• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Anime Series So Short These Days?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziko577

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
I for one love it when a show is written and planned for a set number of episodes, with the possibility of more seasons down the line. This is much better than how most shows here in the US tend to be made, where they basically keep spitting out episodes until the ratings drop and the show gets canceled. I prefer the story to be well produced and planned with a concrete ending already in mind, seems to make for a much better overall story. At least that way it can end on a high note, as opposed to the whimper of a previously popular show that overstayed its welcome and jumped the shark one too many times.

That's the fate of many a cartoon I've seen in my lifetime. The few that did get an ending was either forced or ended with unresolved plot threads. Still makes it difficult to get attached to a show then no new seasons come after that and it leaves a hole in your heart.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
I think that this 11-13 episodes system works great because if the show is a hit than more episodes can be made and if the show bombs than the production committee doesn't loose a fortune. Although a big concern is if they adapt too much of the source material in the first season and don't have enough for a second season of a hit series. Confused
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Which is strange since Marvel (Disney) makes episodic tv series whereas Warner Bros generally makes standalone straight to dvd adaptations of their comic books.

You seem to think Marvel does not make direct to video cartoons or that DC does not make a few animated tv series ....

Quote:
And it's generally only forgettable to people who hate them....yet that doesn't apply to works like Teen Titans Go or Ultimate Spider-Man Razz

Yet Teen Titans Go *is* as DC property. Also, it is hard to forget something you hate *cough* Taboo Tatto *cough* you forget what does not stir any relevant emotion or intellectual response, I would name a few but alas, I have forgotten them Anime hyper

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Although a big concern is if they adapt too much of the source material in the first season and don't have enough for a second season of a hit series. Confused

*cough* Re:zero *cough* New Game! *cough* Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! *cough* Sousei no Onmyouji *cough* x_x
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
^While I would agree that you don't forget the particularly bad ones (Big Order and especially Chaos Dragon for me) I'd put Taboo Tattoo more in the forgettable category (aside from "Clooown!!") but it is fairly close admittedly. Let's try to avoid getting OT though
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Couldn't it also be because they keep catching up to the manga too quickly? I've noticed that Shounen Jump have been handling their anime adaptions much better in recent years, first giving a manga a 24-26 episode season, then waiting a few months, giving them another 24-26 episode season, waiting a few months, etc... Like the Haikyuu!! anime. Their new anime aren't treated like Naruto/Bleach/One Piece, where they go on forever and are constantly infested with low quality filler episodes. The quality of the animation is so much better too, when you wait a few months before giving it another season.

I don't think that's that high of a reason on the production committees' lists, but it is something that I personally quite appreciate. The networks being open to the season system means you get a lot less filler, and what is produced gets more effort put into it per episode because they're not constantly working with a week-long clock for every episode.

I always felt that the season system is superior to the episode-every-week system in almost every way, and the main reason why they hadn't done it prior was that the networks weren't too open to that idea.

Hardgear wrote:
I for one love it when a show is written and planned for a set number of episodes, with the possibility of more seasons down the line. This is much better than how most shows here in the US tend to be made, where they basically keep spitting out episodes until the ratings drop and the show gets canceled. I prefer the story to be well produced and planned with a concrete ending already in mind, seems to make for a much better overall story. At least that way it can end on a high note, as opposed to the whimper of a previously popular show that overstayed its welcome and jumped the shark one too many times.

Actually, that's how most US shows work too. The idea behind a season is that the makers of a TV show are contracted to produce some certain amount of episodes, and if the show does well, the network will ask for more. Any flaws in this system are flaws that anime is vulnerable to as well.

I think the biggest difference between seasons is that Japanese seasons are irregular whereas American seasons are annual (but that's not always the case, like with Family Guy). A smaller, more subtle difference, is that, due to reruns and syndication being a thing on American television, US TV shows rarely end on their third seasons. You'll see that shows like 24, Criminal Minds, and Game of Thrones have season-long arcs designed to end the show with a bang in case that season is their last.

The only shows in the United States and Canada anymore that run their whole length as a season are children's shows that are contracted the full 65 episodes ( even that is dying as executives realize they don't have to target the same generation of children from beginning to end) and soap operas, which march to the beat of their own drummers and have always been doing so.

meiam wrote:
I wonder with the rise of streaming if things won't change again. I find it hard to justify buying a set box since I know I already watched the show and if I want to watch it again I can probably find it on one of the many streaming service that I'm potentially already subscribed to. On the other hand if I want to buy a merchandise I don't have any other choice, so I'm queasy about spending 60$ on a BR set but I have no problem spending close to 1000$ on gunplas.

Regarding show length and the season system, I don't think that's going to change, streaming or not. A show will continue until its raison d'être is gone, and a show will run in seasons as a safe means of pulling the plug if viewer interest becomes too low. As long as popularity is a standard of a show's success, this is the model a TV show will run on.

DeTroyes wrote:
I think the biggest impact I've seen is that shows now are more likely not to come to a final conclusion. More likely than not, much is still left unresolved by series end, keeping it open in the hope it will be picked up for another season. It used to be that a show would go for 26-50 episodes, and even if it was cut short, they'd have enough time to eke out an ending of some sort to at least bring the series to a close. Not so now. There might be a season arc that more or less comes to a close, but usually the central story is left unresolved and (sadly, not too infrequently) if the show is never renewed, the story is left hanging (or at the very least, you have to seek out the manga or light novels to discover where things went from there) (*glancing at Spice and Wolf on DVD shelf*).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the new format is bad. Its just... one of the things that attracted me to anime originally was its serialized storytelling. In such a format, there is the implication that some resolution by series end would take place, instead of the American format of always teasing but never quite delivering. It was one of the things that made anime unique. And now, that aspect seems to be falling more and more by the wayside.

Personally, I think what's going on right now is old habits dying hard. The people making anime right now, I'm sure, are mostly people who were in the business when series were longer, and such a person wouldn't be used to having to end the series so soon in, especially if it's adapted from a long-running manga.

I predict that, in a few years, there will be far less of anime suddenly getting cut short. The writers will understand that they won't be guaranteed another season and will write accordingly.

DRosencraft wrote:
From an artistic standpoint, if but for the financial component, the sponsorship format is the better option. The problem I feel with many shows nowadays is that there is a stuttered production. Many shows are constantly swaying between trying to rush and cover a certain amount of story, and slowing down to highlight parts too. Knowing they only have one cour to hook the audience for a chance at more, they awkwardly morph the original pacing to deleterious effect. It muddies the question of whether a project is itself faulty, or if it's a matter of how it was reformatted to fit the constraints of the TV landscape it's put in.

If you mean anime adapted from a manga or light novel, bear in mind that the writers of the manga and light novels had to hook their audiences in as quickly as possible too. If there are pacing issues at the beginning of an anime because they're trying to hook viewers, then they're doing it wrong.

Top Gun wrote:
I may be a bit unusual in that I don't really give a fig about what's airing in the current season (seriously, I've watched maybe two or three shows "live" over the past few years). Most of the shows I watched in my early years were being broadcast on US TV a few years after their Japanese premieres, and even today I prefer waiting long enough for the wheat to be filtered out from the chaff. If you're in no rush to watch things, it makes it easier to appreciate the shows that have honed the fine art of the slow burn.

I don't care if something is new or not either, as I don't really have anyone to talk to about anime who's into it enough that I HAVE to stay up to date.

Season-based shows appeal to me in this way because either the show itself is short, or I can use the first season as a sampler to see if I'll be interested in the rest of the show.

nobahn wrote:
DRosencraft

I forget exactly who I heard this from on YouTube (Mother's Basement? Glass Reflection? Someone else?) but someone said that that the best adaptation formula is to take for any given episode to devote a small portion of the said episode to Over-arching Plot "A" and spend most of the time on Sub-plot "B" with the idea that "B" gets resolved in the episode and "A" gets advanced just enough to be its own hook at the end of the episode. TNT's USA's Burn Notice followed this formula to a "T".

This is known to some as the "semi-serial," but I haven't seen any agreement on what to call it.

An unlikely show that followed this formula was the 2012 version of Littlest Pet Shop. It's an episodic show, but each of its four seasons had some overarching thing that didn't come to a head until the season finale. That being said, it was never able to reach the heights its pony-filled sister show did and treated every season as if it were its last.

...I just feel compelled to bring that up because I have an encyclopedic knowledge of that show from writing its TV Tropes recaps. Feel free to ignore this.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
For a tv series you need at a minimum 26 episodes.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of fans of British comedy and sci fi would disagree with you.

Wow, that was fast.

Not just British comedy, but British TV shows in general tend to be short. The exceptions are megahits like Doctor Who, Top Gear, and Robot Wars.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Again the issue seems to escape you. British tv series are short, maybe 10 episodes. But one episode lasts 1 hour (that's like 3 anime episodes worth of running time). So a live British series has as much running time as a 30 episode anime series. Since most anime series theze days have 12 episodes, that's what a running time of 4 hours ? It's not enough time to carry out a coherent storyline, have meaningful characters doing meaningful things in an organic way. All you get is something that feels disjointed. Disconnected. A set of disjointed set pieces. That's modern anime in a nutshell. And it affects every genre. Nobody is safe from this disease.

British shows often don't even reach 10 episodes, but more commonly have 6-8 episodes, like The Office.

Bear in mind that the first season of American TV shows are also initially either 13 episodes total or 13 episodes long and will have more episodes if the first few episodes do well. South Park began with 13 episodes, for instance. The idea behind the 13-episode system is that if the pilot episode and the couple of episodes after prove to be a success, the network will order 9 more to finish the season. (Hence, they're almost all live-action TV shows, as animation has a huge lead time.) This is why the first season of many live-action American TV shows seem to have something big going on in their 12th or 13th episodes, then either a smaller conflict, a denouement, or a cliffhanger comprising the last 9, like Glee and Parks and Recreation.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I agree with zrnzle500 regarding what Cptn_Taylor said.

Ideally, you would determine how many episodes were needed in order to tell the story you wanted to tell, then make it that many episodes. Some stories can be told in a few episodes, others need a whole bunch, but it is the story that determines that, not the economics of it. As I said, that (to me, anyway) is the ideal.

I think it's more efficient to do the other way around, actually--the higher-ups tell you how many episodes you'll have, and then you make a story with a level of complexity and/or pacing to fit that. A good writer should be able to tell a good story regardless of how short or long it is (barring extreme shortness or length). No one has full control over a TV show's length, not even the network.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I think it's more efficient to do the other way around, actually--the higher-ups tell you how many episodes you'll have, and then you make a story with a level of complexity and/or pacing to fit that. A good writer should be able to tell a good story regardless of how short or long it is (barring extreme shortness or length). No one has full control over a TV show's length, not even the network.

For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

But seriously, the problem in anime is that the writers are often hobbled out of the gate - they're frequently presented with existing source material, and have to fit that existing material into the confines of a series. (And I suspect, under the schedule gun from the get go.) That's a rather different and more difficult problem than writing from scratch.
Katsukasu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Unfortunately this seems to mean fewer Shoujo shows in general since merchandising is so difficult. Though personally I would welcome the return of Shoujo anime Barbie dolls.
Well, the stuff Precure has sometimes isn't that much different from Barbie dolls. Although it depends on the series and a large part of the merchandising is costumes, the transforming items, and mascot plushies. Most shows for Kids also have collaborations with McDonald's at some point, which often includes figures in the "Happy Set".

Which leads me to saying: I don't think long-running anime are necessarily a thing "of the past" like the article made it seem a bit. It's more that nowadays, there's much more late-night slots for anime than there used to be, because many TV stations now broadcast 24/7 and fill the time that they would not have used at ALL otherwise with anime and other programming that only attracts a small amount of special interest viewers. On the other side, if I remember correctly, the number of slots in the afternoon has decreased.

I think, anime programming can be largely broken down into the following (exceptions apply, overlaps possible):
- shows meant to market certain toys, games or other varieties of merchandising, usually to be found in the morning or afternoon programming (PreCure, most Gundam shows, stuff like Pokémon, Digimon, Beyblade, Cardfight Vanguard,...)
- shows that cater to an Otaku audience and try to promote the manga, (light) novels or games they are based on or related to, which can be usually found in late-night programming (examples from the upcoming season would be "Watashi ga motete do sun da", UtaPri, Hibike Euphonium, Ajin, and even Gakuen Handsome)
- shows for an Otaku or art lover audience that are made to sell DVDs and often use schemes that have proved successful with a certain target audience. Can be usually found in late-night programming (Most original series, sometimes overlaps with the 2nd category)
- shows that are part of a media-mix that has been planned in advance, nowadays mostly in late-night programming, used to be also in morning and afternoon slots, can, and often does, overlap with other categories (I'd vaguely say this is the case when several media products, e.g. manga / novel / anime / live-action movie are released at the same time or very closely time-wise)
- this is more of an "out"-category, but: shows that are pretty much self-sustaining by now and are so vastly popular they don't really need to promote anything anymore but can rather be used by other products for their promotion (Sazae-san, Doraemon, Detective Conan, One Piece, Dragonball etc.)

Personally, I like shorter shows more, because I like dense story-telling. I'm also really not the target group for most long-running shows, although I enjoy some of them sometimes. I think it's a nice thing that there's so many more shows nowadays that really seem to be aimed at people who just like anime, although I understand it's annoying when a manga or novel series is not adapted completely or the anime ends at a stupid part of said series.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
Contrary what some here would believe, anime shorts can aspire to be more than throwaway after thoughts with decent stuff like Danna ga and so bad yet so good Teekyu. Of course, if you're into anime because of psychological screwery and action, don't bother with shorts. Pupa is a testament to the failure.

Episode number works on a case by case basis. 13 episodes is clearly inadequate for genres that have extensive lore and worldbuilding so that crosses sci-fi and mecha off. Then there are those that look like it won't work, but somehow pull it off like Fantasy with series such as Konosuba and NGNL proving everyone the unexpected and then there's the genres where it's obligatory to be put into 13 eps for one reason or another like not having material for a second season or as a gauge to see if its performance warrants more. These would easily land in most SoL and harem anime.

It's not to say the good ol' no. 26 are incompatible with all of them, but with so much anime coming in droves, studios and committees can't afford to sit through their current series unless there is true confidence it'll be a hit or they like it so much they want to animate more of the source.

In any case, I just want TV anime to have conclusions that wrap up the underlying plot while at the same time entice those who want more without coming off as a cheap ad. It's a tall order, I know. I just don't want anymore Mahou Sensou tier endings which made me feel like I wasted 12 weeks for nothing...
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
they're frequently presented with existing source material, and have to fit that existing material into the confines of a series. (And I suspect, under the schedule gun from the get go.) That's a rather different and more difficult problem than writing from scratch.

That is not the only problem of adapting already existing material, I hear that angel beats! was supposed to be longer, but they decided to cut short the already written story. I feel the same happened with Charlotte, The original story was obviously longer, but reduced to fit into half the length.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:20 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I think some people are confused, anime has ALWAYS being an advertising medium, whether they are advertising toys, manga, games or itself (see disc or ticket sales).

Being used for advertising isn't the problem. The problem is that that's ALL they are used for. Telling a coherent story, having any kind of resolution, having good animation. Essentially none of that matters for certain members of the production committee when the goal is simply to put their product into peoples minds and peak their interest ever so slightly. You can make a show, like Madoka, that tells a complete story, but also works as advertising for books, music, figures, discs, etc etc. That's something I'm totally okay with. What I'm sick and tired of(and I think most people are), are shows like NGNL or Overlord, that cover a tiny and incredibly unsatisfactory amount of a story, and then are never renewed.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Short tv anime series do not have enough time to build and develop meaningful character interactions. They do not have enough time to deliver a fullfilling conclusion.
Back in the day, you have a lot of bad /mediocre shows but you also had a lot of good series that delivered on the storytelling character interaction front. Nowadays this is simply impossible save for a handful of exceptions because of the short number of episodes.

I think Madoka, Ping Pong, and hundreds of other anime series would disagree with you. It's not about length, it's about how that length is used. A great movie needs less than 90 minutes to tell a perfect story, there is nothing wrong with most anime being roughly 3-4 hours long, the problem is how that time is utilized and what the show is trying to accomplish.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:59 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Is it possible that the types of stories that you enjoy just aren't represented by the new crop of shorter shows? For example, Votoms could never be done as an 13-episode series, but at the same time a story like Serial Experiments Lain really wouldn't have benefited from 12 more episodes. Perhaps you prefer the former to the latter?

If it were as you say I would have stopped watching modern anime a long time ago. I like anime, I watch modern anime each season. But I do see how things have changed for the worse over the last couple of decades. Take for instance Knights of Sidonia. It's not a 12 episodes series although it was made as 3 seasons of 12 episodes each. Now each season is quite faithful to the manga, the animation was good to great, the audio aspects were done really good. So what was missing ? The organic feel was missing in that you could see the story advancing episode to episode and yet it felt like reading a grocery list. Item A checked, item B checked but we don't see how we went from A to B. That's why I talk about modern anime feeling like a set of disjoint pieces. The very few episodes of each independent season makes this disjointness in the events and character development that much more apparent, and even dominant. Another example is Macross Delta. Even this one is a 26 episodes series yet it is bad. Not because of the number of episodes but because the writers simply forgot about the story.

This is my criticism, that the shorter the series (or the focus on 12 episode independent seasons) the more dominant the "disjointness" of events and character development. It ends up feeling like watching the equivalent of reading a grocery list.

You can of course tell a story in 60 seconds. It's just that the type of story is going to be completely different from that that you would tell using 26 episodes. 12-13 episodes simply do not give the writers the necessary leeway to be ambitious in the narrative. So you always end up with the same kind of constraints. Either the series ends up in infodump, or you simply lose characters because they're effectively irrelevent, or the ending "just happens". It's all very unfulfilling.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:25 am Reply with quote
Anyone who has ever watched TV in Japan would know the basic answer is because "90% of Japanese TV today is shitty variety shows that are cheap to make but get huge ratings despite the vapidity of the content." These shows take up virtually all of air time, much less prime-time these days, especially in rural Japan. It's the equivalent of reality TV in America.

Anime by comparison cost vastly more to make and has a narrower appeal, so obviously they aren't going to stick anything but the biggest anime shows in prime-time (i.e., Naruto, Pretty Cure, Doraemon). And I'm not sure they even do that any more.

One Piece plays twice a day if memory serves. Once at around 10:00 a.m. on Saturdays (I think) and once more in the evening (although I think it might be a rerun then). It's a Saturday morning cartoon, essentially.

Eureka Seven played at 8:00 a.m. on Sundays if memory serves (I was in Japan during the original run). By comparison I'm pretty sure E7 Ao played at something like one in the morning. Then again, it was garbage, so no big loss...

I remember Xenogears; The Animation played at something like 2:30 a.m.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:31 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Series are short because they cater to otaku who have the attention span of goldfish.

This is Japan's thinking, yes. Disney's doing a Star Wars movie a year, Marvel's going to up to three movies a year while Toho does a Godzilla film whenever they realize people are still interested in the big guy. Then they make a few more and then they stop because...

You could bring up "over saturation" but I can safely say that the showa films just didn't have the audiences for the movies.. that's the fact of it, the why is harder to pin down.. but it feels the later film series were stopped because Toho was bored.

Bringing this back to anime, this is why we're getting more and more series with 11 or fewer episode counts; If you're going to end short anyways, why not just end shorter? Get done sooner, move on faster. You don't want to get bored, right?

And as for the 24/26 episode series, I still see plenty of them and buy plenty of them and I don't see them going away anytime soon; Mostly because people making anime now grew up on such series and will always try to keep the format around. How many of those kind of series do we need a year anyway, three or four? More? I'd say less; I loved Heavy Object and Cross Ange but I won't say they were across the board successful.

The serious serials? Those are going away even if One Piece may be around forever and Dragon Ball continues to come up with new powerups to rival Superman- saiyan powerups, human and nemeks not welcome here. Too may people with money saying yes even if the creators' hearts aren't in it. What was the last new genuine one, Fairy Tail? Even Rin-ne got the "wait and see" status of a light novel adaptation.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:39 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I do miss when 26 episodes was the standard(from around the mid 90s to late 00s), now it is usually 13 episodes, if it 26 episodes, then it's broken up into 2 seasons. I think the only new shows in the 10s to go over 100 episodes have been Toriko and Hunter x Hunter(JoJo of you combine all parts).

Also Aikatsu and Fairy Tail 2014. And Space Brothers ended at 99 episodes, so you might as well give it an honorary membership in the club.

And Furusato Saisei: Nippon no Mukashi Banashi, PriPara, Cardfight!! Vanguard, Puchimasu if you count both series. Teekyuu will hit 96 with its next season, and if you count the Blu-ray specials (which are just extra episodes) that will push it over. Pokémons Best Wishes! and XY as well, but they're not exactly new shows. There are doubtless more I'm overlooking or haven't heard of. Some have been mentioned earlier in the thread.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:17 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I do miss when 26 episodes was the standard(from around the mid 90s to late 00s), now it is usually 13 episodes, if it 26 episodes, then it's broken up into 2 seasons. I think the only new shows in the 10s to go over 100 episodes have been Toriko and Hunter x Hunter(JoJo of you combine all parts).

Also Aikatsu and Fairy Tail 2014. And Space Brothers ended at 99 episodes, so you might as well give it an honorary membership in the club. But yeah, definitely not nearly as many as there used to be.

I don't miss the 100+ episode marathon shows myself, but I wish we did have more 24-26 episode shows, because it often felt like that was the sweet spot between giving enough room to develop the characters and fully flesh out the story without letting things get dragged out too much. A quick glance at my top ten favorite TV anime says that seven of them were two-cour or split-cour, most recently Silver Spoon in 2013/14, and none were longer than that.
I knew Space Brothers ended in the 90s, but I didn't know it was that close.I had included Fairy Tail, but deleted it as it is 09. it seems there were a few more that I missed.

I think the best thing about 26ish episodes, is that adaptations usually felt like their own thing. There are exceptions like Claymore and Get Backers which still feel like an ad for the Manga despite the length, but shows like Scrapped Princess, Trigun, Desert Punk etc all feel like completed works even though they are not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8