• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Berserk

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
(...I really do miss Susumu Hirasawa's soundtrack. The music in the 2016 does a fine enough job, but Hirasawa's had such a unique flavor that I really miss.)

Hirasawa is doing the soundtrack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCnqcpE4ugI
Etrien

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
traffiktiger wrote:

I meant other than the stands-out-like-a(n awesome)-sore-thumb "Hai yo", which seems to serve as Guts's theme in this one. The world may have changed, but at least Guts is still toting Hirasawa's beats around with him. Unfortunately, most of the songs in that link aren't from the 2016 anime, but rather other Berserk projects. The encyclopedia lists the anime's composer as Shiro Sagisu, who also did the movies (minus the opening, and I think ending, themes).
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
traffiktiger wrote:

I meant other than the stands-out-like-a(n awesome)-sore-thumb "Hai yo", which seems to serve as Guts's theme in this one. The world may have changed, but at least Guts is still toting Hirasawa's beats around with him. Unfortunately, most of the songs in that link aren't from the 2016 anime, but rather other Berserk projects. The encyclopedia lists the anime's composer as Shiro Sagisu, who also did the movies (minus the opening, and I think ending, themes).

I'm sorry. Embarassed I thought you meant he wasn't involved. My mistake.
I hope in the April 2, 2017 announcement, which Hirasawa is going to attend, there will be an announcement of the continuation of the series. I hope he will be involved in it also. Maybe we will get new tracks & he will do the whole thing.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
Wow, last episode was great. Beginning to wish I'd waited until the end of the season so I could marathon this.
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Wow, last episode was great. Beginning to wish I'd waited until the end of the season so I could marathon this.

Many people hated on Ajin’s art style just like this show, but they ended up liking it because they marathoned it & watched it like a movie. They saw how good it was without going OCD each week & crapping on each episodes art style. This 3D art style works well with action movies & shows being binged that have a lot of movement especially when the animators have to animate a lot of characters moving at once.

I think the studio might cut this show into a film(s) which highlights the stronger parts of the animation. It will help recoup the cost of the show & might help fund a continuation of the series, which I really want.
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
What I got out of the Golden Age movie trilogy is that the Skull Knight is the sworn archenemy of the God Hand, who destroyed his kingdom 1000 years prior to the most recent Eclipse. Not really sure where the manga goes with it, but I think that's at least what we're supposed to believe at this point.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:07 am Reply with quote
Crazy good cliffhanger with the angels standing in front of Guts and that amazing soundtrack. These later episodes have all been really great, especially the fight sequences. Can't wait for the real battle to start.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
I completely forgot Casca had a kid. Shocked
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
The direction and pacing were pitch-perfect this episode. The only part that was really terrible was that awful hallway shot,where the compositing on the 2D and CG animation was laughable (along with the director deciding to zoom in on it). With Skull Knight saving Luca,she just happened to be in the way while he was chasing the Egg Apostle, Am hoping the show at least touches on on Serpico's relationship with Farnese,which isn't romantic in the least when revealed.

They'd have to skip a lot really the only point that would a be good ending for the season is when spoiler[Serpico and Farnese convince Guts let them accompany him].

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
The score that played then Skullknight ran down the tower, was anyone else remaindered of the theme that played in Baccano when the rail tracer appeared.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
SPOILER//////////////////////////////SPOILER///////////////////////////////////////////////////////SPOILER//////////

For anyone hoping for nina to get her comeuppance or whatever,don't hold your breath. She is in the arc for a reason,to serve as a contrast to the rest of the characters who are blindly throwing their lives away. And you're definitely not gonna learn anything about the skull knight this arc.

SPOILER END//////////////////////SPOILER END//////////////////////////////////////////SPOILER END/////////

As for the episode,definitely the best yet,i'm still kinda worried we might get another 97 cliffhanger on our hand,but we shall see.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
The Skull Knight is indeed one of the biggest mysteries in the series. I'm not going to spoil anyone with future manga-only knowledge, but here are some hints from the Golden Age CGI movies for those who may have forgotten.

spoiler[There is a scene when they go to rescue Griffith from the dungeon where the princess tells the band of the hawk about the history of the tower and the story of King Gaiseric, Midland's first king who conquered the land and always wore a skull-shaped helmet. Apparently he was so corrupt that God sent 4 angels to destroy him and they laid waste to his capital. We also see the old ruins of said capital along with piles of corpses wearing the brand of sacrifice.]

Beyond that everything is speculation. spoiler[The knight seems to have a personal grudge against the God Hand and Void (the big-brained guy) in particular. One popular fan-theory is that he went through the exact same thing Guts did 1000 years ago and that Void used his kingdom as a sacrifice to become the latest God Hand before Griffith.]

Hopefully that was helpful to someone who wants to cath up without decking through the entire manga or the previous movies.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
The Skull Knight is indeed one of the biggest mysteries in the series. I'm not going to spoil anyone with future manga-only knowledge, but here are some hints from the Golden Age CGI movies for those who may have forgotten.

spoiler[There is a scene when they go to rescue Griffith from the dungeon where the princess tells the band of the hawk about the history of the tower and the story of King Gaiseric, Midland's first king who conquered the land and always wore a skull-shaped helmet. Apparently he was so corrupt that God sent 4 angels to destroy him and they laid waste to his capital. We also see the old ruins of said capital along with piles of corpses wearing the brand of sacrifice.]

Beyond that everything is speculation. spoiler[The knight seems to have a personal grudge against the God Hand and Void (the big-brained guy) in particular. One popular fan-theory is that he went through the exact same thing Guts did 1000 years ago and that Void used his kingdom as a sacrifice to become the latest God Hand before Griffith.]

Hopefully that was helpful to someone who wants to cath up without decking through the entire manga or the previous movies.

spoiler[ It's pretty much the only hint we get of him and his past. well that,and he had a friend in schierke's master. the legend also mentions that he was a terrible ruler of his kingdom. but other than that,nada. ]
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
That episode surely went by fast, and I'm not sure if that was for the best. Perhaps because when I read it I knew that most of the question the reviewer poses would be answered as I kept reading without waiting for the publication of each chapter, but I felt those chapters a little slower, with more time to pick up these questions and remember them.

On the other side, at least half (probably more than half) of those questions remain unanswered, so it's better to skim through them, get to the action scene as fast as possible and so people will forget most of them or expect them when and if there is another season.

Just saying, I recommend lowering expectations in terms of sheer brutality like the Golden Age arc made us accustomed to, especially when it comes to villains. Wyald (not included in movies or first anime), the Baron and the first Apostle we saw might be some of the only examples of batshit insane "demons". Like yeah, we usually expect demons to be super crazy and destroying stuff, but after this arc most of the really important villains (God Hands and Apostles, mainly) are more on Nosferatu Zodd's vein.

What I mean by Nosferatu Zodd's vein is the dignified, honourable type, almost like nobles. Mozgus and his lackeys are surely screwed up in their ways but they certainly don't act the type of having something bad in their brains, if you know what I mean, and this will become a trend into the later arcs.
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I like that Muira uses Nina to explore the usual expectations of "karma" attached to her character type. Thus far, pretty much every "self-serving" choice she has made has the audience expecting her to die as punishment for her selfishness, because that's just what happens to characters like her, right?

This is not that fantasy world. The karmic hands of God are unadulterated not-so-nice-people of the highest order, going out of the way to contrive arbitrary suffering for anyone caught up with Guts and Casca. The choices Nina has made, for whatever reasons, have also brought Guts and Casca together again, and are even having an indirect influence on Farnese and Serpico that may see them changed for the better. Does she really deserve to die for failing to adhere to some abstract morality, or is there a still a chance for her to find a new way of life?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 20