• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mr. Osomatsu Animation Director Interested in Working on 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RahviTheColourful

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
for the success it had they will sure make more even though in my eyes this anime was pure trash couldn't even watch the 1st episode in full.

The first episode has absolutely nothing to do with the rest, though, even the art style is completely different and it's just one huge parody.
I love the show and can hardly stand that one either.

That said, while a crappy second season could definitely ruin what they have (better stop while you're ahead), I think this show has room for going on a bit longer without the quality dropping if they do it right. I've been following fan works on Pixiv and Nico video and there's a lot of really fun stuff. They can definitely still build up on this.

I for one would love to see all the other characters get more screentime. I love Totoko and their parents but hardly got to do anything so far. Iyami and Chibita got totally kicked out of the spotlight too. I get that the sextuplets sell (Osomatsu fangirl myself), but really guys?
Hugh Mungus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, they actually announce a second season, and not constantly teasing everyone, or secretly air the second season out of nowhere that disappoints everyone because the studio thought that it was funny to piss off everyone.

*cough* Endless Eight *cough*

But honestly, I'd be cool with a second season.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
The news to me is that they're NOT working on a second season. I was certain that they were.

GATSU wrote:
This isn't just about money. A crappy 'sophomore slump'-type follow-up can hurt the brand.

On the other hand, the second season was when shows like The Simpsons, South Park, Criminal Minds, Codename: Kids Next Door, and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic hit their stride and really took off. It can go either way.

I think Osomatsu actually has enough material to go indefinitely, since a story can potentially be about anything. Nothing is too absurd, and nothing is too mundane. The only limits are their imagination. I consider it The Simpsons of Japanese television in its subversive humor, biting satire, and colorful characters with a lot of heart in its center, but in its narrative variety, it's closer to Doctor Who or Saturday Night Live. Those are shows that don't have to stay within any set of boundaries except the loosest possible ones,and as a result, these are shows that have literally gone on for decades and decades and continue to be very well-liked.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
I'm all for having a Season 2 of Osomatsu-san! Smile I just hope it'll have better luck than Season 1...
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
leafy: Well, those were original shows, and Mr. Osomatsu was meant to be a hipper and edgier take on a vintage title. So I can easily see it run out of steam.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I really have to wonder why it's taking them so long. Osomatsu-san was the biggest new mainstream hit the industry's seen in years. And it's not like it's a show that demands flashy expensive animation (like, say, Attack on Titan 2 no doubt will.) I'm really curious as to what the hold-up is. Maybe key staff members are working on other shows right now?
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I really have to wonder why it's taking them so long. Osomatsu-san was the biggest new mainstream hit the industry's seen in years. And it's not like it's a show that demands flashy expensive animation (like, say, Attack on Titan 2 no doubt will.) I'm really curious as to what the hold-up is. Maybe key staff members are working on other shows right now?

The director and the scriptwriter are busy with Classicaloid airing this fall. I'm going to assume they'll announce it when the show ends.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern: That's exactly the reason they're not jumping on greenlighting another one. They didn't expect the show to take off the way it did. It was probably just meant to be alternate programming, and somehow it became a viral thing which might be even bigger than the original manga was, back in the day. So they obviously do not want to do it wrong and hurt their winning streak.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2