• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Thunderbolt Fantasy

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Haven't caught up to the released episodes yet, but has there been an announced delay on the reviews? Episode 7 aired today.

That said, Saber and Assassin talking things out was wonderfully entertaining. I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't see them fight, but Merlin going "I'll just take him with me!" was hilarious.
開明獸

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
Well if this script takes any style from what Pili usually do then the more likely outcome is that Tengai isn't the final boss, once he's defeated one or many of the party would reveal that its their plot all along to use the others in this group to take out Tengai , and maybe even re open the demon realm or something extreme.

And it might not even be the usual suspects. Like maybe it's actually Dan Fei thats evil lol
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Wow, Miè Tiān Hái is rockin' some serious lashes there! Even Dānny girl comes up short next to him. It's a sin to keep those lovely green eyes hidden behind a mask, dude. Smile

This was really a stand-out episode for me. Lancer's chat with the princess was perfect. I sympathize with his bewilderment, since she was the one who brought up passing the techniques down her line.

They're clearly messing with Saber though. Archer says he can't hit a tiny moving target, but then saves him by hitting an even tinier, faster-moving target. And Screaming Assassin makes me chuckle just looking at his constantly sulky expression and hearing his dry as bones delivery (plus, I still marvel over his hairstyle when he's onscreen - I've never seen anything quite like it). But the most amusing part of the episode was the Hotbox Zombie Rave with Merlin merrily directing Caster's song, complete with pipe-baton.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
The series started to drag a bit for me in the last couple episodes, but episode 6 really brought it back for me, and episode 7 continued to be incredibly strong, as well. I got that giddy feeling I got back when I watched episode 1, I'm also getting a really strong vibe that Merlin is actually the real big bad, or at least also a bad guy. Dude's too shady to be completely good, unless that's some really good misdirection. We'll see. Thunderbolt Fantasy continues to be one of my favorite shows of the season.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Not quite sure how this happened, but if this trend continues i'm gonna ship Lancer with pretty much everyone soon: so far it's his big bro, Assassin and the Princess! Laughing

And poor Saber sure had it rough this week, that sure looked like it was on purpose (and it was amusing as hell!). Can't wait to see more of our dysfunctional little family's adventures.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute, these are the best episodes yet with some amazing skills creating them and the reviewer rates them lower because she thinks something better is coming? I can picture Saber shaking his head and banging it with his hand.

Not only were these episodes great, they were hysterically funny with the band getting Saber to do all their work.
ShalaKairos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm betting everyone but Saber (any maybe Lancer) are planning to steal the magic sword once it is put back together. Maybe Merlin's plan for Saber is for him to defeat the others in the group so Merlin can win out.

Love this show!!
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
One thing I'm finding interesting is that the conflict has largely been coming from the frictions between the protagonists, rather than from the apparent Big Bad and the attacks of his minions. I don't know if that's typical of Pili, or if that's Urobuchi's cynical streak peaking through the writing. Either way, it's intriguing.
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I think Saber's biggest problems stem from two of his personality traits: he's practical and responsible.

Practical - it's raining, he sees an unattended umbrella, so he uses it. Targetted by a gang you cannot avoid - take out their boss. If you have a magic sword, why don't you use it to beat the evil guy. How did he cross the Wastelands - he walked. Cannot find weakpoint on Stone Golem - activate it to expose it.

Responsible - agrees and follows through on Buddha request. Looks out for those younger then him. When he realizes he does not know enough, he tries to gather more information before acting.

Saber's problem with the rest of the group is that they do not seem to be holding up their end. No one told him he was outside of the ward's zone, or what to expect of it. No one mentioned that the song might need to be adjusted once in the Valley of the Dead. No one else was willing to run interference on the Stone Golem, despite how obvious the solution was. Archer then failed to hit the target he specifically came along for. And after all of that, Saber is then belittled for his contributions thus far.

Easy to see why he would be upset. Worse, while the only questionable thing about Saber is his origin story (which fully supports how he has acted so far), he is treated as the suspicious one. Rather than Merlin, who just happened to know the location of the bad guy, the traps on the way, how to defuse the traps, who to speak to for help, how to persuade them, and considerable other resources (casually buys a boat). And no one seems to be willing to explain why that might be reasonable to expect of Merlin.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
No wonder Merlin is voiced by Robin Hood; he's a filthy thief! He's even smoking a cigarette in his first card art!

And it occurs to me only now how light-hearted this is for an Urobuchi work. It only took the pure-hearted power of puppets to lift him from his depressive malaise.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
"...he is in fact a legendary stuff-taker known for annoying people all across the land."

Miss Ekens, you have such a lovely way with words. Never change.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit annoyed that we never got to see Assassin actually play that damn flute after all the fuss that was made over it...but other than that, it was another fun episode. I am constantly in awe at how much detail is put into the props and scenery, i'll have to rewatch the show at some point to pay closer attention to all of it.

As for Merlin, i suspect he'll turn out to be an annoying legendary stuff-taker with a heart of gold or something like that... Wink
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I like how they don't jump to the conclusion that he has betrayed them, and instead consider that it could be a ploy to sneak in and get both pieces. A lot of them the time in fiction when someone pretends to betray their side, they never consider the possibility.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
Oh man that was an excellent episode! Character development and secrets brought to light and an unexpected fight and an ending that makes it hard to wait for next week. I love this show.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
So Urobuchi has finally started to kill off my precious badass puppets. RIP, sexy Assassin. Sad

That sword fight looked awesome, though and i'm almost willing to forgive our main baddie because of his stunningly pretty eyes...but i've been wondering, was Assassin seriously intending to kill Vape Thief ( i love this nick, btw)? He apparently knew that he couldn't win the battle against Mr. Villain, so wouldn't it have been wiser to get rid of Vape Thief first?
It's a shame we never found out what it was exactly that made them enemies (and Vape Thief-san did seem sad about Assassin's death as far as i could tell).

Well, looking forward to the confrontation with our by-now-probably-pretty-pissed-off Hero next week...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11