• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Heart-Pounding Tournaments

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes, the Indigo League...One of the seasons that featured Ash's greatest moments of Tournament Battles...

New Poll: Voted for All My Soul, Catch You Catch Me, and Rinbu Revolution. Two songs for intense dancing and one for moving at a more relaxed pace. Smile

Old Poll: Very happy that Fate Testarossa made in the poll. Anime catgrin Plus...Congratulations to Team Rocket for winning! Their misadventures seem to still be an enjoyable moment for many...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A Hunter License is practically a necessity to survive in this world...

If that were true the world's population would be a few thousand. The vast majority do just fine without one. It's just that a Hunter License comes with insane perks, which is why so many want one enough to risk life and limb for it.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Like most people already said I'm beyond surprised/disappointed the Dark Tournament arc isn't on here, since it had some of the best fights and moments in all of YYH. Even the Demon tournament would have been nice to see.

I'm kinda iffy on the GMG. For me it was one of FT's weakest arcs. I mean I was all for it until spoiler[ Natsu single handedly curb stomped Sting and Rogue, Jenny and Mirajane did a peep show, Erza pulled an armor that "breaks the rules of magic" out of her ass, and Sting just gave up at the end.] Wendy and Chelia's fight was great though.
Optitron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Three different World Martial Arts Tournaments take place during Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT.

There were three World Martial Arts Tournaments just in Dragon Ball, meaning there were at least five total (there's also the one Mr. Satan won during DBZ that occurred off camera, but I can understand not counting that). I realize neither of the excluded tournaments were the one discussed in the column, but that doesn't change the fact that the number is incorrect.

I also echo the exclusion of the Dark Tournament from YuYu Hakusho as a fairly inexcusable offense. That was the first one that occurred to me when I saw the topic of this list. I mean the Dark Tournament is somewhere between a quarter and a third of the show's entire run! At the very least it should have been somewhere on the list, if not sitting high atop it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Oh, look. There's Dragon Ball in the article mentioning its numerous tournaments then specifically picking one to talk about.Oh, look. There's Pokemon with its numerous tournaments being mentioned, but only one is chosen. Your point?

I'd ask you what purpose did it serve for you to post those 6 screen caps from the outset of Battle City but you likely wouldn't be able to come up with a good reason for why you felt the need to do something that wasn't inherently necessary.

As for my point the YGO anime has 3 different tournament arcs maybe the writer couldn't choose between the three, maybe they didn't like any of them, maybe as you said they didn't read or watch YGO, It just seems a bit silly to whine about a subjective list not including something you liked personally while posting six screencaps from the thing you liked.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Optitron wrote:

I also echo the exclusion of the Dark Tournament from YuYu Hakusho as a fairly inexcusable offense. That was the first one that occurred to me when I saw the topic of this list. I mean the Dark Tournament is somewhere between a quarter and a third of the show's entire run! At the very least it should have been somewhere on the list, if not sitting high atop it.

Why does it covering a quarter to a third of the show's run make it good or remarkable enough to make the list? Not saying it shouldn't be on it but this doesn't strike me as a strong argument for its inclusion. Not to mention your apparently low bar for inexcusable offense.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Lobbying for Haikyuu!!'s fourth OP "Fly High!!" with an analysis of why it's so good. Especially the talk about how they distributed their budget for it. Smile (I see it's now on the list twice, so I guess I'm not the only one who thinks so!)
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I'd ask you what purpose did it serve for you to post those 6 screen caps from the outset of Battle City but you likely wouldn't be able to come up with a good reason for why you felt the need to do something that wasn't inherently necessary.

Kagami + Kaiba announcing BC + Yami no Chikara = It speaks for itself. I'm sure any knowledgeable Yugioh fan would know the significance of that moment.

Quote:
As for my point the YGO anime has 3 different tournament arcs maybe the writer couldn't choose between the three, maybe they didn't like any of them, maybe as you said they didn't read or watch YGO, It just seems a bit silly to whine about a subjective list not including something you liked personally while posting six screencaps from the thing you liked.

Whine? You misunderstood. There's a page before my comment about certain folks being sad about their favorite tournament not being in the list. I merely added an iconic tournament moment from the Yugioh anime and purposely said what I said to fall in line with the other comments. Nothing more. So you have no point much like your reply to my comment in the Gantz article. M'kay.
PhantomVash808

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Fairy Tail's Grand Magic Games made it on the list but how can the list leave out Yu Yu Hakusho
Optitron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Optitron wrote:

Why does it covering a quarter to a third of the show's run make it good or remarkable enough to make the list? Not saying it shouldn't be on it but this doesn't strike me as a strong argument for its inclusion. Not to mention your apparently low bar for inexcusable offense.

I'd argue that my choice to refer to the decision as a "fairly inexcusable offense" was enough to make that part of my statement fairly innocuous. As to the other part of my remark under question, I suppose that deserves to be expounded upon in order to make a more cogent "strong argument for it's inclusion". The significance of the percent of the show that the Dark Tournament represented is a matter of perspective. If you're someone like me who considers YuYu Hakusho to be among the best shounen action series ever produced, then the fact that the Dark Tournament represents such a significant portion of the show's run implies that the arc must be "good or remarkable", because anything less from such a large portion of the series would be enough to drag the whole thing down with it. Admittedly the original statement by itself wasn't enough to convey this thought, but in my defense I was initially only concerned with pointing out the factual inaccuracy I mentioned in my original post and added my opinions on the Dark Tournament's non-inclusion as an afterthought and an act of solidarity with the numerous other posters who had already made similar statements..
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Kagami + Kaiba announcing BC + Yami no Chikara = It speaks for itself. I'm sure any knowledgeable Yugioh fan would know the significance of that moment.

I personally don't think the act of Kaiba announcing the tournament is as iconic or memorable as the duels that took place during the Tournament itself but okay.

KH91 wrote:
So you have no point much like your reply to my comment in the Gantz article. M'kay.

I actually had a point in that thread since you seemed to not have understood the concept of subjectivity there much like you don't understand it now. And that's on top of the fact your comment that I quoting in that thread came off off a bit condescending to the person you were responding to..

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Optitron wrote:
I'd argue that my choice to refer to the decision as a "fairly inexcusable offense" was enough to make that part of my statement fairly innocuous. As to the other part of my remark under question, I suppose that deserves to be expounded upon in order to make a more cogent "strong argument for it's inclusion". The significance of the percent of the show that the Dark Tournament represented is a matter of perspective. If you're someone like me who considers YuYu Hakusho to be among the best shounen action series ever produced, then the fact that the Dark Tournament represents such a significant portion of the show's run implies that the arc must be "good or remarkable", because anything less from such a large portion of the series would be enough to drag the whole thing down with it. Admittedly the original statement by itself wasn't enough to convey this thought, but in my defense I was initially only concerned with pointing out the factual inaccuracy I mentioned in my original post and added my opinions on the Dark Tournament's non-inclusion as an afterthought and an act of solidarity with the numerous other posters who had already made similar statements..

I don't know if I agree that it is inexcusable or an offense, but fair enough.

Thank you for expanding upon why it being a significant percentage would make it a good or remarkable tournament arc. Assuming arguendo (sorry for the latin, I like to change things up from time to time) that Yu Yu Hakusho is one of the best shonen action series produced (I haven't seen all of it so I can't fairly judge myself), that is a sound enough argument. Though perhaps you could see why that arguement would fall flat with those who don't agree with your ranking of Yu Yu Hakusho in its genre (again not saying that includes myself).
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
It seemed there were quite a few anime that were left off this list. The Dark Tournament of "Yu Yu Hakusho" and the Chunnin exams from "Naruto" but there was a tournament that was also left off this list that I'd like to add here. It's the KC Grand Championship from the original "Yu-Gi-Oh!" series. For me,the fact that it was set in the U.S. was just one of the things I loved about it. It was also a lot of fun to watch!
To me,this was "Yu-Gi-Oh!" at it's best. It proved that you didn't need supernatural,fantasy,or sci-fi elements to make a great "Yu-Gi-Oh!" arc. It had great characters,great duels,and a really neat villain who was an arrogant fashion plate to spice everything up. There were those who thought it was an unnecessary arc. I don't think so. After the dark tone of a number of different arcs,the light tone of this arc was a welcome departure from that. I just enjoyed the Grand Championship arc all around. I loved it and I hope others enjoy it too.
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
With an "add your own" comes the same options under different names again...I saw a Haikyuu OP duplicate and a duplicate for "Tank!" (Cowboy Bebop). Like TheTsunami, I haven't seen the "add your own" option during these polls, but I assume that may be because I'm not logged in when I use the site most times.

If we're talking tournament arcs though, Angelic Layer's national tournament arc (the one where there are varied layers such as "ice field" and "rock pillars") is definitely very cool. Knowing when the anime was released though and the exact niche of Angelic Layer in anime, I can see why it's not up to everyone's standards though.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Adding an additional "No Yu Yu Hakusho Dark Tournament?" voice to this thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5