• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Are Anime Fans Obsessed with Steven Universe?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
The inmates are already running the asylum with Steven. It's why that show is a total wash. In Arrow's case, the problem was appealing to this Mary Sue OC due to demand from tumblrinas, and making all the characters from the original look bad and even killing them off to promote the awful original characters. (The show runner went as far as to say there's no show without the Mary Sue OC's and he's never getting rid of them, ensuring the show remains garbage.)

That's what I'm worried is going to happen to Voltron. That all the stupid headcanons with yaoi ships and the girl being transgender for no good goddamn reason are shoehorned in and ruin the show because tumblr fans, most of them imported from SU, are insane. At that point it might as well not even have a giant robot since nearly all the tumblrinas think the show would be better without it. The thing the show is named after.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The inmates are already running the asylum with Steven. It's why that show is a total wash.

That soon?
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Maybe it's because I started watching Friendship Is Magic around Season 3, but that's the first I ever heard of that headcanon.

I only paid attention to the fandom back at the beginning/peak so season 1ish. Actually haven't heard much brony cringe in awhile. All these new fandoms overshadowed it.

HeeroTX wrote:
I'm curious if Lord Oink meant "Accel World" fat-&-ugly or "One Piece" fat-&-ugly. I love both shows

I dunno what you mean. Neither of those seem similar to SU's designs. One Piece has some weird character designs sometimes, but they're usually creative looking and not realistic to begin with so I doubt Oda is trying to make some kind of statement about fat acceptance

Last edited by Lord Oink on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

I'm curious if Lord Oink meant "Accel World" fat-&-ugly or "One Piece" fat-&-ugly. I love both shows, but while I appreciate the fact that the MC in AW is "fat and ugly", that is also important for the specific narrative they are telling and is relevant to the character. I love One Piece, but I was initially put off by the design aesthetic and only got into the manga after curiosity about a specific character, which then got me hooked on the story. GTO is another one that I am not fond of the art style, but love the story. In a similar vein, I can totally understand people that're put off by SU's design aesthetic along with many other CN shows (like Adventure Time).

Yeah that's understandable, though I always find it a little ironic when anime fans tell people to expand their horizons and try something new; yet it's western fans who tend to be more open to different types of art styles.

Stuart Smith wrote:

I've only seen like 2 episodes of SU so I have no idea how legit some of the gay/trans/etc themes are, but I know people love to project on shows, and censors wouldn't let the do much anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the characters never actually say the word gay/lesbian or "this is my girlfriend/wife" do they?

Heheheh, Ruby and Sapphire are outright stated and shown flirting with each other. There's no getting around that, censors be damned! Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ5sZuRZHK4

(Also, all alien Gems are girls, so they have no concept of gender, no husband/wife, no boyfriend/girlfriend difference.)
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Yeah that's understandable, though I always find it a little ironic when anime fans tell people to expand their horizons and try something new; yet it's western fans who tend to be more open to different types of art styles

I think you're confusing "having standards" with "being close minded". If you're an anime fan it's totally understandable you would be put off by those art styles if you're used to shows with lots of detail and effort put into them. Anime has plenty of different art styles but they still manage to be appealing and well-crafted.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yeah that's understandable, though I always find it a little ironic when anime fans tell people to expand their horizons and try something new; yet it's western fans who tend to be more open to different types of art styles

I think you're confusing "having standards" with "being close minded". If you're an anime fan it's totally understandable you would be put off by those art styles if you're used to shows with lots of detail and effort put into them. Anime has plenty of different art styles but they still manage to be appealing and well-crafted.

Anime actually is a minimalism art style - one of Japan's classic mantra is "less is more." That's why some details like noses and muscle lines tend to disappear. Western animation tends to put more detail because that's how people got used to it in their comics. The renowned Scott McCloud pyramid:

Effort though, yeah anime does put more effort per dollar spent, especially on the backgrounds and costumes. But when there's a lot of money involved like with movies, western animation do put a lot of effort especially on movement (animation) and facial expressions.

Now we get back to that word "appealing." As I mentioned before, that's a matter of opinion. What's appealing to your eye may not be appealing to somebody else's, and what's appealing to somebody else's eye may not be appealing to you. Heck, for instance, take a look at classic Marvel animation art style - lots of detail and movement, but to some it's appealing, to some it's not:

Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I liked Steven Universe quite a lot. I really enjoyed a lot of the characterization and how effectively it was at telling tight, intimate emotional stories. It really hit my aesthetic sweet spot sometimes. I only put that in the past tense because when I dispensed with cable service or equivalents, I could no longer readily continue watching it. I hope to see the episodes produced since I stopped, which I think was at the end of season two, some day. I was unaware of any complaints about the fanbase, but that's because I know better than to subject myself to Tumblr. Whoops? (This thread is also reminding me of part of why it's sometimes a bad idea to expose myself to ANN)

Beatdigga wrote:
...That all the stupid headcanons with yaoi ships and the girl being transgender for no good goddamn reason are shoehorned in and ruin the show because tumblr fans, most of them imported from SU, are insane. At that point it might as well not even have a giant robot since nearly all the tumblrinas think the show would be better without it. The thing the show is named after.

What would you consider a, "good goddamn reason," for a character to be transgender and why is one necessary?

Look, Tumblr is bad; it makes good ideas bad, mediocre ideas terrible and bad ideas unfathomable ancient evils from the abyss. By now everybody knows this. That seems like reason to be really skeptical about the claims of their influence, because that also makes it a very easy scapegoat and contrivance for dismissing an audience that isn't you when its preferences are catered to instead of yours. When criticism consists mostly of ranting against 'those people' changing something, it makes the honesty of the criticism at least mildly suspect.

Lord Oink wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

"Having standards," is sort of meaningless to anybody else in a conversation unless those standards, and the values that they assume, are defined and defended. I'm not sure how feasible that is, which makes this all more frustrating that it already was. I have standards, at least in the sense that I have a set of preferences, too and I think that Steven Universe is pretty neat looking.

What you're working from here seem more like prejudices. This paragraph is pretty much all assertion and no actual argument. And look, buddy, if detail is your criterion for quality, let me tell you about Rob Liefeld. Dude put lines everywhere!

Ultimately, I suspect that the problem is this: What can anybody reply to claim like that with? "Na-ah?" "Your standards are bad and you should feel bad?" Dear God, not *shudder* THAT'S YOUR OPINION?"

It's pretty hopeless.

There's a set of anime fans who appear deeply invested in the all-consuming superiority of Japanese cartoons and nearly everything else Japanese as well, by contrast, in the inferiority of anything American. They make very strong claims derived from a very constrained conceptions of what's good, but don't often really substantiate or argue them thoroughly and persuasively, much less explore ideas, explain phenomena or provide good information in a way concordant with the strength of their claims. It's almost as though they've translated the habits and psychology of ethnic nationalism to liking Japanese cartoons, although I would wager that they're not Japanese. (Not that this would make it better, just more explicable) Perversely enough, they remind me a little of affluent white kids from the suburbs who indulge in performative radicalicam and almost compete to be the loudest, most radical social justice warriors.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:

I've only seen like 2 episodes of SU so I have no idea how legit some of the gay/trans/etc themes are, but I know people love to project on shows, and censors wouldn't let the do much anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the characters never actually say the word gay/lesbian or "this is my girlfriend/wife" do they?

Heheheh, Ruby and Sapphire are outright stated and shown flirting with each other. There's no getting around that, censors be damned! Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ5sZuRZHK4

(Also, all alien Gems are girls, so they have no concept of gender, no husband/wife, no boyfriend/girlfriend difference.)

Then there's that more recent episode where Pearl sings about how she loved Rose Quartz and how she lost her to Greg.

They don't ever use the words 'lesbian', 'gay' or whatever, but at the same time it most certainly isn't very subtle, especially not in this episode. Instead of saying 'subtle', I'd say it's 'natural', and that's exactly what LGBT characters SHOULD be in media. Not "Here, look at me!" (which usually ends up just stereotyping/making fun of LGBT people).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
(This thread is also reminding me of part of why it's sometimes a bad idea to expose myself to ANN)

Personally, I think that that it's the Talkback forum where the most/biggest problems are found. Please don't hesitate to click on the report icon for problematic posts.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I suggest you watch the rude insults Beatdigga. You're more than entitled to not like SU but blatantly and rudely insulting fans and then suggesting they're going to also ruin Voltron is not going to be tolerated. If you can't present your opinions without insulting others or putting them down then don't post.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

What would you consider a, "good goddamn reason," for a character to be transgender and why is one necessary?

Look, Tumblr is bad; it makes good ideas bad, mediocre ideas terrible and bad ideas unfathomable ancient evils from the abyss. By now everybody knows this. That seems like reason to be really skeptical about the claims of their influence, because that also makes it a very easy scapegoat and contrivance for dismissing an audience that isn't you when its preferences are catered to instead of yours. When criticism consists mostly of ranting against 'those people' changing something, it makes the honesty of the criticism at least mildly suspect.

Sure.

In this case, it would ruin the moral of the reason for that character being a girl. Namely, the revelation of such, and nearly everyone's almost casual, flippant dismissal of it (as in, "we figured it out already, it's not a big deal") was meant to show the idea of having a token female in an action cartoon was a dead notion, and it didn't matter if they were male or female. What making the character transgender would do not only dilutes that moral, but also has the rather insulting context that a woman who isn't overly feminine must be male or transgender. That's why I hate the idea. It destroys a pretty good and necessary, considering some shows, moral, and becomes very squicky in the process.

As for the gay thing, few shows write characters who just happen to be gay, as if it's just a part of their existence. Usually, with a straight character, sexual orientation or need can be anywhere from first to tenth on a bucket list of things which affect their actions and motivations. With a gay character, it feels like more often than not, with a few notable exceptions, the character being gay is first, foremost, and oftentimes their only character trait, and that's just bad writing.

Finally, I saw how the influence of these fans killed Arrow by pushing the fandom Mary Sue, and I don't want it to happen to other shows.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Steven Universe looks like an interesting show but damn do I have zero interest in watching something with lesbians or lesbian subtext in it.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

If they're genderless how can they be girls? It seems a bit like cheating to me since the red one looks like a boy, and using a genderless species isn't the same as human characters. Like how shows get around racism or death censorship by using monsters, robots or aliens. It's generally not seen as a problem as long as human characters don't deal with it. Couldn't you apply all this to Transformers as well since they're genderless aliens as well?

-Stuart Smith
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

If they're genderless how can they be girls? It seems a bit like cheating to me since the red one looks like a boy, and using a genderless species isn't the same as human characters. Like how shows get around racism or death censorship by using monsters, robots or aliens. It's generally not seen as a problem as long as human characters don't deal with it. Couldn't you apply all this to Transformers as well since they're genderless aliens as well?

-Stuart Smith

Funny thing about that was that the Transformers had a few comics about making a genderless species female, one that's essentially a big lampooning of feminist complaints, and the other a much more serious look into it, showing giving a genderless creature gender would cause serious psychological problems.

Of course, the more recent IDW comics, essentially called bullcrap on that (one female writer outright called the notion insulting) and now there's both male and female Transformers, for better or worse.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

A race without gender can still have gender identification, and if they identify as female and request others refer to them as female pronouns, then as far as the story is concerned, they are female. Kind of like how in Staw Wars, everyone refers to R2-D2 as male, using pronouns like "he" and "him" and never "it," even though R2-D2 does not lookor sound like a male or female anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 20