feeling as though I'm a "better human being" than otaku (tbh, I actually somewhat pity otaku in Japan and the state that their culture currently is in, since it seems for many to be a bit self-destructive with a long-term zero sum game). If it comes across as value judging, though, I think it's understandable, as the industry has changed over time to cater to very particular tastes, so it stands to reason that there will be people who grow to dislike and outwardly express their disappointment with the direction things have headed in. Having to wade through so much more distasteful content these days in order to find something appealing, I think increases the frustration of being a fan of something you loved, and realizing just how much it's transformed into something you dislike.

I hope you understand you are also a otaku, just a different generation of otaku.
But i can understand that for some older genaration otaku this past decade anime can be very depressing because anime moved in a direction that many older generation and some new generation find distasteful and sometimes offensive. Like in TV, movies, and music, anime moved to more sexualization of both male and female characters, and more risqué situations and stories. Many moral barriers are coming down. Is not just a change in anime. Is a change in entertainment as a whole.

Im also a older generation otaku and Slayers and Dragon Ball are some of my favorites. My first anime that i remember watch was Uchuu Senkan Yamato.

But im luck enough that as anime changed, i also find new genres of anime that i like and i still watch many anime.

Kikaioh wrote:

To be fair, I think word definitions can be flexible, and have different meanings depending on context. Certainly you can use "moe" in a broader sense to try and point out certain characters from past generations that you feel are "moe". Unfortunately though, you can want for people to focus on your specific usage as much as you like, but the reality is that definitions ultimately come from popular usage. So to try and deny the usage of "moe" as it refers to the various cultural and stylistic trends of the past decade, that isn't so much "using critical thinking" as it is "wanting to avoid reality".

Moe is around since the 80's with characters like Lum Invader from Urusei Yatsura.
There are still cosplayers cos-playing as Lum Invader nowadays because how sexy and moe she is.
But i understand your point, because since Ayanami Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion there was a explosion in using Moe not only in manga/anime but also using moe characters to promote everything from food and domestic appliances to the military.
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Parts of anime are dead - the drama and aventure genres for instance, stuff you could find in the old Sekai Meisaku Gekijô. Anime as a whole is not dead, but is on a dangerous path toward extinction by over-relying on restricted, niche audiences. Too self-referential, also - modern anime is obsessed by anime, while the previous generations of directors and animators had room to show their passion for cinema or litterature.

I don't get the "moe is fascist" bit, thought. A neo-liberal attempt to merchandize the human need for affection in an society were demographics and economics factor deprives a lot of young people of any chance to establish a family, sure, but it lacks the fascist characteristic of structural totalitarian top-to-bottom dominance, I guess... ?
Velius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Sure, there aren't many new series that are actually completely different or innovating, but anime is hardly dead. With shorter seasons, there are more shows to choose from compared to 10 years ago. Animation quality has only increased overall, though content hasn't and probably won't change much. It's the same with movies/tv as well, it says the same until it changes or dies.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Everybody seems to be talking about late-night anime. Is that really synonymous with the anime industry?

What about the family shows that dominate the ratings charts?
What about movies?
What about commercials? Does Japan not have animated advertisements, public service announcements, and promotional videos?

I do not see any indication that late-night anime is in trouble, but if it is would that be the end of the anime industry?

Those are not rhetorical questions.
I really do not know much about the anime business in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Everybody seems to be talking about late-night anime. Is that really synonymous with the anime industry?

What about the family shows that dominate the ratings charts?
What about movies?
What about commercials? Does Japan not have animated advertisements, public service announcements, and promotional videos?

I do not see any indication that late-night anime is in trouble, but if it is would that be the end of the anime industry?

Those are not rhetorical questions.
I really do not know much about the anime business in Japan.

Let me try to answer.
Family shows: I guess you are talking about kodomo shows like Sazae-san and Chibi Maruko-chan and big shonen shows like One Piece, Detective Conan, Dragon Ball Super.

The kodomo shows are pretty safe because there always children that love that shows and the stations have always space for children and some shows are there since the 60's-70's.
The big daytime mainstream shonen are another story. After these big ones of nowdays end the future is more blurry because the TV stations have less space for anime and are putting live action variety shows in place of anime.

Movies: There been big hits lately like Koe no Katachi is making record earnings so they are pretty much save.

Commercials: Companies like Toyota sometimes commission shorts and even some cities councils use anime many times to promote tourism.

So pretty much all anime except the daytime mainstream shonen shows are not in danger.
I hope this answer your question.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
I hope this answer your question.

Yes. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh also pretty much nails how I feel about the transformation of anime from something I really liked and could get passionate about to something that on average I find kind of commercialized and constructed to appeal to some of what I see as humanities worst aspects. Again you really notice it especially in the characterization and how shows handle or rather regularly mishandle issues like morality and conflict and how the resolution seems to be self serving towards some form of commercialism or what the production committee wants to promote as opposed to practical, dramatically interesting or just plain plausible. I also don't really like how a lot of popular anime has been hijacked by interest groups and sometimes literally politics like is the case of the deal between the JSDF and certain shows to promote enlistment in the army as this great leap forward. Made shows like GATE and Haifuri especially for example feel like blatant LDP/JSDF recruitment propaganda.

I also don't understand why the average character seems to have to be so boring bland and drab either, particularly male leads where the production committees seem so afraid of their audience that nothing other than the most average looking 14-16 year old Japanese guy with nothing that stands out about him and a samey sounding voice done by some male model looking dude (usually a Yuki Kaji or something for the inevitable fan events) that sounds less than inspired in their role will do. If anything major male characters have suffered far more than female characters because while female characters have in many cases been whittled down to stock moe archetype bishoujo characters the male character isn't even afforded that much if they are allowed to have a particular character or something that stands out about them at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11