• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Funimation Announce Partnership to Share Content Via Streaming, Home Video, EST

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
From Crunchyroll's website, this sounds like it won't just affect the US & Canada. The sub titles and territories that they have announced so far:

Cowboy Bebop: US and Canada
Puzzle & Dragons X: US, Canada, UK, Ireland
D-Gray-man HALLOW: US, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands
FIRST LOVE MONSTER: US, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash: US, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark
PSYCHO-PASS: US, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa

So it seems like they are trying to spread at least the English subs as far as they can.

As for other languages, all they state is "We have not announced any other language subs at this time" so I kind of feel like that might be coming too. Understandably, it's going to take awhile to do all the encoding, subs, etc.

Also, seems like there will be download-to-own distribution too.

Quote:
What does this mean if I buy my anime via physical releases?
Funimation will now be producing and distributing home video for select Crunchyroll titles, starting with the Summer 2016 season. Our shows will also be available on all the digital outlets where you buy anime including iTunes, Google Play, PlayStation, Xbox and more.

So, I'm cautiously optimistic. I will like not having to pay for more than one sub subscription and reducing the blocking on other territories is a great thing. I worry about all the dubs sounding similar. Maybe part of Funi's increased budget will be getting a wider range of voice actors. I do wonder what's going to happen with Sentai, though.

@matrixgalaxy, Crunchyroll will still be releasing them. I think it's just a matter of if they do all the producing or if Funimation is going to contribute:

Quote:
What will happen to titles that Crunchyroll has previously announced it will be making for home video?
They will still be released, and will be distributed through our partner, Funimation. Crunchyroll and Funimation will be working together to produce all future titles.

Last edited by gabuhaha on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
MatrixGravity wrote:
Wait, so what about the titles that Crunchyroll originally announced they would be releasing on home video? (Big Order, Berserk, Yamada & The 7 Witches, etc) what will become of those titles? The original article states,

"Crunchyroll had announced at Anime Expo in July that it will start dubbing and releasing some of its anime series on Blu-ray Disc and DVD. In addition to Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Crunchyroll announced plans to release Berserk (new series), Twin Star Exorcists, Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Myriad Colors Phantom World, Big Order, and Gintama on home video with English dubs. According to Funimation, Crunchyroll began the production process on these titles, and Funimation is reviewing the titles based on licensor approval and its own production and release schedule, but the titles have not yet been officially confirmed as part of the partnership.."

This doesn't really sound promising? I was actually looking forward to picking up Myriad Colors Phantom and Yamada and the Seven Witches, but now it seems uncertain if they'll still get released?

According to the F.A.Q on Crunchyroll's and Funimation's site, those titles will be distributed and promoted by Funimation.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Christopher Martinez wrote:
Ok so I wanna make this is clear. Every show funimation has subbed will be moved to crunchyroll and funimation will only be left with their dubs only? And future simulcast shows will be moved to crunchyroll while we gotta wait weeks to watch it in funimation as dubbed only? That kinda sucks.

Yeah, I'm curious exactly how we'll be able to watch the shared content, I guess we got to both sites (and both apps?) since it doesn't sound like they will just linking to each other's players for the two types of episodes.

I wonder how subscriptions are going to work. I guess both will have slightly lower prices to make it more normal to sub to both, but while I didn't have CR, since I had Funi's, CR had other things in their subscription like those store benefits (where you could get money off orders and stuff). So is CR going to have like two tiers of subscriptions?

johnnysasaki wrote:
if they do that to Ace Attorney and Berserk,that already have estabilished voices,they will piss off a lot of people...

The anime didn't seem to do very well at all even with fans (Ace Attorney) so it'll be interesting to see if it gets a dub but Funi has gotten better at bringing back voice casts so I think if they do decide to dub it that it it's not impossible they get the cast back.

For Berserk I'll be curious since it was Viz that got the new movies, but NYAV Post has worked with Funi a couple of times, like when Slayers came back, so even if they were signed on to return their cast from the movies for the new season, I don't think it'll necessarily be a problem. And like the article said, some of those Expo shows that already started production might not change their dubbing partners.

Based on them saying that they will distribute everything I'd be surprised if even those previously started discs (whether or not Funi takes over overseeing the dub) don't take advantage of Funimation's familiarity with producing the actual final disc, which is probably good, since those were going to be CR's very first discs.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
MatrixGravity wrote:
Wait, so what about the titles that Crunchyroll originally announced they would be releasing on home video? (Big Order, Berserk, Yamada & The 7 Witches, etc) what will become of those titles? The original article states,

"Crunchyroll had announced at Anime Expo in July that it will start dubbing and releasing some of its anime series on Blu-ray Disc and DVD. In addition to Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Crunchyroll announced plans to release Berserk (new series), Twin Star Exorcists, Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Myriad Colors Phantom World, Big Order, and Gintama on home video with English dubs. According to Funimation, Crunchyroll began the production process on these titles, and Funimation is reviewing the titles based on licensor approval and its own production and release schedule, but the titles have not yet been officially confirmed as part of the partnership.."

This doesn't really sound promising? I was actually looking forward to picking up Myriad Colors Phantom and Yamada and the Seven Witches, but now it seems uncertain if they'll still get released?

I would think that they still will get released, but schedules might need to be reassessed. CR was already moving forward on these before, and I doubt they would have made the announcements they did at AX if the plan at the time was for Funimation to handle it. CR would want to make good on that announcement, but it might mean making adjustments so Funimation can do it for them.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
So what is with the disconnect here between what is said by FUNimation in ANN's article, with what is said in Crunchyroll's FAQ?
Quote:
In addition to Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Crunchyroll announced plans to release Berserk (new series), Twin Star Exorcists, Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Myriad Colors Phantom World, Big Order, and Gintama on home video with English dubs. According to Funimation, Crunchyroll began the production process on these titles, and Funimation is reviewing the titles based on licensor approval and its own production and release schedule, but the titles have not yet been officially confirmed as part of the partnership.
Quote:
What will happen to titles that Crunchyroll has previously announced it will be making for home video?
They will still be released, and will be distributed through our partner, Funimation. Crunchyroll and Funimation will be working together to produce all future titles.

So which is it? FUNimation leaves open the possibility they may not release some of those titles that were supposedly already confirmed, while Crunchyroll says it's still happening.

The big thing I'm concerned about here (and doesn't seem to be addressed at all by the various announcements) is just what exactly is going to happen with the titles too niche to support a dub? It's already a bit of a disappointing trend for Aniplex not to release niche titles at all on home video. Since I doubt FUNi has the capacity to take on everything between the two companies' home video licenses, it could be that fans of those niche titles will be losing out going forward. Back when many of the Crunchyroll titles were shared from Sentai, you could at least count on being able to own them even if they weren't dubbed.

Last edited by EmperorBrandon on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
This is wow...I don't really see too much of a downside with this. Fans really win in thes scenario, maybe now people won't have to complain when one company picks up a series and not another.

Downside is that they're working their way toward a monopoly without officially becoming one. I view this as a loophole if they manage to damage their competition enough.

EDITED: You've been warned multiple times on such comments. This is your last warning before moderation. --willag

Last edited by Kougeru on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:
So, I'm cautiously optimistic. I will like not having to pay for more than one sub subscription and reducing the blocking on other territories is a great thing. I worry about all the dubs sounding similar. Maybe part of Funi's increased budget will be getting a wider range of voice actors. I do wonder what's going to happen with Sentai, though.

I definitely agree with that. I like it should be more manageable to afford subscribing to both the dub and sub side of the majority of the simulcasts, but I also agree that with Funi expanding their dub selection again (which is awesome!) and their budget for them (again awesome) that hopefully that means they will be able to spread them out a bit or do more crossovers with the studios that work with non-Funi VAs to avoid too much repetition (which they have also been doing a better job on already, like the new Haruhi thing and Zestiria this season, etc). They were doing a rather good job with it as they brought in new VAs and mixed up some expected casting as they first expanded their simuldubs, but if they are indeed expanding on the broadcast dubs again some more collaborations would definitely be cool in helping keep the dub casting fresh with enough variety.

I'm wondering about Sentai as well since they were picking up CR shows.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
BlueRex666 wrote:
Can we please focus on the awesome partnership allowing more anime to get home releases, more streaming opinions, and more dubs? Sad Crying or Very sad

I was praying no one would bring this up.

Not sure why you felt the need to quote me as I was only answering a question asked, clearly you must have missed my glowing comment on page 2 as it's not really more possible to get anymore positive then that.

Sorry I meant to take out your quote, I thought I had. Though I was just kind of talking in general, wasn't trying yo cite you
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

A few broadcast dubs have been recorded in LA thanks to Todd home studio. I disagree with you.

I wasn't referring to US dubs though. Important distinction.
<----------See my location over by my user stuff.

I mean, given that Gintama showed up on the CRTC website back in June ('least I think it was June) and the announcement of Crunchyroll picking up Gintama, I was slightly excited that Crunchyroll would be not just doing US dubs. I was hoping that they'd bring up some anime up to Canada, given how, to put it bluntly, crappy our dollar's doing and would actually be trying to get stuff on TV.

With the announcement of this, that has me questioning whether or not it'll be a thing, if Funi is handling the English Dubs and how reluctant they've been at bringing stuff up here.

I'm just slightly disappointed that nobody's taking advantage of our questionable dollar. Outside of Funi's really questionable release of Kingdom and the ongoing Vanguard dub (which is way better than it has any right to be, outside of Am and Luna!), I can't really think of any notable anime that are getting dubbed up here anymore, outside of maybe the new Beyblade. The last notable thing I recall getting up here was Roberta's Blood Trail and that was years ago.

As for the monopoly, that is what this is looking like. Monopolies are never a good thing because it prevents completion, which in turn enables companies to price gouge and there's nothing you can do about it. I mean, Funi's already doing that with no standalone releases anymore. It's all basically combo packs.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
So what is with the disconnect here between what is said by FUNimation in ANN's article, with what is said in Crunchyroll's FAQ?
Quote:
In addition to Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Crunchyroll announced plans to release Berserk (new series), Twin Star Exorcists, Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Myriad Colors Phantom World, Big Order, and Gintama on home video with English dubs. According to Funimation, Crunchyroll began the production process on these titles, and Funimation is reviewing the titles based on licensor approval and its own production and release schedule, but the titles have not yet been officially confirmed as part of the partnership.
Quote:

So which is it? FUNimation leaves open the possibility they may not release some of those titles that were supposedly already confirmed, while Crunchyroll says it's still happening.

Maybe just my interpretation of it but it seems as though some titles may not be dubbed inhouse by funimation but possibly other studio's, isn't Gintama reportedly being dubbed by Ocean? Or maybe for just those specific titles were planned before the partnership and Crunchy has already started dubbing certain ones so Funi is waiting to see which of those specific titles they'll be dubbing. Certainly sounds like at the end all of them are getting dubbed still but the vagueness and differences between both FAQ's does beg for clarification.

BlueRex666 wrote:
Sorry I meant to take out your quote, I thought I had. Though I was just kind of talking in general, wasn't trying yo cite you

It's okay! Anime smile Was just confused as I wasn't sure if you were refering to me as well with the comment haha

Last edited by DuchessBianca on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
idkAlan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
gabuhaha wrote:

I definitely agree with that. I like it should be more manageable to afford subscribing to both the dub and sub side of the majority of the simulcasts, but I also agree that with Funi expanding their dub selection again (which is awesome!) and their budget for them (again awesome) that hopefully that means they will be able to spread them out a bit or do more crossovers with the studios that work with non-Funi VAs to avoid too much repetition (which they have also been doing a better job on already, like the new Haruhi thing and Zestiria this season, etc). They were doing a rather good job with it as they brought in new people as they first expanded their simuldubs, but if they are indeed expanding on the broadcast dubs again some more collaborations would definitely help keep the dub casts fresh.

I'm wondering about Sentai as well.

Actually it feels more like Funimation and Crunchyroll realized that because Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and now Yahoo are dipping their feet in the anime market, Funi and Cr would have to get together and try to withstand the newer, more financially stronger players.

So Sentai, Diskotek, Nisa, Media Blasters, and maybe Viz might suffer the harshest fate.
Though because Viz is backed by Shuisha and Viz is on friendly terms with both Funi and Cr, I could see Viz entering this deal

Last edited by idkAlan on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
This is wow...I don't really see too much of a downside with this. Fans really win in thes scenario, maybe now people won't have to complain when one company picks up a series and not another.

Downside is that they're working their way toward a monopoly without officially becoming one. I view this as a loophole if they manage to damage their competition enough.

The first part is kinda true. Though if Amazon and Netflix were going to further push into anime which seems possible with the deal for Noitamina stuff and Netflix grabbing Ajin and Sidonia (though Sentai then got it for BD/DVD), then it's not impossible they are doing it because they see them eyeing the market since those are bigger.

idkAlan said it better too regarding the "newcomers" to the market.

EmperorBrandon wrote:

The big thing I'm concerned about here (and doesn't seem to be addressed at all by the various announcements) is just what exactly is going to happen with the titles too niche to support a dub? It's already a bit of a disappointing trend for Aniplex not to release niche titles at all on home video. Since I doubt FUNi has the capacity to take on everything between the two companies' home video licenses, it could be that fans of those niche titles will be losing out going forward. Back when many of the Crunchyroll titles were shared from Sentai, you could at least count on being able to own them even if they weren't dubbed.

I think the first was just them covering themselves since they probably haven't had the chance to completely look over the work that has already been done on them, including the dubs since they obviously were using other dubbing companies (like Bang Zoom or whomever) on their own or maybe CR will continue to handle production on those and then Funi will just make the actual discs and distribute them.
I also wouldn't be surprised if the later answer in the FAQ means that even if they don't change that side of the production that they may take over the actual disc production since those were going to be CR's first attempt at making discs anyway.

As for the shows that are too niche to be dubbed, I think part of this deal is for those shows to be as few as possible and limited to just the super niche that are deemed completely in-affordable to dub (like Funi's old days). With both companies and streaming still being "separate" and the subscriptions still being separate I can't imagine Funi wants too many shows that only have a subbed version on CR that no one watches on their own site since they won't be posting subs on their own site/subscription (and CR won't be adding to their dubs like they were going to) anymore. I guess there must be some kind of financial agreements too though considering that some people only subscribed to one or both based on their dubs or subs and therefore will lose some subscribers (like Funi's sub-only plan), and with the subs still coming out a few weeks sooner.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:

if they do that to Ace Attorney and Berserk,that already have estabilished voices,they will piss off a lot of people...

The funny thing about this is that the people complaining about this would largely be disregarding the fact that outside of few instances within the games the games themselves aren't known for having fully spoken dialog.

Яeverse wrote:

Zestiria kept the main voices for characters, so I dont see why we would Assume Ace Attorney dub couldnt...though will it be worth it, I dont recall seeing many game fans being please with the ace attorney anime.

Some quality issues and weird changes aside it's not remotely bad from the perspective of it being an adaptation.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I want to be excited for this, given the simplification/quasi-unification of options and it does answer a lot of questions from CR's big recent news, but I really don't like the sound of FUNimation handling the dubs (pun half-intended). I have not been a fan of their work (both in style and quality) for years and have all but stopped listening to them, so CR announcing dubs and releases felt like the beginning of a potential alternative to FUNimation. Now, it increasingly sounds like you cannot escape from their shadow. Even though I have fewer complaints about their discs and packaging (not perfect but the quality can be pretty good), I just don't like the idea of a company having so much of an presence on the scene, much less one I have reservations (more than I have listed) about.

The other big negative is that this potentially solidifies the monopoly for dubs in Texas. I was really looking forward to hearing more of the L.A. market again (or, if NYAV were tapped, a bit of the N.Y. one, too), but that now sounds less than likely.

Overall, this news feels like both a monumental game-changer and more-of-the-same…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:
From Crunchyroll's website, this sounds like it won't just affect the US & Canada. The sub titles and territories that they have announced so far:

Cowboy Bebop: US and Canada
Puzzle & Dragons X: US, Canada, UK, Ireland
D-Gray-man HALLOW: US, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands
FIRST LOVE MONSTER: US, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash: US, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark
PSYCHO-PASS: US, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa

So it seems like they are trying to spread at least the English subs as far as they can.

Well I figured it would take a least a week or two for them to start putting shows out in other regions so that's great news Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13