• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cartoon Network's Toonami Block Pushed Back by Half Hour Starting on October 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SakuraYakushi :3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Uncut anime could die on American television if people keep illegally watching their favorite series subbed on sites because they screech about how "terrible" dubs are...Most dubs are amazing...With the exception of anime like Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh...Even I admit those dubs are bad. I can't stand the Pokemon dub to the point that I absolutely have to resort to fansubs...I would import the series but for one thing..Japan doesn't have the full series in sets, and for two...They don't have subs on the discs that ARE out there, even the movies don't have them and I know because I have "Mew and the Hero of the Wave: Lucario" and "The Ruler of Illusions: Zoroark" on legit DVDs from Japan and there are NO English subs. The Pokemon Company refuses to give us legal access to the Japanese episodes with subs despite people complaining how they want them. So if I want to watch them subbed I have to download fansubs and due to the rules I will NOT link anyone to the tracker. You will have to find that out yourselves. I know you may say "Well..You are a hypocrite!" No I am not...I may not like the Pokemon dub but I DO support the franchise and I DO support other companies by buying their series and other merch. The people who complain about dubs do not for the most part but some do.

Some of my all time favorite dubs are: Naruto/Shippuden, Wolf's Rain, Yu Yu Hakusho, and the Funimation DB/DBZ dubs.

{Edit}: For starters don't call people weebos, weebs, or any other derogatory term. We do not look kindly on people insulting others here. Secondly, if you're going to say people should not watch illegal streams or downloads it would be helpful if you did not mention the sites where people can go find them at. I edited the insults and illegal site names from your post.~ Psycho 101
Velius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
This news doesn't really change much of anything, I wouldn't even call it news... Now, if Toonami went back to daily airings, that would be something worth a news story. I really doubt that will ever be the case.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I wish daytime CN had an anime, or at least an action block.

Toonami was the gateway to anime for a lot of people growing up, kids today don't really have that. I wouldn't even mind censorship because in this day and age, it's not like it's the only version legally available.
Naruto Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
SakuraYakushi :3 wrote:
Uncut anime could die on American television if people keep illegally watching their favorite series subbed on sites because they screech about how "terrible" dubs are...Most dubs are amazing...With the exception of anime like Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh...Even I admit those dubs are bad.

Some of my all time favorite dubs are: Naruto/Shippuden, Wolf's Rain, Yu Yu Hakusho, and the Funimation DB/DBZ dubs.

Digimon Adventure and Wolf's Rain share a lot of their voice actors. I always cite Wolf's Rain as the all-time best anime dub, but Digimon is not far behind; it's one of the more natural sounding dubs out there, which is pretty incredible considering it aired 15 years ago when most dubs sounded pretty corny.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Adult Swim can never seem to get their original programming together. Most of the stuff is crap. But the few gems they seem to get, get canceled quickly. I really liked that Korgoth of Barbaria, but it was cancelled even before it aired.

If you're talking about stuff like Squidbillies and 12 Oz. Mouse, those are done with little to no budget, and they remain on the air because it means commercial slots are cheap. They end only when the creators want to end. (They might take a hit on productivity now that C. Martin Croker is gone though.)

Stuff like The Venture Bros. and Rick and Morty are also Adult Swim original programming though, and those are fantastic. They just aren't in-house.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Toonami needs to contact Funimation and negotiate a deal for Yu Yu Hakusho to return uncut,

I don't know what they'd stand to gain from this considering

1. It's an old anime
2. It's a somewhat long anime
3. It didn't work when it was on Adult Swim.

Uncut anime could die on American television if people keep illegally watching their favorite series subbed on sites because they screech about how "terrible" dubs are

Anime is already not that terribly popular in this states this doesn't hurt as much as you think. It's not like if they stop doing this (which they don't only do because of the dubs themselves). That's going to change things drastically.

...Most dubs are amazing...With the exception of anime like Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh...Even I admit those dubs are bad. I can't stand the Pokemon dub to the point that I absolutely have to resort to fansubs[/

Yu-Gi-Oh's english is dub fine minus the unnecessary changes, Jounouchi's accent, and edits, Pokemon's dub was fine up until they jettisoned the original voice actors.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
CN always change their line up during the fall. The Fall is when CN has new seasons for their shows like Regular Show and Adventure Time. Regular Show is ending this year, so they want to use that extra hour for ratings.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:40 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
Well at least they are not removing a half hour of Toonami especially now that it's mostly long running series that will go on for a long time. If anything, they need more time for Toonami so it can air other stuff too.

revolutionotaku wrote:
I miss when Toonami used to air from midnight to 5am.

I miss when Toonami was 11:30 PM to 6 AM or even the 12 to 6 AM.

Yup.

It'd be cool if they'd taken back that 3:30-4 slot too during this shift.

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Well atleast Toonami isn't getting shorted again and just pushed back by half an hour. Although I would love it if Toonami returned to it's 12am to 6am run especially since they have a lot of long running series on right now. Smile

My thoughts as well. Atleast we're not losing time this time and Toonami's still the same length, and it appears the ratings were good so it wasn't due to Toonami that the push back occurred but AS itself getting pushed an hour. And maybe if AS indeed gets back 8pm eventually then Toonami will shift back up again. Perhaps coinciding with a big show premiere.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
Naruto Guru wrote:
Uncut anime could die on American television if people keep illegally watching their favorite series subbed on sites because they screech about how "terrible" dubs are...Most dubs are amazing...With the exception of anime like Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh...Even I admit those dubs are bad.

Digimon Adventure and Wolf's Rain share a lot of their voice actors. I always cite Wolf's Rain as the all-time best anime dub, but Digimon is not far behind; it's one of the more natural sounding dubs out there, which is pretty incredible considering it aired 15 years ago when most dubs sounded pretty corny.

Digimon is not a good dub in any objective sense. Wolf's Rain has a solid dub, but it isn't anything close to Animaze's best, let alone THE best.
Joshua Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I predict Toonami will be cancelled again and Adult Swim will cease as a block leaving it as a live streaming only channel. This is definitely due to a majority of cord cutters viewing shows on their mobile devices.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Taylor wrote:
I predict Toonami will be cancelled again and Adult Swim will cease as a block leaving it as a live streaming only channel. This is definitely due to a majority of cord cutters viewing shows on their mobile devices.

I doubt it. Toonami's the only major competitor to Saturday Night Live. There are still plenty of people who watch TV normally, and Toonami continues to get 7-digit viewer numbers.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote
Joshua Taylor wrote:

Toonami might be cancelled again, but that will not mean the death of Adult Swim, They will continue to create more original cheap productions that they have before. And haven't they said that their cheap crappy productions usually out perform anime shown on Adult Swim.

Yes, there are people who watch TV shows on their tiny and not so tiny mobile devices, but I find it hard to believe that makes up the majority of of the viewing population. I have Guardians of the Galaxy on my Kindle which is 7", and still I would prefer to see it in all its glory on a big screen TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3